New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the bright side, I have secured accommodation for the first 6 months (at least) of my adventure.

And it's 5km from the office. 6km from where the largest bike park in the Southern Hemisphere is being built  :devil:

That is proving harder to be than the job offer for me!  Finding a place in turning into a nightmare although i do have a viewing setup for thursday. A bit expensive but nice!

That is proving harder to be than the job offer for me!  Finding a place in turning into a nightmare although i do have a viewing setup for thursday. A bit expensive but nice!

yeah, I've been scouring TradeMe for months. Found quite a few good ones, but I cringed at the price of the ones I really liked. Then a fully furnished bargain in one of the best suburbs came along. So I jumped at it.

I hope the pics weren't too photoshopped  :ph34r: :lol:

yeah, I've been scouring TradeMe for months. Found quite a few good ones, but I cringed at the price of the ones I really liked. Then a fully furnished bargain in one of the best suburbs came along. So I jumped at it.

I hope the pics weren't too photoshopped  :ph34r: :lol:

How did you secure the rental from this side though?

How did you secure the rental from this side though?

It was a private rental. So no agents involved (which also means no letting fee).

I created a TradeMe account a while back. So I just contacted the landlord through TradeMe and then an email conversation followed.

It was a private rental. So no agents involved (which also means no letting fee).

I created a TradeMe account a while back. So I just contacted the landlord through TradeMe and then an email conversation followed.

How did you setup a Trademe account with no NZ address or Tel No?

Okes there are so many saffas there, I'm sure you could get anything organized, I'm not offering mr potgieters help, I just know the man he will go out his was to help just about anyone IF HE CAN,,,,,even you bums leaving ;)

Quality of life is so good here that it even shows in life insurance.

For the same premium in RSA i get 3 times the cover in NZ.

Less chance of dying young.

Awesomness

I noticed that too.

I was considering continuing my SA cover in the event that it was more affordable. But when I saw the cost there, I cancelled.

But besides that, I asked my insurer and they said I couldn't continue my cover if I'm living out of the country. So I asked if there is anything I get back for cancelling and not claiming. Nada, zip, zero!

So yeah, years and years of paying high premiums and nothing to how for it. But that's life I guess. Lesson learned.

I noticed that too.

I was considering continuing my SA cover in the event that it was more affordable. But when I saw the cost there, I cancelled.

But besides that, I asked my insurer and they said I couldn't continue my cover if I'm living out of the country. So I asked if there is anything I get back for cancelling and not claiming. Nada, zip, zero!

So yeah, years and years of paying high premiums and nothing to how for it. But that's life I guess. Lesson learned.

not sure there are any lessons to be learnt....we dont plan to leave our country that we established a life and planned to live for an extended period of time

but i must say - thats very interesting (I didnt know that) as many people use it like an inheritance..I don't see why it can't be valid though - insurance is all about mitigating risks and surely moving to a country that you are less likely to die in there would be less risk for the insurers to pay out

Job offer is accepted! Now our immigration agents need to rise to the challenge of getting my Temp work Visa in 6 weeks max. 

Has anyone had experience in moving animals to NZ? We have paid Global Paws our deposit  (has to happen before they will divulge much) but the process looks like a pig.

We have to provide NZ addresses and our Visa's even though we have only just started the process.