To Hell and Back: South Africa’s first MTB Stage Race turns 21 years old

News bot

Not much has changes since the first event, back in 1995, when it was created out of a deep passion for remote places and touring-style riding. The mountainous route, magnificent views, well-stocked waterpoints, relaxed atmosphere and sleep-over in The Hell makes this event so popular!

Click here to view the article

An awesome event, I like the slightly more informal setup and the gees down in the hell is lekker especially if you bring along a few buddies. Not a race I will do every year but definitely every now and then.

(Almost caught Ischen on Stage 1 - geez that girl can trap a bike on a climb!)

Think the thing that broke me was spinning up the hills on the way out, and the bloke from bloemfontein blatantly breaks my bruised spririt whilst standing out of the saddle cruising pastme on his single speed steed.

Why, oh why must this be on the same weekend of the 94.7?

Maybe next year I won't just settle for the one close to home although 94.7 is one of only 2 road races I do each year; on a SS MTB.....

It is a fantastic race in a fantastic place. Unfortunately I nearly died on day one.......which turned out to be officially the worst day I have ever spent on a bike........right from the start I felt pap and my heart rate behaved like a rocket. After the day 1 finish my heart rate just stayed way too high and then the flu knocked me for a century.......and I understood why even the tortoises could overtake me on the uphills! So, very grumpy but I did the right thing and bailed for day 2. The first race ever that I didn't finish! I also felt terrible abandoning Beattbox to ride out of the Hell alone, but at least he didn't have to wait for me on every climb like he patiently did on day one. He's a true gentleman!

I'm no maths genius, but isn't it 20 years then (but had 21 events)?

Who's done the most?

It was the 21st event this year. It is the oldest of all the SA stage races. There are 2 guys that have done all 21 of them!

Edited by DJR

I'm no maths genius, but isn't it 20 years then (but had 21 events)?

Who's done the most?

95 = the first,

04 = 10th

14 = 20th

15 = 21st.

Did Zuma help you count ;)

mates of mine handling the last waterpoint had an ice cold windhoek draught waiting for me. Downed the beer, felt it up the rest of heartbreak, helped to stay calm on the way down