Commuting advise needed - cyclist vs runner

Runbikeswim

I always thought its like traffic.... keep left....

it is supposed to be exactly that, and going against the flow of traffic as far as I am aware is against the law.

Between Westlake golf course and the estate - about mid-way on that road that connects with the bottom of Boyse Drive.

Was it perhaps that nut job discussed on the hub a few weeks ago? Its about the same area

Only thing that will ever work in this situation is mutual respect....obviously in wont always happen!

The problem is everyone think they are busy competing all the time. People need to chill a bit.

When I cycle, its all about how much fun I am going to have, the times speak for themselves afterwards. Take sunday at steilte for instance. We climbing a hill and my buddy was a few meters upfront. ON a bend I notice a runner descending and at the bend he waits to let my buddy climb the switchback, to which I reply loudly AAHHH finally an Excuse to stop!!

We all had a good laugh and carried on, no harm no foul, and this oke looked the real and proper part as a runner as well.

Just have fun and share

Interesting topic.

Most of my encounters are pedestrians at the moment - lots of mutual respect and we all get along just fine, cellphone watchers and those with headphones present the biggest challenge - sometimes even the best intention to alert them still scares the wits out of them.

Worst experience last year was doing lots of running and dealing with the cyclists going from Camps Bay to Llandudno - a road I have commuted on for 25 years - many of the cyclists couldnt give a toss and expect a runner to climb the bank rather than them lose the wheel as they struggle to hold on to the top of Sbossie. Really sucked seeing how self important cyclists had become on that road.

We all need to get along - especially as today its a case of safety in numbers.

I have given and received nothing but mutual respect from fellow mtb'ers and trail runners so far, however, it would seem that the parents of the pedestrians I encounter on my daily commute from Sandton Gautrain station failed entirely in teaching their children to look right, left and right again before crossing a road.

They never seem to even bother to check the cycle lane before stepping in front of me andone dayvery soon they will experience a Radac into the hip at 35 km/h at which point I will needto take Specialized up on their helmet crash replacement policy. Not my idea of fun at all.

Was it perhaps that nut job discussed on the hub a few weeks ago? Its about the same area

I did not see the discussion you mention but the guy yesterday did not look like a nutter at all and his injuries were genuine, so I would guess not the same.

I train on the roads in the area I live in, and fairly often I commute with one of my bikes.

Maybe I am just fortunate, but, I have never once had a runner who did not move out my way, and all of them signal to me whether they're going to move left or right. (Admittedly, especially on the commute, as it is the same time you see a lot of the same people).

They're also always friendly and we exchange greetings.

I find it a much bigger problem coming across other commuting cyclists that are on the wrong side of the road.

the runner who "drops his shoulder" at you almost certainly goes through all aspects of his life doing the same thing. Whether he's driving, in a business meeting or on a date.

People like that are best avoided.

A friend of my (who is on here, so I won't mention his name) went head to head while he was climbing a steep rutted hill on the Spruit with a walker (nog al) both doing about 4 km/h. He just couldn't get out of the rut he was in and I think they both moved sideways at the last minute, but in the same direction. Cue "slow motion tumble" by my mate. No harm done.

:-)

Archived