New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

So after our little December road trip and my poor wife never hearing the end of how beautiful and amazing the South Island is, I decided to make a more concerted effort to notice the beauty in my Auckland suburban neighbourhood.

After all, whilst I dream of living in Canterbury or Central Otago, I do realise that living there may dull the lustre one experiences while visiting such places.

Here are some pics from a recent afternoon walk, appreciating the "good in the hood"

image.png.8d215c08fdf830fd992c54173d2bfdb5.png

image.png.3e779e89b256ddf06bd23f63ac8bfa2f.png

Views from Kennedy Park

image.png.626da5302419972482ae9d1f5a16db83.png

image.png.2d22ca0f2860f821c1ce1a5f9d9e800d.png

Castor Bay Beach

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Saag said:

Vey good idea @patches. I have been here for close to 5 years and ashamed to say I have not even made it to the South Island yet 🤪.
Anyway, here are some from Orewa, Wenderholm and Mahurangi West.

20211209_063017.jpg

20211226_084444_2.jpg

20211226_130206.jpg

20220109_104654_2.jpg

20220113_063432_2.jpg

with scenery like that, it's understandable that you have not felt the need to explore too far away.

It also puts into perspective the decent percentage of Auckland born kiwis, who have also never ventured across the Cook Straight (or they have but only for Queenstown ski trips). With the beauty of the Hauraki Gulf and the convenience of a "big" city, and short drives into the countryside, it's pretty easy to be content in the AKL.

28 minutes ago, Saag said:

Vey good idea @patches. I have been here for close to 5 years and ashamed to say I have not even made it to the South Island yet 🤪.
Anyway, here are some from Orewa, Wenderholm and Mahurangi West.

20211209_063017.jpg

20211226_084444_2.jpg

20211226_130206.jpg

20220109_104654_2.jpg

20220113_063432_2.jpg

Damn! What's keeping you from going?

Nice pics though!

14 minutes ago, patches said:

with scenery like that, it's understandable that you have not felt the need to explore too far away.

It also puts into perspective the decent percentage of Auckland born kiwis, who have also never ventured across the Cook Straight (or they have but only for Queenstown ski trips). With the beauty of the Hauraki Gulf and the convenience of a "big" city, and short drives into the countryside, it's pretty easy to be content in the AKL.

One doesn't even have to drive to get a country feeling in Auckland. This spot is 400m from our new house, which is 14km from CBD...20220108_121306.jpg.da75bcb820eed35d128ccac2923c4a7d.jpg

58 minutes ago, hayleyearth said:

Damn! What's keeping you from going?

Nice pics though!

I can come up with many excuses, but that is all they will be....excuses 😀.

• 4 weeks later...

Due to a little mixup at Rebel Sport, I have been sent two of the new Garmin Epix Gen 2 watches.

These are now fully out of stock in NZ.

I am fully entitled to return it to Rebel for a full refund, but thought I would first check if any fellow NZ based hubbers want it.

It was $1,598.99 and is still in its sealed box.

Let me know if you want it or Ill return it by Thursday.

1 hour ago, Wayne Potgieter said:

Due to a little mixup at Rebel Sport, I have been sent two of the new Garmin Epix Gen 2 watches.

These are now fully out of stock in NZ.

I am fully entitled to return it to Rebel for a full refund, but thought I would first check if any fellow NZ based hubbers want it.

It was $1,598.99 and is still in its sealed box.

Let me know if you want it or Ill return it by Thursday.

Damn! I wish!

I still have a Fenix 3 (non-HR version), and about a week ago I accidentally left it trail-side while doing the walk at Tarwharanui (took it off to reapply sunscreen, and forgot to put it back on). About 30min down the trail when I realised it was missing, my wife (not wanting to turn back) said "that watch is 7 years old and you've been eyeing out a new one for a while, so I'll get you one for your birthday", hahaha!

Me (being a cheapskate) decided to "run" back to find it and then "run" to try catch up with the group.

Short story long, the old Fenix 3 lives on, and whilst it does, I toil with justifying the purchase of a replacement 😅

EDIT: Side story...

My wife's affinity for not returning to collect lost items was first noted when she visited SA for the first time. On the country-wide tour we had a stop in the Drakensburg at a National Parks campsite. The drive there and back was tricky in the tiny little Toyota Etios rental car. After our stay there and once we were about 1hr down the road going through a local settlement (with local kids bombarding the car for "SWEETS!!" when she realised she had left her pretty new iPhone at the chalet. Overwhelmed by the swarming kids and the dread of repeating the bundu-bashing in the tiny-car, she wrote it off.

But thanks to a lovely staff member at the camp and creative relaying between friends visiting that camp weeks after us, and friends of those friends visiting NZ a month after that, the phone made its way back.

