New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Thanx for sharing Patches, that one is also on my short list (now) :-)

I am also a sucker for Android, which is why I am leaning towards the TCL 6 Series 65", which has Android with the great Roku system on.

Basically the following reviews are why I am considering for the first time ever to go with something other than Samsung.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/4/17417402/tcl-6-series-tv-review-4k-hdr-dolby-vision-price-specs

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/tcl-55r615-2018-roku-tv-review/

https://www.techradar.com/au/reviews/tcl-6-series-r615-r617

But, this is always a personal choice, so not trying to convince you of anything here FYI.

Like buying a bike .......buy what you like, use it and be happy  :whistling:

Yeah I have seen the TCL brand popping up more and more often. Last week I was in Hawaii and saw a number of them at Walmart. Looked pretty swish! And the Roku system has great reviews. I was seriously considering bringing back a Roku box, but then I have to get a DNS proxy etc to fully take advantage of it. A bit too advanced for my limited IT skills.

As for Android TV's though... yup! huge fan! Currently have a 43" Sony 1080p Android TV and it works great.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Come here to read about NZ, end up looking at reviews for TV's I don't need for half an hour.... :ph34r:

You just saved me going down the same road. I was thinking "dont need a new tv but lets look anyway"

I’ve just bought the 55” version of that Sony here in Dubai. Great TV, super impressed considering what some people spend on TV’s here I feel like I stole it!!

Really good TV, hope the price starts to come back to you.

Yeah I have seen the TCL brand popping up more and more often. Last week I was in Hawaii and saw a number of them at Walmart. Looked pretty swish! And the Roku system has great reviews. I was seriously considering bringing back a Roku box, but then I have to get a DNS proxy etc to fully take advantage of it. A bit too advanced for my limited IT skills.

As for Android TV's though... yup! huge fan! Currently have a 43" Sony 1080p Android TV and it works great.

Got completely fed up with not being able to use the Netflix app in NZ - seems to be blocked, certainly on LG tv's anyway.  So cracked and bought vpn via vpnplus (I think) - cost somewhere about $60/yr, followed the instructions and viola, our tv thinks it's back in SA and downloaded the app.

It's not that hard - can give you a hand if you'd like to give it a go.

Has anyone moved their RA's SA -> Kiwi Saver themselves i.e. not as part of Financial Emigration?

Apparently it can be done prior to FE, as long as you are resident in NZ.

Has anyone moved their RA's SA -> Kiwi Saver themselves i.e. not as part of Financial Emigration?

Apparently it can be done prior to FE, as long as you are resident in NZ.

I enquired about moving mine to Ireland and they told me to take a jump

Got completely fed up with not being able to use the Netflix app in NZ - seems to be blocked, certainly on LG tv's anyway.  So cracked and bought vpn via vpnplus (I think) - cost somewhere about $60/yr, followed the instructions and viola, our tv thinks it's back in SA and downloaded the app.

It's not that hard - can give you a hand if you'd like to give it a go.

The LG Smart TV's have region codes that stop Netflix when you move outside that region. I had to change the code on our SA bought LG to 'Australia' to get it to load Netflix. One can only do it via advance admin settings using a special remote that only LG technicians have access to it seems (but don't want to help you) or using (buy, but cheap) an Android phone app that someone wrote - note the phone need to have an infrared port. It was painful, but I got it working. I wont bring a regionally locked TV along with me the next time I move....

The LG Smart TV's have region codes that stop Netflix when you move outside that region. I had to change the code on our SA bought LG to 'Australia' to get it to load Netflix. One can only do it via advance admin settings using a special remote that only LG technicians have access to it seems (but don't want to help you) or using (buy, but cheap) an Android phone app that someone wrote - note the phone need to have an infrared port. It was painful, but I got it working. I wont bring a regionally locked TV along with me the next time I move....

Ah.  Ok, that makes sense.

No, me either, but then again figuring out if the TV was regionally locked wasn't high on the list of priorities when I bought it... 

A bad: being a law-abiding country, pharmacists don't have secret ingredient 'gout bombs' under the counter.  

Go to the doctor they say.  Yep, but a doctor probably wouldn't prescribe to you whatever they put in those bombs.

Pharmacological strangenesses: you can't buy Advil CS without a prescription.  Apparently there was a local industry of turning it into methanphetamine or something.

And you can't get colchacine(?) without a script...

And at $50+ a visit, makes buying a pack of Advil CS/Colchacine an expensive business.

A bad: being a law-abiding country, pharmacists don't have secret ingredient 'gout bombs' under the counter.  

Go to the doctor they say.  Yep, but a doctor probably wouldn't prescribe to you whatever they put in those bombs.

Pharmacological strangenesses: you can't buy Advil CS without a prescription.  Apparently there was a local industry of turning it into methanphetamine or something.

And you can't get colchacine(?) without a script...

And at $50+ a visit, makes buying a pack of Advil CS/Colchacine an expensive business.

Aren't you registered at a gp?

If you are, change your gp, because that's a rip off for visits! I pay $18, if medicine is needed it's usually included (some pharmacy's don't charge the $5).

If you are, change your gp, because that's a rip off for visits! I pay $18, if medicine is needed it's usually included (some pharmacy's don't charge the $5).

Yeh - that's what the GP charges - $52 or something, and $5 for the pharmacy.

I need to check this out...

Where is this? We also pay $50 per visit.

So do we ($50), on the Whangaparaoa peninsula. Know of two other families paying the same.