New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Buccaneer 635; made in Hamilton. If you want a cheap boat, get an American one, if you want a good boat, get a Kiwi one. I chose a fibreglass boat because while I enjoy fishing and diving (for which a tinny is generally better) a glass boat gives a far better ride, which the kids and Mrs prefer.

Ours has a 'camper' setup which turns the whole boat into a tent on the water...will report back on how warm or not that is - the water's not that cold just yet and the low in BoI is around 7 or 8 degrees, so I reckon it will be OK..

Ive got my eye on a buccaneer 540 executive on trademe.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a boat too, true story. Back home though. Mostly used for fishing, but can ski with it too. I don't think I'll be able to afford one here though :(

(Not that I've looked at what boat prices are, need a car etc 1st)

If anyone wants a short guided tour of Maraetai forest, I'll be heading out on Sunday sometime. Tracks should be mint. More rain forecast next week, so conditions not likely to be great next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Hubbers

Guess who is coming for their honeymoon in August?

Yes me your crazy 3 wheeling friend!!!

I want to show my future wife what life could be like if we decided make the Groot Trek.

Quite ironic as my grandparents fled Europe due to the wars and now we want to flee due to the crime and other crap that is going on.

I will be in NZ for 3 weeks, staying in Auckland but would love to travel and meet some of you guys. Do you think we could have a Hubbers Barbi for all those in Auckland? 

And lastly a huge request who has a spare bike and feels like taking me on some awesome trails?

We will be available from the 2nd August to the 19th August. 

Looking forward to seeing some old faces!!!

If anyone wants a short guided tour of Maraetai forest, I'll be heading out on Sunday sometime. Tracks should be mint. More rain forecast next week, so conditions not likely to be great next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me me me!

I'll pm you my nr for time details etc

So I've done over 70km of 'commuting style' riding the last 3 says and decided the n+1 rule needs to be applied.... i need a new bike. . Haha

Something to commute with and maybe lock to a pole at the shop's .... (will do that shopping after I did my house and car shopping)

Ive got my eye on a buccaneer 540 executive on trademe.

Buc is a really good boat and an excellent choice. Consider the 550 wide body, too, mate of mine has one of those and it is top notch.

I have a boat too, true story. Back home though. Mostly used for fishing, but can ski with it too. I don't think I'll be able to afford one here though :(

(Not that I've looked at what boat prices are, need a car etc 1st)

Make sure to buy a car that can tow your boat when you get it...

Hello Hubbers

Guess who is coming for their honeymoon in August?

Yes me your crazy 3 wheeling friend!!!

I want to show my future wife what life could be like if we decided make the Groot Trek.

Quite ironic as my grandparents fled Europe due to the wars and now we want to flee due to the crime and other crap that is going on.

I will be in NZ for 3 weeks, staying in Auckland but would love to travel and meet some of you guys. Do you think we could have a Hubbers Barbi for all those in Auckland? 

And lastly a huge request who has a spare bike and feels like taking me on some awesome trails?

We will be available from the 2nd August to the 19th August. 

Looking forward to seeing some old faces!!!

Think I bought something off of you about 8 years ago...or sold you something, can't recall...

I bought a blackburn cycle computer. Met you at the macdonalds in northgate. If i remember you had a polo playa.

Must have been a good 8 years back.

Think I bought something off of you about 8 years ago...or sold you something, can't recall...

Yep, he was a big wheeler dealer a few years back, before he went to the UK.

I remember buying something (a bike frame?) from Rad some years back. Good guy...

I bought a blackburn cycle computer. Met you at the macdonalds in northgate. If i remember you had a polo playa.

Must have been a good 8 years back.

You gents are all correct and I hope to see you guys. I will be in Hillcrest just north of Auckland. So what do you say, can we do a Hubber Barbi?

So here's a few pics from our sleepover in the Bay of Islands. About a 3 hour drive from our place in Red Beach, launched out of Opua. The marina there is being quite heavily redeveloped, but being June there wasn't much traffic. Weather was amazing and - bonus - sleeping on the boat in the water wasn't at all cold. Water temp around 16 degrees; air, down to 7 or 8 overnight, max in the day of around 15/16. Night time on the water is stunning; stars like you won't believe above, and bioluminescence in the water below. Dip your hand in and it sparkles...or it just sparkles a bit less obviously if you don't want cold fingers.

This is the beach in Russell - it's real nice because you can park your boat up and the shops, restaurants etc are right there on the beach.

post-1046-0-40557300-1465193037_thumb.jpg

That's a wider shot of Russell

post-1046-0-18123300-1465193040_thumb.jpg

This is the anchorage we found for the night..

post-1046-0-48881800-1465193043_thumb.jpg

A sailing yacht and the setting sun

post-1046-0-28917400-1465193046_thumb.jpg

Kids playing on Roberton Island

post-1046-0-31713200-1465193050_thumb.jpg

Roberton has an awesome lagoon

post-1046-0-07181100-1465193064_thumb.jpg

The bat beached at Roberton

post-1046-0-59107600-1465193070_thumb.jpg

Random shot 'fishing' somewhere (fishing with kids age 3 and 1 is impossible)

post-1046-0-27903200-1465193074_thumb.jpg

Our boat parked off an island somewhere

post-1046-0-72284000-1465193078_thumb.jpg

You gents are all correct and I hope to see you guys. I will be in Hillcrest just north of Auckland. So what do you say, can we do a Hubber Barbi?

I'd be up for that for sure...