New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

3 hours ago, Wayne Potgieter said:

So what happens if you take your predeparture test and its positive? Do you need to remain in AU for 10-14 days?

Then we stay, haha! Fortunately I have in-laws there. But I will take my work PC with just in case I need to hunker-down for a week or 2.

TBH I'm almost hoping I catch it 3 weeks before the trip so that I don't have a last minute infection cancelling everything

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last week was mentally tough. Lots of work pressure and some major changes on the professional front and I wanted some time to make sense of it all and remember my WHY.

Decided to take the kids out of school for a day and go for a nice long hike in the Kaimai Ranges.

No cellphone signal, no electricity, just us and the bush.

Here is the obligatory photo spam...

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 12.58.44 PM (4).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 12.58.44 PM (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 12.58.44 PM (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 12.58.44 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 12.58.44 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 12.58.43 PM (6).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 12.58.43 PM (5).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 12.58.43 PM (4).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 12.58.43 PM (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 12.58.43 PM (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 12.58.43 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 12.58.43 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 12.58.41 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 12.58.39 PM.jpeg

19 hours ago, Wayne Potgieter said:

Last week was mentally tough. Lots of work pressure and some major changes on the professional front and I wanted some time to make sense of it all and remember my WHY.

Decided to take the kids out of school for a day and go for a nice long hike in the Kaimai Ranges.

No cellphone signal, no electricity, just us and the bush.

Here is the obligatory photo spam...

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 12.58.44 PM (4).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 12.58.44 PM (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 12.58.44 PM (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 12.58.44 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 12.58.44 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 12.58.43 PM (6).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 12.58.43 PM (5).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 12.58.43 PM (4).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 12.58.43 PM (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 12.58.43 PM (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 12.58.43 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 12.58.43 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 12.58.41 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-05 at 12.58.39 PM.jpeg

What an awesome idea Wayne! Too often when life starts getting frantic, we hype ourselves up to get frantic with it. Taking a step back is a great way to properly assess the situation, figure out what actually matters most and chart a course ahead to take it on.

And hey, if you get some awesome pics in the process, it's a bonus!

On 11/25/2021 at 1:10 PM, patches said:

Funny how things work...

A while ago I was working for the breweries and you were working in healthcare, now it's the other way around.

I still miss the utilities & process engineering side of things, and would seriously consider getting back into it. 

It would be interesting to know the difference in scale between the SA industry (obviously dominated by SAB/AB-Inbev) and NZ.

Like SAB were building "starter" breweries in smaller African countries like Botwswana and Namibia, and a "starter" brewery was 500,000 HL/year. I think The bigger breweries in SA (Alrode and Rosslyn) are over 6 million HL/year, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, best of luck in the new role, and if you ever need some Saffers with experience working for the breweries, I know of at least 3 who made it over to Auckland :lol:

We have a job available for a Project Engineer .... If any of those Saffas want a job in a brewery again.

On 3/11/2022 at 9:44 AM, hayleyearth said:

We have a job available for a Project Engineer .... If any of those Saffas want a job in a brewery again.

I'll do some asking around. Do you have a Seek link to the PD?

Edited by patches

Aaaand new Auckland CV's (Council Valuations) are out. Well, I saw mine about a week ago, but I just got the email from council this morning.

Land value up by 30%. Total value up by 20%. Hope Auckland Council hasn't got too nasty a surprise in store when rates are adjusted after May.

Also noticed that it's still about 15% lower than sales estimates. I wonder if council went easy on the CV update to avoid adding more fuel to the fiery housing market. Pre-covid CV's were used as an indicator or guideline for buyers, now they mean very little in that regard.

The ugly...

Seems I have inadvertently rubbed someone the wrong way. For about the past 7 or so weeks I have been having issues with mess being left on my verge when council comes to collect rubbish. We have small green food scraps bins in my area, and the collectors spilled it on the lawn on a few consecutive occasions.

After the 3rd time I contacted council to make a complaint. They were responsive and wanted to send someone to clean it up, but I said not to worry, I had already done so. I was merely informing them that the issue persisted.But then it happened again, so I replied to the email chain. They then said they'd take it up with the supervisors of that team.

But then things changed... it went from an "accidental spill" to a deliberate dumping of ALL the bins contents onto the lawn.

But wait, it's not over... this past Sunday I put the bins out for Monday morning collection. When I woke up Monday morning, I went to check the bin. Once again, contents strewn across the lawn, BUT when checking the neighbours bins, I could tell that they hadn't been collected yet.

Therefore, my estimation is that someone (perhaps a rebuked disgruntled employee) is going out of their way to vandalise my property in the middle of the night. Doorbell cam footage confirms a vehicle stopping outside the house around 11:30pm then bins heard to be tossed around. Unfortunately the bins and perps are outta view.

