Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.discovery.co.za/portal/individual/vitality-get-to-gold

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-11-17 at 6.42.52 PM.png

Click on each of the sub headings to bring up the various activities you can do. Then follow the link.

Basically a fitness test (biokinetikist); Health Check (Clicks) and a nutrition test gives lots of points if you're fit and healthy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but at 5,000 points per 100km+ cycle event, after 9 races, you should reach the gold 45,000 goal? Or am I reading this all wrong? Sorry I'm a Vitality newbie here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but at 5,000 points per 100km+ cycle event, after 9 races, you should reach the gold 45,000 goal? Or am I reading this all wrong? Sorry I'm a Vitality newbie here.

No, maximum bonus points for fitness is capped at 15000 per member............

No, maximum bonus points for fitness is capped at 15000 per member............

DAMN, I thought it seemed too easy... So Cholesterol tests and all that it it ;)

DAMN, I thought it seemed too easy... So Cholesterol tests and all that it it ;)

Vitality has 3 main sections that each contribute to your Vitality Total.

Know your health. (These are your various health related assessments and their points)

Make healthy choices. (Non smokers declaration and healthy food benefits, along with some challenges from the living vitality site, etc)

Get active. (Fitness activities and assessments collated here)

Each of these has various tests and questionnaires that allow you to score points but only the Get Active one has limits on how many points you can score, so that you are forced to do regular check ups and understand your health from a holistic point of view and in so doing get gold status and the increased savings.

Edited by Tubehunter

It would be great if this cold catch some speed. Daddy wants/needs a new Garmin! I sent them a mail about two weeks ago but have not yet received a reply

I'm still trying to figure out whether Discovery will pay all or part of the annual CSA licensing and whether it includes the racing license.. I phoned Discovery and even they appear a touch confused with regard to this...

It would be great if this cold catch some speed. Daddy wants/needs a new Garmin! I sent them a mail about two weeks ago but have not yet received a reply

+1  - I feel your pain, lol. I am also waiting for the Garmin voucher! They sent out a mail saying that the starter packs (containing the voucher) will only be sent out in February, so I am exercising patience. But I hope they don't use the SA Post office.

If the Garmin vouchers are transferable, it might start a healthy trade in them as I don't see what use they will be to the cycling majority who have the latest ones. Reminds me of the lady who was selling the Cycle Lab voucher.

I'm still trying to figure out whether Discovery will pay all or part of the annual CSA licensing and whether it includes the racing license.. I phoned Discovery and even they appear a touch confused with regard to this...

I would imagine it's ONLY the recreational. Give them time, it only becomes live in February!

Thanks to @cpt armpies mayhem I am down to 49000 points required to maintain Diamond. Got the entire fam booked in with a Discovery Wellness centre for fitness, health and nutrition checks. Gonna be real tight!

You'll get there, Harry!

7,500 points each for the assessment, then the health checks, and you're golden (well, Diamond)

I would imagine it's ONLY the recreational. Give them time, it only becomes live in February!

Bummer!

I was hoping to put that voucher towards the Xmas pressie for the Mrs

Discovery is very clever to put off till February because they don't want to loose us, when we renew our discovery membership.  When February comes, they will tell us that they can't help us and then we are stuck with them for the rest of the year....

Discovery is very clever to put off till February because they don't want to loose us, when we renew our discovery membership.  When February comes, they will tell us that they can't help us and then we are stuck with them for the rest of the year....

Sigh...

You're never "stuck" with any particular company, despite what the other company's tied brokers / agents want to tell you. You're always able to go to another company without any penalty, adverse treatment or other problem. 

On the med aid side, all they CAN put on you (if you've been a member of another med aid for the last 2 years without a break of more than 90 days) is a 3 month general waiting period IF you have an existing health problem. During that time, you still have access to PMB's. 

on the life cover side, you're also not prevented from going elsewhere, unless you've got a health problem which you've developed since you took out the original policy.

You're never "forced" to stay with any one company. That's just BS, plain and simple. 

What they're doing is making their value proposition more attractive than the competition, by giving you additional benefits which the competition cannot match (yet) - if you move, you lose those benefits. Simple. You're not locked in, you're just dissuaded from moving by personal choice, as you perceive the value of staying to be higher than that of moving elsewhere. 

In your joining fee its going to included your CSA license & CGC, your racing license will be for your own account.

Back to the title of the thread "Team discovery - 50% back on events" the devil is always in the detail.  Reading their website be sure to understand that it is up to 50% discount, so no doubt depending on your Vitality status, the discount will vary accordingly.  As rightly also pointed out, there are no details yet on what races the discount will offered on.  This is TBC... and the cap on the saving of R3,000 is already been clearly made.  All in all, check when the list of races where the discount will be applicable and then make an informed decision...the discount however and vouchers, free stuff etc should still make it somewhat worthwhile, but dont be expecting to save tens of thousands. In my opinion even if it helps save R2k, its R2k I never had before... :thumbup: