Miway insurance claim goes one way

streetfighter

Can I justy ask the question. Why all these threats against the insurer, Hellopeter, ombudsman, press..... They have offered to repair the frame. If that is what the policy wording says they need to do then they are pretty much doing what you paid them to do.

Someone dinged my car. The insurance company said to take it to a panel beater to have it reaired,

Surely I am entitled to a new car as a repaired one is not putting me in the same position as I had been ?

I feel ripped off !!

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that the OP is still searching for policy docs has me worried for the outcome.

You may be farting against thunder if the policy doc states repair, within means before replacement.

An insurance policy is only as good as the document you sign. If you did not read the doc, and you signed it, you will have great difficulty fighting it legally. It's a tough lesson you will only have to learn once.

Someone dinged my car. The insurance company said to take it to a panel beater to have it reaired,

Surely I am entitled to a new car as a repaired one is not putting me in the same position as I had been ?

I feel ripped off !!

This is a very blunt way to look at this incident. Secondly, if a panelbeater had recommended the insurer to write-off, they would do that. The same should apply to a bike. The workshop recommended replacement and they are an approved bike shop on the panel. The frame should not have been needed to go to a different place.

At the end of the day, you go with a direct insurer, this is the hassles you go through. If you had a broker, he would have done all the fighting for you. Now you're dealing with a call centre agent who quite frankly could not care less about your situation.

This is a very blunt way to look at this incident. Secondly, if a panelbeater had recommended the insurer to write-off, they would do that. The same should apply to a bike. The workshop recommended replacement and they are an approved bike shop on the panel. The frame should not have been needed to go to a different place.

At the end of the day, you go with a direct insurer, this is the hassles you go through. If you had a broker, he would have done all the fighting for you. Now you're dealing with a call centre agent who quite frankly could not care less about your situation.

The panel beater may recommend a new car, but the assessor is the one that needs to confirm the quote/claim.

The panel beater may recommend a new car, but the assessor is the one that needs to confirm the quote/claim.

Yes, you are correct. I was just trying to make a point though with the other poster as he came across a bit sarcastic.

This is a very blunt way to look at this incident. Secondly, if a panelbeater had recommended the insurer to write-off, they would do that. The same should apply to a bike. .

In any event, in this case it was not the "panel beater" who said it product should be replaced, but the dealer who would be making a new sale.

Ek se maar net.......

Yes, you are correct. I was just trying to make a point though with the other poster as he came across a bit sarcastic.

eddy...sarcastic???

never.....

eddy...sarcastic???

never.....

Corrrect. Never sarcastic, but sometimes he speaks in parables.;-)

In any event, in this case it was not the "panel beater" who said it product should be replaced, but the dealer who would be making a new sale.

Ek se maar net.......

See this is the part people see to forget, obviously the bike shops would want to push for a new sale, they dont make money from carbon repairs.

This just got me thinking. It is no wonder that there are so many cars on the road that shouldnt in the first place be there. If a car is written off by the assessor then it should stay that way. Instead like what is happening here, a different assessor is used so that the car can be straightened etc. Just horrible death traps these suspension chassis straightened machines. 

Op you have to get a new frame, fight for it.

Also, it's dificult to compare a car to a bike. Personally, if a frame cracked, I wouldn't trust it. It's the main component of the bike where all the weight, impact etc sit on. I wouldn't accept what Miway has told me because in this case it's a safety concern.

Get another opinion on it and try your luck with the ombudsman. Miway might state in their wording about repairing, but if it's a safety concern, they don't have a leg to stand on. Just try your luck, you've nothing to lose.

This just got me thinking. It is no wonder that there are so many cars on the road that shouldnt in the first place be there. If a car is written off by the assessor then it should stay that way. Instead like what is happening here, a different assessor is used so that the car can be straightened etc. Just horrible death traps these suspension chassis straightened machines. 

Op you have to get a new frame, fight for it.

The motor industry has managed to get itself almost set up as being "outside the law". It has consistently argued that laws like the CPA can't apply to it. 

Also, it's dificult to compare a car to a bike. Personally, if a frame cracked, I wouldn't trust it. It's the main component of the bike where all the weight, impact etc sit on. I wouldn't accept what Miway has told me because in this case it's a safety concern.

Get another opinion on it and try your luck with the ombudsman. Miway might state in their wording about repairing, but if it's a safety concern, they don't have a leg to stand on. Just try your luck, you've nothing to lose.

nope - it's quite easy. Crack in frame on bike = bent / cracked chassis on car. Most times, it's just scrapped. Sometimes, though, if it's bent just enough, it can be properly straightened (my wife's a3 was straightened recently)

nope - it's quite easy. Crack in frame on bike = bent / cracked chassis on car. Most times, it's just scrapped. Sometimes, though, if it's bent just enough, it can be properly straightened (my wife's a3 was straightened recently)

No offence, but I wouldn't feel safe if my chassis was straightened. That's just me though.

I had a car some years ago. My brother managed to bend the chassis. It  was fixed and looked straight etc, but it never was straight.

Archived