Edited by patches

20 minutes ago, patches said:

Damn! I wish!

I still have a Fenix 3 (non-HR version), and about a week ago I accidentally left it trail-side while doing the walk at Tarwharanui (took it off to reapply sunscreen, and forgot to put it back on). About 30min down the trail when I realised it was missing, my wife (not wanting to turn back) said "that watch is 7 years old and you've been eyeing out a new one for a while, so I'll get you one for your birthday", hahaha!

Me (being a cheapskate) decided to "run" back to find it and then "run" to try catch up with the group.

Short story long, the old Fenix 3 lives on, and whilst it does, I toil with justifying the purchase of a replacement 😅

LOL. I upgraded to the fenix 6X and then they launched the Epix. The fenix was always big on my wrist, but when I saw that OLED screen I really regretted my upgrade.

Long story short, managed to sell my Fenix 6X to a mate and then ordered the EPIX, which is...well, EPIC.

19 minutes ago, Wayne Potgieter said:

LOL. I upgraded to the fenix 6X and then they launched the Epix. The fenix was always big on my wrist, but when I saw that OLED screen I really regretted my upgrade.

Long story short, managed to sell my Fenix 6X to a mate and then ordered the EPIX, which is...well, EPIC.

That rehashes one of my old pet peeves with the NZ retail industry. Fluctuating prices advertised as "HOT DEALS!"

About 6 months ago Noel Leeming, Torpedo and Harvey Morman had the Fenix 6X Pro for around $680. Decent deal and had me super tempted to upgrade. Even 1 month ago one could pick it up for $775

Fast forward to now with the Fenix 7 now out and suddenly the very same retailers have advents like this...

"HOT PRICE!" "LIMITED TIME!"

image.png.d82f56824fddd4731eab5e921ae422b7.png

The words of wisdom for those looking to move here... ALWAYS research what something is actually worth, as the retailers here love to use the word "Sale" and other associated terms for just about everything.

Edited by patches

7 minutes ago, patches said:

That rehashes one of my old pet peeves with the NZ retail industry. Fluctuating prices advertised as "HOT DEALS!"

About 6 months ago Noel Leeming, Torpedo and Harvey Morman had the Fenix 6X Pro for around $680. Decent deal and had me super tempted to upgrade. Even 1 month ago one could pick it up for $775

Fast forward to now with the Fenix 7 now out and suddenly the very same retailers have advents like this...

"HOT PRICE!" "LIMITED TIME!"

image.png.d82f56824fddd4731eab5e921ae422b7.png

The words of wisdom for those looking to move here... ALWAYS research what something is actually worth, as the retailers here love to use the word "Sale" and other associated terms for just about everything.

If ever you do decide to upgrade on a Garmin product, I have a loyalty code with fitness.net.nz for 10% of all Garmin products. So if they are the cheapest for whatever you need and you wanna save a little more, let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone here had the unwanted pleasure of a pre-departure covid test?

Planning a trip over the ditch for Easter, and it seems there's no getting around forking out over $200 for a pre-departure PCR test.

Anyone know of places offering the supervised RAT tests?

Ironically I currently have RAT tests 4x a week for work and you'd think one administered by a health board, surveillance testing it's staff would count. But no. It's seems the travel tests are all privatised and it's become another money-making racket!

9 hours ago, patches said:

Anyone here had the unwanted pleasure of a pre-departure covid test?

Planning a trip over the ditch for Easter, and it seems there's no getting around forking out over $200 for a pre-departure PCR test.

Anyone know of places offering the supervised RAT tests?

Ironically I currently have RAT tests 4x a week for work and you'd think one administered by a health board, surveillance testing it's staff would count. But no. It's seems the travel tests are all privatised and it's become another money-making racket!

Welcome to having travel reopened in Omicron days.....

As of today, no more self isolation when returning from Aus... that just made my trip next month a little easier!Still trying to figure out how to avoid paying $400+ in tests.

I noticed that some of my RAT tests show up as "Verified" and taken under supervision. Maybe at some stage these will count?!

image.png.e0425195f79f6a23955cde0fbf777747.png

(the older one was me testing the self reporting function).

18 hours ago, patches said:

As of today, no more self isolation when returning from Aus... that just made my trip next month a little easier!Still trying to figure out how to avoid paying $400+ in tests.

I noticed that some of my RAT tests show up as "Verified" and taken under supervision. Maybe at some stage these will count?!

image.png.e0425195f79f6a23955cde0fbf777747.png

(the older one was me testing the self reporting function).

So what happens if you take your predeparture test and its positive? Do you need to remain in AU for 10-14 days?