New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

I love Allen's approach: 'I'll just give it a go...' and then he whips out some genius level mechanical engineering with a bloody hacksaw and a 1926 file!

Same with the guy who built the boat "well, I don't really know how I'm going to do this, but if I don't make a start I won't get it done" and then off he goes.

Important part of a 'can do' attitude.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are also hoping for a sooner rather than later, solution.

We got caught out with last minute snafus that took 6 weeks or so to resolve, so feel some of your pain.

We had taken the kids out of school as they had started school holidays, and by the time we finally got them in to school here, they'd missed about three months of school. It's caused some issues.

Let's hope they pull finger.

Problem with Jacinda is she's good at responding to crises and a good communicator, but she's crap at getting things planned, organised and done. The health minister is a frkn disaster and she's not doing anything about him.

So at the moment the world thinks we have great leadership, but, yeah, well.

Not bad compared to some I suppose.

Yeah, you could have had our bunch in charge.

Oh my gaaawd. Ours are useless, but yours are a whole new level of special. Sterkte.

Facebook Marketplace brosef...that is all! Also, you shoulda posted the items right here, people like me with AEG power tool collections may well have saved you some dosh...

My redemption claim on my tool kit arrived. 1x AEG Quickstack toolbox and 1x AEG 9Ah battery. (Total RRP around $550, not bad AEG!)

I plan on keeping the battery, but as I already have an AEG quickstack toolbox, this one is up for sale.

It's up on TradeMe (as I don't use the Face book that much). But if any Hubbers are keen I'll let it go for $200 ($40 off my BuyNow price, and $89 off the Bunnings Price).

The only catch is that you'd have to collect (Milford, North Shore) as it's awkward to ship.

This is the toolbox in question.

fb8b92cf-6d44-406a-8b14-792e7b960b24.jpg

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/aeg-quickstack-3-piece-modular-storage-kit_p0034499

If anyone is keen, hit me up in the PM's!

My redemption claim on my tool kit arrived. 1x AEG Quickstack toolbox and 1x AEG 9Ah battery. (Total RRP around $550, not bad AEG!)

I plan on keeping the battery, but as I already have an AEG quickstack toolbox, this one is up for sale.

It's up on TradeMe (as I don't use the Face book that much). But if any Hubbers are keen I'll let it go for $200 ($40 off my BuyNow price, and $89 off the Bunnings Price).

The only catch is that you'd have to collect (Milford, North Shore) as it's awkward to ship.

This is the toolbox in question.

fb8b92cf-6d44-406a-8b14-792e7b960b24.jpg

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/aeg-quickstack-3-piece-modular-storage-kit_p0034499

If anyone is keen, hit me up in the PM's!

Send me your bank details on PM. Not quite sure when I will collect, but I will take that off your hands thanks :)

We got caught out with last minute snafus that took 6 weeks or so to resolve, so feel some of your pain.

We had taken the kids out of school as they had started school holidays, and by the time we finally got them in to school here, they'd missed about three months of school. It's caused some issues.

Let's hope they pull finger.

Problem with Jacinda is she's good at responding to crises and a good communicator, but she's crap at getting things planned, organised and done. The health minister is a frkn disaster and she's not doing anything about him.

So at the moment the world thinks we have great leadership, but, yeah, well.

Not bad compared to some I suppose.

Those who follow politics know Jacinda achieved absolutely nothing in Opposition. The single Bill she tabled wasn't even a Bill - it was an idea for a Bill and therefore didn't even pass first reading.

Great at announcements. Not great at doing the mahi (ha ha look how PC NZ I am) or carrying the can when it inevitably goes pear shaped. Notice how she's vanished from the Jacy and Ashy show now the news is adverse.

Yeah, Mike Hosking was giving her a roasting on the minimal radio I listen to...

JA: " The system let us down..."

Hosking: "When are you going to realise YOU are the system dumbass?!"

Was quite entertaining.

Don't even get me started on Health Minister Dr. David Clark. Please note: he has a PhD in Theology, not a MD. Doesn't appear he learned much about honesty, integrity and ethics while studying theology, though.

And, of course, if you look beyond the well handled crises (well handled, it must be qualified, mostly from a PR point of view), the bigger picture isn't pretty. As Duncan Garner made clear yesterday:

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2020/06/duncan-garner-jacinda-ardern-s-big-promises-have-failed-spectacularly.html

We've seen the polls from Colmar Brunton yesterday, too. Labour still riding high but shed 9% to National. Muller has yet to really make a mark and is still VERY nervous in Question Time in Parliament. He is making the right sort of noises, though, so hopefully he will come good well before September (though I have my doubts).

AWESOME to see that quisling Winston Peters and NZ First down to 2 percent and out of parliament, unless Shane Jones can win Northland (despite all the PGF bribery, this is highly unlikely - the onanist Jones has never won an electorate in his lengthy career. Onanist because he was infamously bust putting adult movies on his government credit card!)

