Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

So I eventually got around to doing the test - last week Friday.

It wasn't quite what I thought it would be, but I'm still happy I got to experience it.

VO2max (absolute) is 5.05 L/min

VO2max (relative) is 66.4 ml/Kg/min

Peak RER (Respiratory Exchange Ratio) is 1.11 - "This figure shows the relationship between the amount of oxygen inhaled and carbon dioxide exhaled in one breath. It can predict the proportion of which fuel your body is using for energy (fats vs. carbohydrates). It can also give an idea of how hard an athlete has pushed during a bout of exercise."

I was told not to do any intensive activities for 48 hours before the test.

Relative Power was 4.5W/Kg, placing me in the "Competitive Junior" category.

Peak Power Output was 342W, placing me in the "Competitive Club Cyclist" category, which is where I thought I would be. I was 18W away from hitting the "Top Amateur" category (which I believe is known as Cat 1 internationally), so I'm not too disappointed.

What took me by surprise was how hard the test was... pedal for 15 minutes at 100W resistance (to warm up), then the Watts increase 1W every 3 seconds. As soon as the cadence drops below 70rpm, the test stops and you then go until you pop. My test lasted 27 minutes and 3 seconds and probably could have gone a bit more. Having a mask over my face filled with perspiration and not being able to wipe it away made me feel a bit claustrophobic. 

LT is 289W or 166bpm - not far off my values currently showing in TrainingPeaks.

"Lactate turn point falls at 85% of peak power output. This is equivalent to that achieved by top amateurs and elites (80-90%). Training is therefore well balanced with respect to

endurance and high intensity training."

My flexibility is, well, not my strong point, and something I'm told to improve by many. I don't do much about it when told, so maybe now I should do something about.

There's a whole lot more that they've given me, but I'm sure the above is about the most important.

Would I recommend this test?

Yes - it's something I've never done and I although most of the results are similar to my day to day training/riding, it is nice to have input from another source. There are other results that I may never get again and it's somewhat satisfying knowing where I fit in the pecking order. Nothing worth bragging about, but just another little bit of knowledge gained.

edit: spelling, and added the VO2max chart below

Power Output Ranking Profile: Where do I fit in to the ranking?
  • Professional Cyclist (>420W)
  • Top Amateur Cyclist (360-420W)
  • Competitive Club Level Cyclist (320-359W)
  • Competitive Junior Level Cylist (265-319W)
  • Novice Cyclist (220-264W)
  • Recreational Cyclist (175-219W)
  • Untrained Cyclist (<175W)

Also went for mine 2 weeks ago. I am thoroughly impressed by the test and the amount of information you receive from it. Now I know what to work on (my eating and stretching skills seem to be the important ones).

The test was hectic, was dead afterwards. Took me a few minutes to find the strength to get off the bike, but recovered quite quickly, which I was chuffed about.

If you have the cash moneys to go do the test I'd say go for it. You'll probably find out some interesting facts about your abilities and where you can improve.

BTW, those figures looks good geraldm24, I can see why you give the hurt on occasion to the guys at the races.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also went for mine 2 weeks ago. I am thoroughly impressed by the test and the amount of information you receive from it. Now I know what to work on (my eating and stretching skills seem to be the important ones).

The test was hectic, was dead afterwards. Took me a few minutes to find the strength to get off the bike, but recovered quite quickly, which I was chuffed about.

If you have the cash moneys to go do the test I'd say go for it. You'll probably find out some interesting facts about your abilities and where you can improve.

BTW, those figures looks good geraldm24, I can see why you give the hurt on occasion to the guys at the races.

Giving hurt... not so much.

On the receiving end from the top boys in Vets... most definitely.

But it's still fun either way.

Giving hurt... not so much.

On the receiving end from the top boys in Vets... most definitely.

But it's still fun either way.

Haha, I take it back then.

But I agree, fun it is indeed!

• 2 weeks later...

Team Vitality has paid me R182.50 as of this morning. So of course I want to know how they have calculated it, because I have done a lot of races on their calendar, and if they just give 25% back on the Argus that is already R100....called the Call Centre...the guy is not even aware that pay-outs have started! So have logged a query.

And yes I do realise I am criticizing a system that has "just launched and is not yet fully operational" but I expect a listed company to do things properly before launching. 

Team Vitality has paid me R182.50 as of this morning. So of course I want to know how they have calculated it, because I have done a lot of races on their calendar, and if they just give 25% back on the Argus that is already R100....called the Call Centre...the guy is not even aware that pay-outs have started! So have logged a query.

And yes I do realise I am criticizing a system that has "just launched and is not yet fully operational" but I expect a listed company to do things properly before launching.

Argus isn't included as you had to enter and pay before the benefit was launched.

Argus isn't included as you had to enter and pay before the benefit was launched.

That did not stop the marketing team at Discovery putting the event in one of the press releases :P

They actually had a whole hospitality area at the Cape Town Cycle Tour so its definitely included. 

They actually had a whole hospitality area at the Cape Town Cycle Tour so its definitely included. 

Were you a part of Club Vitality when you entered and paid? No? There you go. That they had a presence for the members of the club who rode the Argus has nothing to do with whether they were entitled to a discount on a race that was entered before the product was launched. 

Nor does it mean that the event was not included on the calendar to show that it would be there for future iterations, and you would get a discount if you entered THIS year, when you ARE a member of the Club Vitality offering. 

Being on the race calender and getting discount for it are two completely entirely different things, the race calender just means points, nothing more nothing less, now if you look at the calender and they have a discount % next to it on the website then you will get money back for it.

Please keep us posted, rather intrigued to see their calc's....

Payback.... :thumbup:

Nor does it mean that the event was not included on the calendar to show that it would be there for future iterations, and you would get a discount if you entered THIS year, when you ARE a member of the Club Vitality offering. 

If only future iterations qualify and not the 2015 event surely that should be stated clearly on the marketing calendar? I don't see any mention of this on the doc cleats attached

Apologies missed the one post.... clearly wearing club shirt.....for races.

Oops, the club joined Discovery :eek: