New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically you can swing citizenship in 4.5 years.

You need to be in the country for 183 days out of that final year and then you are allowed to submit.

I would like to hear the kiwi version of Potgieter  :w00t: .........

Edited by coppi

I would like to hear the kiwi version of Potgieter :w00t: .........

its not pretty.

They mostly give up halfway.

They can call me what they like, as long as they let us stay.

The mediocre...

I was in Sydney this past weekend, and during that time I was heavily reliant on the public transport system.

The Sydney trains are incredible! The routes cater for most journeys. The trains are on time, fast and every 5min. They're double decker and have those flip seats. I'm a big fan.

By contrast the Auckland rail system offers limited routes and often one has long waiting intervals between trains. So yes although compared to JHB (barring Gautrain), the Auckland train system is pretty cool, it's very mediocre compared to Sydney, and even with the little CRL link and light rail they're adding, the majority of Aucklanders will still have to resort to buses as their choice of public transport.

It would be interesting to know what train vs bus commuter numbers are in Sydney and Auckland.

Then there's the bridge... the Sydney bridge has a dedicated pedestrian path as well as a dedicated cycle path. The Auckland bridge by contrast has been twiddling-thumbs over a pedestrian/cycle path for over 10yrs. Just get it done guys!

And finally... retail! Once again, my Aus trip involved the mandatory Ikea visit (along with plenty of other shops). Can you believe that Aus has had ikea since 1975. That's 10yrs before the US and 12yrs before the UK... and about 45yrs before the one in NZ is likely to open its doors  :ph34r:

Kiwis in Aus malls is the equivalent of Zimbo's visiting JHB :lol: The variery is massive and the prices are so much better (even after converting).

BUT

...all that said I am glad to be back in the the land of the long white cloud. I have spent 70% of the last 2 weeks in Aus (Melbourne and Sydney) and although their cities are probably 20yrs ahead of NZ, there's just something comforting and familiar coming back to the place that one feels is home (wherever that may be). Good to be back!

The mediocre...

I was in Sydney this past weekend, and during that time I was heavily reliant on the public transport system.

The Sydney trains are incredible! The routes cater for most journeys. The trains are on time, fast and every 5min. They're double decker and have those flip seats. I'm a big fan.

By contrast the Auckland rail system offers limited routes and often one has long waiting intervals between trains. So yes although compared to JHB (barring Gautrain), the Auckland train system is pretty cool, it's very mediocre compared to Sydney, and even with the little CRL link and light rail they're adding, the majority of Aucklanders will still have to resort to buses as their choice of public transport.

It would be interesting to know what train vs bus commuter numbers are in Sydney and Auckland.

Then there's the bridge... the Sydney bridge has a dedicated pedestrian path as well as a dedicated cycle path. The Auckland bridge by contrast has been twiddling-thumbs over a pedestrian/cycle path for over 10yrs. Just get it done guys!

And finally... retail! Once again, my Aus trip involved the mandatory Ikea visit (along with plenty of other shops). Can you believe that Aus has had ikea since 1975. That's 10yrs before the US and 12yrs before the UK... and about 45yrs before the one in NZ is likely to open its doors  :ph34r:

Kiwis in Aus malls is the equivalent of Zimbo's visiting JHB :lol: The variery is massive and the prices are so much better (even after converting).

BUT

...all that said I am glad to be back in the the land of the long white cloud. I have spent 70% of the last 2 weeks in Aus (Melbourne and Sydney) and although their cities are probably 20yrs ahead of NZ, there's just something comforting and familiar coming back to the place that one feels is home (wherever that may be). Good to be back!

Spent a few days in Sydney as a family city break (from rural Brisbane). Trains were great, and didn't need or have a car. I gather as you get further and further out though, the odds of being a train route diminish, I have friends who are about 25 mins out of the CBD and they need to bus. Having said that, they have been there a year and still have not bought a car, they bus, train, uber and car-share. Brisbane - public transport is not so cool.

I have a feeling public transport is about economies of scale. Sydney population is about 4.5 M people. Auckland 1.7 M, Brisbane about 2.5 M. The more people you have, the more intensive you can make the systems.

BTW: I am not sure Ikea is the defining drawcard of a country. I would pay an entrance fee to Ikea if said fee enabled you to skip the long and windy footpath that leads you through the Quest of Mordor just to get the one item you are looking for. Tried it twice, no need to ever visit again (I hope).

I am sitting at CHC airport about to head home.

Spent a long weekend here with the family.

I am absolutely in love with Hanmer Springs.

If my AKL job transferred me to CHC and I retained AKL wages, it would be a really compelling proposition.

We took the Kaikōura to Hanmer road on Saturday just as the snow hit and despite getting a little stuck, it was amazing.

Here are some pics.

post-18409-15596028837639.jpgpost-18409-15596028974758.jpgpost-18409-1559602913792.jpgpost-18409-15596029289815.jpgpost-18409-15596029442198.jpg

I am sitting at CHC airport about to head home.

Spent a long weekend here with the family.

I am absolutely in love with Hanmer Springs.

If my AKL job transferred me to CHC and I retained AKL wages, it would be a really compelling proposition.

We took the Kaikōura to Hanmer road on Saturday just as the snow hit and despite getting a little stuck, it was amazing.

