New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Riverhead Forest also a reasonable ride...

And something a tad unexpected.ce9554d725ccb9757eafe164603360d7.jpg0d2a4f44ddbfec160e075e625439c261.jpg

Yeah, Riverhead is cool. I have only ridden the WCRC (West Coast Riders Club) part of it (circled in yellow).

post-10758-0-57281400-1561924249_thumb.png

It was nice and flowy and tech with some fun jumps.

I have heard the forest can get really muddy and almost unrideable in winter/rainy season. No real rain of late though.

How was it running on your recent visit? No signs of excessive mud?

Okay so looks like my wife and I are now on the same page regarding our future in SA, it helps that her sister moved to NZ late last year.

It still a 2 year plan to get to NZ but at least we are now aligned.

Starting over is going to be tough but it is kind of exciting as well.

I have been watching numerous NZ hiking vids over the last few days.

Where would be the best place to register my CV and interest to immigrate? Apologies, I am sure that this has been requested numerous times before.

Job wise, register and scout around on www.seek.co.nz

Yeah, Riverhead is cool. I have only ridden the WCRC (West Coast Riders Club) part of it (circled in yellow).

attachicon.gifRiverhead.PNG

It was nice and flowy and tech with some fun jumps.

I have heard the forest can get really muddy and almost unrideable in winter/rainy season. No real rain of late though.

How was it running on your recent visit? No signs of excessive mud?

I stuck to the roads which were all completely rideable.  I did do a detour down a logging road which was sketchy indeed due to mud.  My thoughts as I went down it were 'at least I don't have to come up this' but then it dead ended...

You can see paths coming onto the road and going off the road so there must be a single track network through the forest - I did't have time to check it out, but it seems worth a look. There were tracks coming in and out of them, so folks were riding them.

Edit: just had a look at that clip - now I'm definitely going back...  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:

Edited by davetapson

Some guys trying to get Royal Albany Trails reopened...

www.savetherat.co.nz

If you have a moment?

https://m.traveller24.com/TravelPlanning/VisaInfo/sa-scraps-visas-for-new-list-of-countries-including-new-zealand-and-uae-20190710

Seems kiwi passport holders won’t be needing a visa to enter RSA anymore.

I wonder if N Z will drop the RSA visa requirement too?

Very good news!

NZ won't drop the visa requirements; they were introduced for good reason (lots of okes chancing their arm and arriving on 3 month visa free 'holiday' with express intention of not leaving)...

The SA visa, on the other hand, was a (costly) knee-jerk reaction owing to the wounds to delicate African pride...now it's hitting them in the wallet, they've had to reconsider. Good stuff!

Tweet from home affairs SA says NZ had been added to 'visa free' list of countries.

Maybe won't need a visa to travel to SA on NZ passport.

Got to wonder what's behind it.

Tweet from home affairs SA says NZ had been added to 'visa free' list of countries.

Money. They got a kick in the balls for putting visas on NZers, with a lot of former Safas who would travel back, choosing to go elsewhere as adding $1000 to the trip is a metric f-ton for most folks...

Congrats! A Black Mamba to add to the Green one. Did you retain SA citizenship? I strongly advise everyone to do so, it makes a trip back so SO much easier and cheaper. For a fam of 4, think an extra $1000 or so for visas.

My boys don't have a Mamba, but me and the Mrs do. Gonna do the necessary paperwork to get theirs...

Happily parting with mine....

Simple, Hlaudi Motsoeneng's infantile petulance cost them tourist dollars....

Simple, Hlaudi Motsoeneng's infantile petulance cost them tourist dollars....

It was Malusi Gigaba at the time. Hlaudi was busy demolishing the SABC.