New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

I'm nio instagram expert, but what I have seen and experienced of it, people mostly post there to show off and some go to great lengths (such as hiring a grounded private jet) to show off the 'good live' they are supposedly living. Or photoshopping the living daylights out of images, be it selfies or otherwise...all to make others envious, or, as you say, to sell stuff.

Simply click on “unfollow” and reshape your timeline with people who actually mean something to you. Simple really.

I get frustrated with people who constantly bash social media (not saying you are here) but continue to friend/follow the pages/people. Makes no sense to me.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see NZ is going to have stricter gun control laws and ban assault rifles, which IMO is a good thing.

Edited by Jacquers

I see NZ is going to have stricter gun control laws and ban assault rifles, which IMO is a good thing.

The leadership in NZ is incredible. 6 Years after Sandy Hook, the US can't even have a vote in the senate regarding gun laws. In NZ, 6 days later and the gun laws have CHANGED, nevermind being voted on. 

It's amazing what can be achieved if the you are not a captured government.

The leadership in NZ is incredible. 6 Years after Sandy Hook, the US can't even have a vote in the senate regarding gun laws. In NZ, 6 days later and the gun laws have CHANGED, nevermind being voted on. 

It's amazing what can be achieved if the you are not a captured government.

i've become a big fan of NZs prime minister. She bats hard for all her people. Yes, one cannot forget she is afterall, a politician, but so far, i'm loving what i'm seeing.

Edited by Capricorn

i've become a big fan of NZs prime minister. She bats hard for all her people. Yes, one cannot forget she is after a politician, but so far, i'm loving what i'm seeing.

Sadly Ardern is all style and no substance. She's very good at looking concerned and very good at reading speeches, but not very good at policy detail, keeping her ministers under control, or legislating.

That said, people who aren't political tragics like me tend to value style over substance because the feelz are easier to generate than the thinks.

What's also incredible is that the opposition backed the changes (whereas traditionally they have been more on he conservative side).

Often (in many political arenas) we see parties oppose each other just for the sake of opposing. 

In this instance there was support because of the realization that this should never again happen in New Zealand, and the safety of the people living here supersedes any political agendas.

So not only a well done to the PM and Labour, but to all those that backed the changes. 

Sadly Ardern is all style and no substance. She's very good at looking concerned and very good at reading speeches, but not very good at policy detail, keeping her ministers under control, or legislating.

That said, people who aren't political tragics like me tend to value style over substance because the feelz are easier to generate than the thinks.

It's always a tough one. No person in a position of power is without their flaws. Heck as South Africans we should know that better than anyone else.

Ms Ardern may not have all the bases covered (and there are many things I don't agree with when it comes to Labour's policies)...

BUT I think her compassion and empathy was exactly what the country (and the world) needed in a time like this.

I think the only other time the country bands together like this is when they win a RWC or America's Cup.

Disclaimer: I have no particular political affinity here in NZ. I guess that will change as a prepare to face a polling station for the first time.

It's always a tough one. No person in a position of power is without their flaws. Heck as South Africans we should know that better than anyone else.

Ms Ardern may not have all the bases covered (and there are many things I don't agree with when it comes to Labour's policies)...

BUT I think her compassion and empathy was exactly what the country (and the world) needed in a time like this.

I think the only other time the country bands together like this is when they win a RWC or America's Cup.

Disclaimer: I have no particular political affinity here in NZ. I guess that will change as a prepare to face a polling station for the first time.

Agreed wholeheartedly. And yes...I voted for someone else.

I think she means well, and is very photogenic. I do not think she needed much original thought in the gun banning process, many political commentators / news sources that I could see from here were calling for NZ to follow the Australian example, not banning them could have led to an even larger outcry.

Strangely, I think you can compare her political success to that of Donald Trump, in that I don't actually think they themselves believed they would both get to to the top and lead their countries.