Similarly awesome seeing the spineless Greens losing support; them being out of Parliament will be a fine day indeed. Spineless? They have resisted putting cameras on fishing boats (National policy), beholden to NZ First, which is paid off by the fishing industry. They also went with NZ First and Labour in scuppering the Kermadecs sanctuary. And after protesting against the Chinese buying NZ water for export, went along with the sale of Otakiri Springs...to the Chinese (I have no problem with this, it's just that it shows the poor environmental record of the Greens). 

Best of all, ACT up to 3%. I think they could parlay that into 5% or more come 19 September.

Gonna be a humdinger of an election, that's for sure. Very exciting!

Don't even get me started on Health Minister Dr. David Clark. Please note: he has a PhD in Theology, not a MD. Doesn't appear he learned much about honesty, integrity and ethics while studying theology, though.

Ahh.  He's a flpn disaster.  His qualifications point to his abilities in his role...

So I did something out of the ordinary this weekend...

I joined a Men's Shed :lol:

https://mensshednorthshore.org.nz/

A little while back I was googling to see if there were any workshops where one could join to use casually for woodworking etc. I don't have the space (or the budget) to kit out with proper cabinet saws etc.

Anyway 2 options came up, and one was 5km from home, so it seemed like a good idea. Turns out it was a Men's Shed (which I had never heard of until now).

Basically it's an organisation (started in Aus in the 70's and now worldwide) which was founded to give retired men something to do. It has transformed and now welcomes all over 18's and the ladies. It's a not-for-profit trust that not only gives individuals a place to work on their own DIY pottering, but also contribute towards community projects (like building jungle gyms etc).

Anyway, the North Shore one has over 400sqm of workshop with woodworking, metalworking, and electronics sections. They have some pretty awesome machinery, including a brand new $8,000 Sawstop tablesaw, various types of welding machines, lathes, and mills.

I went for my induction on Saturday. Of the 7 new members there, 3 were under 40.

At only $90/yr it seems like a good options for those (like myself) that may need access to bigger fancier equipment, but don't have the space for, or the disposable income to invest in it.

So I did something out of the ordinary this weekend...

I joined a Men's Shed :lol:

https://mensshednorthshore.org.nz/

A little while back I was googling to see if there were any workshops where one could join to use casually for woodworking etc. I don't have the space (or the budget) to kit out with proper cabinet saws etc.

Anyway 2 options came up, and one was 5km from home, so it seemed like a good idea. Turns out it was a Men's Shed (which I had never heard of until now).

Basically it's an organisation (started in Aus in the 70's and now worldwide) which was founded to give retired men something to do. It has transformed and now welcomes all over 18's and the ladies. It's a not-for-profit trust that not only gives individuals a place to work on their own DIY pottering, but also contribute towards community projects (like building jungle gyms etc).

Anyway, the North Shore one has over 400sqm of workshop with woodworking, metalworking, and electronics sections. They have some pretty awesome machinery, including a brand new $8,000 Sawstop tablesaw, various types of welding machines, lathes, and mills.

I went for my induction on Saturday. Of the 7 new members there, 3 were under 40.

At only $90/yr it seems like a good options for those (like myself) that may need access to bigger fancier equipment, but don't have the space for, or the disposable income to invest in it.

Dang! I was reading about these this weekend - read an obituary on the guy who started them up and it lead on from there...

I need to rip down a beam of Oregon Pine to make a panels to make a hollow mast and was a bit daunted with having to do it with what I have on hand - possible, but real hacky, and real possibility of it going less than ideally.

Then I saw the Mens Shed thing - hoping that they will have what it takes... 

Dang! I was reading about these this weekend - read an obituary on the guy who started them up and it lead on from there...

I need to rip down a beam of Oregon Pine to make a panels to make a hollow mast and was a bit daunted with having to do it with what I have on hand - possible, but real hacky, and real possibility of it going less than ideally.

Then I saw the Mens Shed thing - hoping that they will have what it takes... 

What sort of tools are you looking for? Will a large tablesaw do?

There is another alternative I found to the Men's Shed. It's called The Warren (just off K road).

https://www.thewarren.nz/

But yeah, seemed a little cramped, and the Shore is more convenient for me.

What sort of tools are you looking for? Will a large tablesaw do?

There is another alternative I found to the Men's Shed. It's called The Warren (just off K road).

https://www.thewarren.nz/

But yeah, seemed a little cramped, and the Shore is more convenient for me.

Yeah, better than my handheld circular saw, for sure.  Else a band saw with a fence.

A jointer would be good to clean up the edges of the beam.

Also need a thicknesser to plane down a lamination for centreboard and rudder.  Thicknesser could clean up the beam prior to ripping.