Here are some pics.

attachicon.gifIMG_3166.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_3170.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_3172.jpgattachicon.gifAF53AA21-BD75-4123-BBA6-0D424CC9A410.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_3169.jpg

I'm glad you and the family had a great time.

Canterbury is a special part of the country. I miss it!

Quick one for all you repatriated Saffas in Kiwi land..

It looks like I will be coming to NZ in January to visit my kids. They are in Dunedin..

I am busy putting my budget together and trying to get an idea of a daily allowance. I know its a 'how long is the string' type question, but I need to start somewhere.

I'll be there for 2 weeks in Jan so need to budget for Accom, Car rental and internal flights - thats easy, but the daily spend on food, fuel, general tourist stuff?

$200/day?

More?

Ta

It looks like I will be coming to NZ in January to visit my kids. They are in Dunedin..

I am busy putting my budget together and trying to get an idea of a daily allowance. I know its a 'how long is the string' type question, but I need to start somewhere.

I'll be there for 2 weeks in Jan so need to budget for Accom, Car rental and internal flights - thats easy, but the daily spend on food, fuel, general tourist stuff?

$200/day?

More?

Ta

Hmmmm... that's a tough one, but I'll give it a go...

Food

• $30 - $35pp per meal if you're eating out a lot. That'll get you a main and a drink at most places (nothing too fancy though).
  • $15pp for KFC or McD's ("Maccas" as they call it here)
  • $5 - $15pp if you're cooking (depends on what you're cooking and for how many)
  • $5 for a pie or a basic Dominos pizza

Fuel

• Up to $2.30ish per litre. Also, NZ roads are very windy and there's a lot of up and down, so consumption for an average NZ road trip is higher than one in SA. Same things applies to time. 200km in NZ (especially Otago/Fjordland) will be a lot longer than 2hrs.

Entertainment

This largely depends on what you're up to.

• Free - DOC (Department of Conservation) has excellent walking trails all over the country and pretty much all of them are free. I can highly recommend looking into some DOC walks in whatever areas you visit.
  • $15 - $20 - A movie ticket. Not that you want to come all this way to get stuck in a cinema for 2hrs. But on a bad weather day it might be an option.
  • Arm & Leg - Most things in Queenstown (I'm guessing you'll be going there as Dunedin isn't too far away). It's the place where European wunderlust-instagram youngsters go to spend their wealthy parents money on adventure and fun. Prices of activities vary depending on what they are, but keep in mind that it's not aimed at Saffers with Rands. Its aimed at spoilt brats with mom & dad's credit card. Most of the "main attraction" type things in Queenstown are about $80 - $150

Hope that helps a bit. Which parts of NZ will you be visiting? I may be able to give some suggestions of activities for the areas, and an idea of cost.

Technically you can swing citizenship in 4.5 years.

You need to be in the country for 183 days out of that final year and then you are allowed to submit.

We did this.

Spent a few days in Sydney as a family city break (from rural Brisbane). Trains were great, and didn't need or have a car. I gather as you get further and further out though, the odds of being a train route diminish, I have friends who are about 25 mins out of the CBD and they need to bus. Having said that, they have been there a year and still have not bought a car, they bus, train, uber and car-share. Brisbane - public transport is not so cool.

I have a feeling public transport is about economies of scale. Sydney population is about 4.5 M people. Auckland 1.7 M, Brisbane about 2.5 M. The more people you have, the more intensive you can make the systems.

BTW: I am not sure Ikea is the defining drawcard of a country. I would pay an entrance fee to Ikea if said fee enabled you to skip the long and windy footpath that leads you through the Quest of Mordor just to get the one item you are looking for. Tried it twice, no need to ever visit again (I hope).

Sydney train from airport into the city is awesome, so convenient...and the airport is amazingly close to the city, too...

$200/day?

More?

Ta

Buy food at Countdown or New World where possible, you can get a microwave curry or roast chicken dinner with peas and potato and gravy for like $5 a pop, decent sized servings too. Look for a 'rent a wreck' to manage your car rental costs, I remember we hired an old Kia Ten Rand (RIO, ha ha) with over 200k on the clock for not much money and it was fine. Two hundy a day probably a bit of a stretch if it includes car rental and accomm, but presume you will be staying with your fam at least some of the time? Also, try come for longer than 2 weeks it is so effing far you want to make use of the spend to get here, and have at least a few days where you aren't jet lagged out of your tree...

Sydney train from airport into the city is awesome, so convenient...and the airport is amazingly close to the city, too...

The second Sydney airport currently being constructed will change that cosy relationship, being 44 km west of the CBD. If its like Melbourne, the far flung airport will be where the low cost airlines fly.

The new airport will probably generate the usual amount of complaints at start-up from people who have not read the itinerary or ticket details properly and head off to the exact wrong one. 

$200/day?

More?

Ta

I did a 2 week holiday solo a thousand years ago, mixture of family and prepaid accomodation/travel. I budgeted $100 per day average for dinner, drinks & entertainment, and that did cover the expensive Queenstown type tourist activities and had some cash to spare at the end. So $200 per day for yourself is probably OK, but if you need to cover expensive activities and meals for the kids or other family members those costs can rack up quick. Movie tickets, slushie and popcorn x 4 (for example) is a scary number in Australia & N.Z.