New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

yeah i have thought about popping over for a few days just to see auckland and meet a few recruiters.

I'd rather arrange job interviews instead of meeting with agents. Chances are Immigration officials will question you entering the country just to meet an agent. They may not even grant you a visitors permit.

And agents need to be reminded that a work visa requires an offer of employment. Not the other way round.

Good luck!

Edited by Dirty Sanchez

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure there are any lessons to be learnt....we dont plan to leave our country that we established a life and planned to live for an extended period of time

but i must say - thats very interesting (I didnt know that) as many people use it like an inheritance..I don't see why it can't be valid though - insurance is all about mitigating risks and surely moving to a country that you are less likely to die in there would be less risk for the insurers to pay out

I'm a bit stumped at this one, as there's no reason whatsoever for not being able to continue life or disability or severe illness cover if you're living abroad. You still have local assets and potential dependants, and I've got a few clients who are living in the UK and other areas without ANY problems at all... 

It is a bit more difficult with income protection, but insofar as lump sum benefits go - shouldn't be a problem at all.

Only thing that changes is your occupational details and earnings. You can still have a forwardable address with a relative. 

I'm a bit stumped at this one, as there's no reason whatsoever for not being able to continue life or disability or severe illness cover if you're living abroad. You still have local assets and potential dependants, and I've got a few clients who are living in the UK and other areas without ANY problems at all... 

It is a bit more difficult with income protection, but insofar as lump sum benefits go - shouldn't be a problem at all.

Only thing that changes is your occupational details and earnings. You can still have a forwardable address with a relative. 

Well... either way it's a good thing I cancelled, cos like Wayne said, one can get more cover for less in NZ :lol:

Edited by patches

Well... either way it's a good thing I cancelled, cos like Wayne said, one can get more cover for less in NZ :lol:

yeah, it's a no brainer if the premiums are that much cheaper. 

So... things just got real...

Visa granted! Looks like I'm outta here in approx 10 days.

Congratulations.

So... things just got real...

Visa granted! Looks like I'm outta here in approx 10 days.

That's incredible ! Enjoy the experience !

Congratulations.

That's incredible ! Enjoy the experience !

Thanks guys! Now the panicking starts! hahahaha!

Flight booked and 10 days to get my life in order  :eek:

I asked it on the other thread on getting out of here but I would just like to ask it here as well:

Hey Guys

I have been following this thread and it looks like I might have an offer on the table from a company in Sydney later today.

A while ago on this thread (or may it was the one where Bogus and Wendy went exploring, or maybe the New Zealand one---strange that there are so many topics on this---anyway) I saw someone saying something about a company that drops a container at your house, you pack it and they ship it. I cant find the detail now. Anyone know what the company name was?

I have a lot of stuff here in SA and don’t want to sell the stuff. I would rather take it with. For instance, I recently moved into my house and bought 3 new TV’s of which two have not yet even been switched on. They still have their stickers on so maybe I want to take them with….

I asked it on the other thread on getting out of here but I would just like to ask it here as well:

Hey Guys

I have been following this thread and it looks like I might have an offer on the table from a company in Sydney later today.

Can't help with that but if you have any other questions about Sydney let me know

Hey Guys

A while ago on this thread (or may it was the one where Bogus and Wendy went exploring, or maybe the New Zealand one---strange that there are so many topics on this---anyway) I saw someone saying something about a company that drops a container at your house, you pack it and they ship it. I cant find the detail now. Anyone know what the company name was?

I have a lot of stuff here in SA and don’t want to sell the stuff. I would rather take it with. For instance, I recently moved into my house and bought 3 new TV’s of which two have not yet even been switched on. They still have their stickers on so maybe I want to take them with….

It was on the Bonus and Wendy thread , they took most of their stuff with on a container.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/150182-bonus-wendys-big-adventure/page-1?hl=bonus%20and%20wendy

PM Bonus , maybe he can point you in the right direction

Edited by peixe

Hey Guys

For shipping check out Seven Seas..

https://www.sevenseasworldwide.com

I'm not sure who is best... the guys that have already moved will have a better idea. But Seven Seas does online quotes, which is a useful indication.

Also, if you don't want to do a full container you can do a MoveCube (a large wooden crate available in 3 sizes).

The drop it off at your house. You pack at leisure and let them know when you're done. They ship to your destination that side.

Here's the approximate cost for a large MoveCube to Oz...

post-10758-0-00736100-1457081184_thumb.png

Can't help with that but if you have any other questions about Sydney let me know

Thanks, lets see what the offer says later today but I will surely take you up on the offer

It was on the Bonus and Wendy thread , they took most of their stuff with on a container.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/150182-bonus-wendys-big-adventure/page-1?hl=bonus%20and%20wendy

PM Bonus , maybe he can point you in the right direction

Thanks for the info

For shipping check out Seven Seas..

https://www.sevenseasworldwide.com

Thanks Patches, that was the one I was looking for. I think it is cheaper for me to take two large MoveCube's than buying everything that side. it will work out to about 33K. I am sure there will be other cost but to replace all the goods must surely be much more expensive. I cant imagine having to buy all the beds, TV's, couch, dinning room stuff, washing machine, dish washer, all my bikes etc and all the kitchen stuff that side again...

Anyone here used MoveCube before? I suppose a 4bed house will fit in two (key word here is presume).

Edited by Grondpad

Just received my passport back form the NZ consulate and they have forgotten to paste my Visa into my Passport.  FML