Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

- don't warm up, go harder than recommended,

I feel like I got a new insight into how much blame people are willing to place on someone else for their own troubles. Rather interesting...

Or you can see it that the people are doing exactly what the disco system are designed to do.

Training in the zones and times recommened by disco.

And if you dont your doomed by paying without getting rewards and if you do your also doomded for overtraining and being stupid.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually could, if I wanted to. That's how I learn about things I'm interested in... like carbon layup, engine performance characteristics & tweaks, woodworking tricks and tips; the list goes on... 

But no, I needed to do these pesky things called RE exams, and do something called RPL and get some credits for continual learning (cpd points, I think they are) and I'm currently redoing my entire qualification 'cos Unisa are to arse-faced to release my credit certificate so I can do the next step in my qualifications and get some pesky letters next to my name. But that won't do me any good, because I used to train brokers who had those pesky letters beside their names. All from getting taught myself, by people more experienced than I. And googling stuff I didn't know. And actually asking questions instead of assuming things. 

But no, I'm "just" a broker. 

Deep breath.... :whistling:

The guy is an idiot. As stated about 100 pages ago. Just a broker comment confirms it.

Nah, I just think a lot of people haven't taken a step back and thought it through properly. 

On other matters - Carpet - any chance you could just do your warmup and THEN start the watch? Even if you hit 70 / 75% - you'd still be getting points and still be exercising properly. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

firstly - thanks for being so patronising. Really does help the conversation.

No, I do not have an interest in protecting their integrity - I am an independent advisor, dealing with all the major companies. I just favour logic and reason over pitchforking and SJW tactics. The majority of my income comes from my investment book, and whilst the majority of my Life insurance clients are on Discovery, only about 2 or 3 have taken up the Watch deal. 

And you're 100% correct in that Discovery's bottom line benefits from people being more active and aware of their health. That means less claims, lower lapse ratios, more information on how to structure their med aid products to benefit the client from a cost / benefit perspective (remember - med aids are a non profit by legislation - any profits they make go straight to the members' reserves, to be used for claims. The profitable part of a med aid isn't the med aid - it's the administration of a med aid, which Discovery Medical Aid Administrators takes care of - and charges Disco and any other med aids that they administer)

The fact of the matter is this - the Apple watch costs & smoothie vouchers are PALTRY compared to the cost savings that come from lower claims, lower lapse ratios and higher integration into their system. Add that to the fact that the large percentage of Vitality members aren't even using the benefits as advertised, thereby cross subsidising those who do... 

Please calm down.....it was not meant to be patronising....you posts are coming across as very biased towards Discovery giving the impression of personal interest......you seem to become steadily more angry as we are walking this road....I ask simple questions......ones you didn't answner and then answered again......you keep referring to this "paltry" amount.......then tell me why they are making life so difficult for their members ?

Are they prepared and quite happy to get as many cancellations as possible in time to come just so they can simplify their own administration.......and make more profits ?

You keep talking of how they "benefit" their members.....the Discovery most of us knew a year or so back gave that impression....the Discovery we see now is giving a very different view of what customer relations are meant to be......

Quite a simple process really.......a host of unhappy clients.... make a choice......seems like Discovery have indeed made their choice.....and very little of it actually benefits the customer.....let's not even star delving in to the horrors stories of medical bills they are NOT paying.....life insurance pay outs where they pay as little as they can because their T's and C's tell them they can.....seems to me the days of ethical insurance companies have come and gone......

Edited by BarHugger

Or you can see it that the people are doing exactly what the disco system are designed to do.

And if you dont your doomed by paying without getting rewards and if you do your also doomded for overtraining and being stupid.

Tell me - how are you "doomed" by paying for a watch that you bought, over 2 years, at 0% interest?

The guy is an idiot. As stated about 100 pages ago. Just a broker comment confirms it.

Thanks......I robbed an idiot booth to get my idiots license.......

Tell me - how are you "doomed" by paying for a watch that you bought, over 2 years, at 0% interest?

Assumptions Myles.....assumptions......

Please calm down.....it was not meant to be patronising....you pots are common across as very biased towards Discovery giving the impression of personal interest......you seem to become steadily more angry as we are walking this road....I ask simple questions......ones you didn't sneer and the answered again......you keep referring to this "paltry" amount.......then tell me why they are making life so difficult for their members ?

Are they prepared and quite happy to get as many cancellations as possible in time to come just so they can simplify their own administration.......and make more profits ?

You keep talking of how they "benefit" their members.....the Discovery most of us knew a year or so back gave that impression....the Discovery we see now is giving a very different view of what customer relations are meant to be......

Quite a simple process really.......a host of unhappy clients.... make a choice......seems like Discovery have indeed made their choice.....and very little of it actually benefits the customer.....let's not even star delving in to the horrors stories of medical bills they are NOT paying.....life insurance pay outs where they pay as little as they can because their T's and C's tell them they can.....seems to me the days of ethical insurance companies have come and gone......

How is utilising common sense being biased? 

As for the last bit... Yeah, that's totally true. Comes down to either brokers not explaining what a client is covered for, or a client having unrealistic expectations based on a misunderstanding and / or ignorance of the product. 

Nah, I just think a lot of people haven't taken a step back and thought it through properly. 

On other matters - Carpet - any chance you could just do your warmup and THEN start the watch? Even if you hit 70 / 75% - you'd still be getting points and still be exercising properly. 

But why should people change their device usage to accommodate Discovery......as I read they are there to benefit their members....not the other way around ?

Edited by BarHugger

Assumptions Myles.....assumptions......

Nope, I know Carpet has a polar. 

It was a question, based on a previous post by Carpet, highlighted in bold. Only thing you're paying by not getting rewards is the watch or smoothies. Or gym membership, which you're getting a 75% discount on anyway. 

Carpet, on 23 May 2016 - 3:51 PM, said:snapback.png

Wow, this thread is such a good example of how people don't want to take responsibility for their lives, how they live or what they do. Discovery do something rather innovative and pretty darn cool and now it's Discovery's fault because they don't train properly - don't warm up, go harder than recommended, for a smoothie or because they didn't think the purchase of an apple watch through? 

I feel like I got a new insight into how much blame people are willing to place on someone else for their own troubles. Rather interesting... 

It would have been pretty darn cool if they implemented it correctly in the first place! Just don't like the way they are trying to screw us over, the members who do reach their weekly goals? If it was a level playing field and I didn't achieve the goals I have no problem accepting it and paying for it.

But why should people change their device usage to accommodate Discovery......as I read they are there to benefit their members....not the other way around ?

To get the goals. Not to accommodate Discovery. 

I did not signup for a watch. Im saying that you are still paying the monthly membership every month but you are missing out on rewards. It maybe a cashback/smoothie what ever reward disco decides to give that month.

How many other schemes are there out there? Why don't the disgruntled members move to another scheme where they will get value for their money??

It would have been pretty darn cool if they implemented it correctly in the first place! Just don't like the way they are trying to screw us over, the members who do reach their weekly goals? If it was a level playing field and I didn't achieve the goals I have no problem accepting it and paying for it.

not trying to screw you over - just wanting to get it to the point that it's a challenge...

I will admit that for me, that would be about 3,000 points or so given that I rev high. But ito time, 1,500 is probably more challenging at the moment. Not able to ride for 2h30 every weekend. 

Discovery is continuously moving the goal posts, even changed the approved devices. They are accommodating themselves.