New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Financial Emigration..?!

Seems that if you want to get your RA out etc then you need to do this, and it is apparently cheaper to do while you are still in SA?

Downside being that your bank account gets blocked?

So, if I get it right, the trade-off is RA's out vs having a working SA bank account? 

Folks got any views on this?

Yes that’s all true. The tail to is that it can take a long time if you try and do it from abroad. We have been at it for over a year due to distance, complications and SARS slow cycle.

Would most likely have been a lot quicker in SA.

Also, I believe you if you are in NZ for 4 years or more that money will get taxed again coming into NZ.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes that’s all true. The tail to is that it can take a long time if you try and do it from abroad. We have been at it for over a year due to distance, complications and SARS slow cycle.

Would most likely have been a lot quicker in SA.

Also, I believe you if you are in NZ for 4 years or more that money will get taxed again coming into NZ.

did you use an agency to do yours?

Mrs Potgieter took 3 months. Mine took 5.

Bugger.  Our properties are not selling, need to support aged mother in SA.

Don't want to be blocking bank accounts til those all resolved. 

PS: Local Engen cafe I stop at to get bread and milk at on the way home got robbed last night.  An elderly patient my wife treats for free had her old Honda stolen during appt...  they're kind of making it easy to leave.

Edited by davetapson

Just stumbled across this thread.

We submitted our work-to-residence visa yesterday.

We are going to Wellington.

you have a job offer?

How does it work with the spouse if only party gets a job offer?

The partner applies for a spouse visa. The partner is free to apply for any employment whereas the primary applicant should stick to their original field/job until PR is attained.

The partner applies for a spouse visa. The partner is free to apply for any employment whereas the primary applicant should stick to their original field/job until PR is attained.

Yep.

Is it true that a law was recently passed in NZ forbidding foreigners from buying houses?

Yes but not existing forriners

And once you have PR you can. Something like that, in order to prevent "holiday homes" being purchased by non residents who are apparently driving up property prices.

Just stumbled across this thread.

We submitted our work-to-residence visa yesterday.

We are going to Wellington.

Congrats. Wellington is a beautiful city and not too expensive, you can still get a nice pozzie there for well under a mil. And Welly is adjacent to the top of the South Island which gives you awesome opportunities to explore the Marlborough Sounds, Picton, Blenheim, Nelson, Motueka etc. Enjoy the ride.

Bugger.  Our properties are not selling, need to support aged mother in SA.

Don't want to be blocking bank accounts til those all resolved. 

PS: Local Engen cafe I stop at to get bread and milk at on the way home got robbed last night.  An elderly patient my wife treats for free had her old Honda stolen during appt...  they're kind of making it easy to leave.

Cheeky questions Dave - where are the properties and what price range? Trying to gauge the market....