I tend to have a distrust of people who have been career politicians their entire lives, as I think a bit of work experience in the real world does you good (OK, Trump is a special case that does not help that argument). In that respect Jacinda is similar to the current QLD state premier, Annastacia Palaszczuk, who's dad was a Labour MP and she just worked in the Labour party system until becoming an MP herself.

But in Aus politics, and I think NZ to a degree, most of the pollies are in it for themselves and their next re-election. Thats why once you take the rhetoric and slagging out of it, in most cases the policies of the main parties are pretty bland and without major strategy or long term vision. No-one wants to commit to a 20 year strategy and give some unknown politician in the future the chance to get the glory by cutting the opening ribbon, its all about trying to maximise their own chance of re-election. Hence if there is no short term gain or sound bite it gets relegated to the do-nothing pile.

Here in Aus its legally compulsory for citizens to vote, and in the next Federal election thats coming up soon there is actually no-one I would like to win, its just who is less useless than the rest. I can see why some people spoil their ballots in protest. 

You're on to it Patham.

$3-billion being wasted on 'regional development' with that oaf Shane Jones.

Winston Peters 'two wongs don't make a white' the racist, anti immigration hypocrite PM

The Kiwibuild fiasco.

The Karel Sroubek fiasco.

The Meka Whaitiri fiasco.

The Clare Curran fiasco.

The nuking of Charter Schools in favour of the Unions.

The Tax Working Group chaired by a political appointee (former Labour finance minister).

The removal of targets to measure health OUTCOMES.

Etc etc.

As is all too often the case with leftists, the focus falls very heavily on spending and intentions. As anyone over a certain age or maturity should understand, intentions count for nothing (hence the old expression on what the road to hell is made from). It is outcomes which are important. Ardern is known for talking up intentions, but shying away from targets or measurements.

As for compulsory voting, I think it a very bad idea. Anyone who cannot get themselves to a voting station to exercise their rights is not likely to be someone who has taken any measure of care or diligence in understanding what they are voting for.

Also, note that in 9 years in parliament prior to being anointed PM by Winston Peters, Ardern achieved exactly nothing. No legislation, not even a single successfully submitted Bill. Incredibly, people would not vote for Andrew Little (with Labour popularity falling to 24 percent) because he is a dowdy, angry little fella, but would vote for Ardern WITH THE PRECISE SAME POLICY PLATFORM!! because she looks nicer in Women's Day.

That's crazy, man.

And note that Labour didn't have much of a policy platform, more a bunch of slogans. Which is why they had to appoint over 100 'working groups' when they accidentally found themselves in power. They were terrible in opposition, they have been terrible in government, to date, and now the tragedy has allowed Ardern's real talents - of looking concerned and reading speeches well - to shine.

Incredibly, people would not vote for Andrew Little (with Labour popularity falling to 24 percent) because he is a dowdy, angry little fella, but would vote for Ardern WITH THE PRECISE SAME POLICY PLATFORM!! because she looks nicer in Women's Day.

Think back to the dinosaur days of grainy black and white newspaper photographs being your primary visual knowledge of politicians (and maybe the 15 minutes of news on TV). That was probably a big leveller in the looks vs abilities rankings of politicians.

Slightly related topic - I agree with Scott Adams (Dilbert creator) theory that people are born to the role of CEO, needing to be tall, big build and bald with a personality disorder.

Banning weapons wont do much as criminals will not hand them in. if some idiot wants to kill people he will use any means at his disposal, be it a truck or knife and fork

Banning weapons wont do much as criminals will not hand them in. if some idiot wants to kill people he will use any means at his disposal, be it a truck or knife and fork

Agree to a point but I do believe that by making it harder to get such weapons as well as reducing the amount in circulation can only be beneficial in the long term.

I also agree to a point, but it will take some time to kill 50 people with a swiss army knife, giving more time for intervention, fight or flight. I do agree that its vehicles that are pretty lethal weapons that are easily available.