Rather petty and pathetic if you ask me. Initially I wanted to go all Liam Neeson, catch them in the act, reprimand, photograph and report them, but after I calmed down I figured I'll just put my bins out early Monday morning, and they're welcome to waste their $3/L liquid gold to drive by pointlessly.

38 minutes ago, patches said:

The ugly...

Seems I have inadvertently rubbed someone the wrong way. For about the past 7 or so weeks I have been having issues with mess being left on my verge when council comes to collect rubbish. We have small green food scraps bins in my area, and the collectors spilled it on the lawn on a few consecutive occasions.

After the 3rd time I contacted council to make a complaint. They were responsive and wanted to send someone to clean it up, but I said not to worry, I had already done so. I was merely informing them that the issue persisted.But then it happened again, so I replied to the email chain. They then said they'd take it up with the supervisors of that team.

But then things changed... it went from an "accidental spill" to a deliberate dumping of ALL the bins contents onto the lawn.

But wait, it's not over... this past Sunday I put the bins out for Monday morning collection. When I woke up Monday morning, I went to check the bin. Once again, contents strewn across the lawn, BUT when checking the neighbours bins, I could tell that they hadn't been collected yet.

Therefore, my estimation is that someone (perhaps a rebuked disgruntled employee) is going out of their way to vandalise my property in the middle of the night. Doorbell cam footage confirms a vehicle stopping outside the house around 11:30pm then bins heard to be tossed around. Unfortunately the bins and perps are outta view.

Rather petty and pathetic if you ask me. Initially I wanted to go all Liam Neeson, catch them in the act, reprimand, photograph and report them, but after I calmed down I figured I'll just put my bins out early Monday morning, and they're welcome to waste their $3/L liquid gold to drive by pointlessly.

Wow. Thats not cool. Should we orgnaise an all night stakeout to get a rego number next week?

9 minutes ago, Wayne Potgieter said:

I need to increase my life insurance cover. Any recommendations for a good company to work with on this?

Currently with Cigna think I'm getting a fairly decent deal.

About $30pm for $500k cover (they wouldn't allow more when I was on a Working Visa). Compared to SA that was a bargain. Twice the cover at half the cost from my policy there.

Now in the process of moving to Mercer-Marsh as they have a DHB employee discount, plus things like income protection etc. Initial discussions for comparison seem like they'll throw in income protection (75% of annual gross) and $50k of trauma cover for the same rate. Still haven't finalized though.

7 minutes ago, patches said:

Currently with Cigna think I'm getting a fairly decent deal.

About $30pm for $500k cover (they wouldn't allow more when I was on a Working Visa). Compared to SA that was a bargain. Twice the cover at half the cost from my policy there.

Now in the process of moving to Mercer-Marsh as they have a DHB employee discount, plus things like income protection etc. Initial discussions for comparison seem like they'll throw in income protection (75% of annual gross) and $50k of trauma cover for the same rate. Still haven't finalized though.

One of my running coaches had a bad mountain bike accident a few weeks ago and broke and dislocated his neck. The poor guy is now a quadriplegic. Its really highlighted the need for trauma and disability cover. Cannot even begin to imagine having to rebuild your life after something like that.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300532592/outpouring-of-support-for-popular-runner-and-coach-seriously-injured-in-crash

5 hours ago, Wayne Potgieter said:

One of my running coaches had a bad mountain bike accident a few weeks ago and broke and dislocated his neck. The poor guy is now a quadriplegic. Its really highlighted the need for trauma and disability cover. Cannot even begin to imagine having to rebuild your life after something like that.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300532592/outpouring-of-support-for-popular-runner-and-coach-seriously-injured-in-crash

Insurances are begrudged purchases, but I guess the question often is "can I afford to not buy this?".

11 hours ago, Wayne Potgieter said:

We have a disability cover as part of our life insurance policy that our company enforces for the staff.  The cover pays 70% of gross salary in the event of disability, up until retirement age, whereafter the retirement benefit kicks in.  In the event of death, it pays out 3 years gross salary to beneficiaries.

We've had 3 cases now where we've had to claim, a lady who got cancer, a gent who had heart issues, and another who had TB.  In all 3 instances, they/their families would not have been able to cover their expenses if the company did not have the policies in place.

Often it is the first thing people cut out when times are tough, so we enforce it from the company side, and when they've had to claim, people are very thankful that we put it in place.

31 minutes ago, patches said:

The good...

Changing vehicle ownership. Easy, online, free. Sold one my my motorbikes last night. Buyer and I did the change of ownership then and there in under 5min.

Stark contrast to the debacle when trying to change ownership after selling my last car in SA.

Same experience here in the UK. Quick, easy, painless. 

On 3/16/2022 at 10:10 AM, Wayne Potgieter said:

It takes me back almost exactly 1 year ago to when T broke his neck. For about 2 days we didn't know what he will be able to still do going forward, luckily he healed 99.9%!! We are so lucky.