Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

So you go with another insurance firm and you get no rewards, at lease with Discovery I get something off my fuel every month and at roughly R400 a month that is nearly R5k a year.

I have not changed my driving style to try and max the payback, I drive as i normally would.

Perhaps compare quotes first and then decide if something back is worth it.  My Discovery insure quote was less than what others offered when I looked to renew my insurance 15 months ago.

And the nice thing about fitting a DQ tracker, I do not have to pay for a separate tracker in my car by another company.

The DQ tracker is also fairly sensitive, I have hit a pothole hard or cornered too sharply at speed and I assume the in built in accelerometer has gone over the limits and within minutes received a phone call asking if all was ok as a warning had come up on the system to being in a potential accident.  That is a nice piece of mind benefit

I have just joined the Team Vitality team for 2016(hopefully)

I would say if you work the system well it is beneficial, I get Around R1000 back in Fuel every month, have Free gym membership at the gym, Get around R600 worth of Discovery Miles, Get around r250 on healthy food and some more on healthy gear and health items at Clicks and Dischem. The thing is to get to Diamond status and keep it there.

current club is R500 fee in any case and I do not loose even if I do not get cash back on events therefore, however I know I will get some cash back.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you go with another insurance firm and you get no rewards, at lease with Discovery I get something off my fuel every month and at roughly R400 a month that is nearly R5k a year.

I have not changed my driving style to try and max the payback, I drive as i normally would.

Perhaps compare quotes first and then decide if something back is worth it.  My Discovery insure quote was less than what others offered when I looked to renew my insurance 15 months ago.

And the nice thing about fitting a DQ tracker, I do not have to pay for a separate tracker in my car by another company.

The DQ tracker is also fairly sensitive, I have hit a pothole hard or cornered too sharply at speed and I assume the in built in accelerometer has gone over the limits and within minutes received a phone call asking if all was ok as a warning had come up on the system to being in a potential accident.  That is a nice piece of mind benefit

Sure - I hear you.  I guess the point is to first see if it is competitive without any rewards, if so there is presumably only upside.  We've been on diamond for years and certainly do very well out of the rest of the Vitality rewards between cash back, travel discounts etc...

Edited by dracs

I have just joined the Team Vitality team for 2016(hopefully)

I would say if you work the system well it is beneficial, I get Around R1000 back in Fuel every month, have Free gym membership at the gym, Get around R600 worth of Discovery Miles, Get around r250 on healthy food and some more on healthy gear and health items at Clicks and Dischem. The thing is to get to Diamond status and keep it there.

current club is R500 fee in any case and I do not loose even if I do not get cash back on events therefore, however I know I will get some cash back.

^^^ what he said, you work the system, lots of benefits!!

Is worth taking time to learn and understand the system and to make it work for you

Thanks for the info Shaper. Agree that if Discovery come out the same as another quote, there is only upside.

dracs i kinda share your take on it, but it is worth considering.

Did anyone find and go to the Team Vitality hospitality at the 94.7? I could not find it. Went to Cycle Lab, that was an awesome setup. Took good care of customers.

Hi Myles

All credit to you - you certainly know your ****. You are a great help. Thank you!

I use the Garmin on the bike and the idt, but still use my Polar in spinning classes. The Garmin points seem to be coming through, but not the polar. These used to come through as soon I uploaded to polarpersonaltrainer.com.

Any idea if there is a prohibition against having both devices registered as point scoring mechanisms?

Hi Myles

All credit to you - you certainly know your ****. You are a great help. Thank you!

I use the Garmin on the bike and the idt, but still use my Polar in spinning classes. The Garmin points seem to be coming through, but not the polar. These used to come through as soon I uploaded to polarpersonaltrainer.com.

Any idea if there is a prohibition against having both devices registered as point scoring mechanisms?

No, no prohibition. From what I've heard though, you need to download the file and import it to either strava or Garmin before it will register the exercise. They used to sync with both, but I think somewhere along the line there was a bit of a change. Let me know if it works.

No, no prohibition. From what I've heard though, you need to download the file and import it to either strava or Garmin before it will register the exercise. They used to sync with both, but I think somewhere along the line there was a bit of a change. Let me know if it works.

Thanks, I will give a shot - but moving forward, I reckon it will be less of a ball ache to shlepp the garmin to the gym.

Thanks, I will give a shot - but moving forward, I reckon it will be less of a ball ache to shlepp the garmin to the gym.

agreed. It's also part of the reason I got my Fenix. Single device without relying on STRAVA recording on my phone, which can be spotty at times. 

Did anyone find and go to the Team Vitality hospitality at the 94.7? I could not find it. Went to Cycle Lab, that was an awesome setup. Took good care of customers.

their hospitality area at that event was right next to the beer tent & the food-stalls :ph34r:

With their spot having their own dedicated bike-parking area, not sure how one can lost sight of their hospitality area :mellow:

Yep, was awesome.  Big tall vitality flags pointed the way...  they had their own bike park, proper physio's doing the post race massage, chocolate milk recovery drinks (or your preference of colddrink), woollies sandwiches etc etc etc.

Edited by dracs

Could anyone who uses Discovery Insure for their car insurance comment on the cash back they actually receive?

My understanding is that the level of cash back you receive is relative to how well you drive (as recorded by the tracking device installed). I tried out their iPhone app that records how you drive to get an idea of how I would do. I consider myself to be a decent driver and I am guilty of going over the speed limit from time to time, but it would appear that you have to drive like a granny to stay within their acceptable driving habits they prescribe.

Therefore I don't think many people could be getting much cash back at all. Is my assessment correct? 

Hey bro.

I have myself and my wife on my policy and this month my cash back was R 950 bucks. The only thing I lose a lot of points on is speeding as it's impossible to stay within the speeding limit. Other than that, I haven't changed the way I drive. If you take the app and tag option you get real time scores and they're pretty accurate as Ive tested harsh braking, acceleration and the device was spot on.

Personally, if you just drive normally you will get plenty of points back. If you drive like a maniac, you'll get less. I also average about 1000 km's a month and I hardly ever do night driving so I score well on that. 

The thing is even if you drive shyte, as long as you do your online assessments, complete your TWT check, do your eye-gym and do an online driving course you will still get good amount of money back. The driver score is only one part of how the cashback works/

Some have posted they get their gym membership paid in full... I only get 80% and have looked on the website and cannot see how to get it up to 100%

Advice much appreciated :)

Some have posted they get their gym membership paid in full... I only get 80% and have looked on the website and cannot see how to get it up to 100%

Advice much appreciated :)

the old gym benefit was free membership for a local, 1 gym membership. It changed in approx 2010 or so. Those guys are the lucky ones - they'll always have that, unless they fall below 36 visits per year. Then they lose it. Forever.

From 2016 onwards, the 80% discount is moving to 75% (for a single gym) but you can ratchet it up to 100% based on activity / status.... 

Hi Myles

I sync my watch to polarpersonaltrainer.com and it pulls into the active rewards app just fine. Make sure Discovery Vitality is authorised under "Partners" on polarpersonaltrainer.com?