ClaireT

And thanks DJR! But I think I still have the original plastic pedals lying around somewhere. Those'll do for now  :)

I'll just leave this here http://betterride.net/blog/2011/head-coach-andys-take-on-flat-pedals-for-mtb-riding/

http://dialdbikes.co.za/dartmoor-cookie-pedals.html

http://dialdbikes.co.za/dartmoor-stream-pedals-red.html

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/shimano-saint-pdm-x80-pedals (I have these, they're tough as nails and I've been very happy with them, they were however much cheaper than this when I bought them)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Edit: spelling

Btw I don't think 5.10s are mandatory, but you will need shoes that are flat at the bottom, trail running shoes don't work very well. I rode in vans quite a bit and was fairly happy for quite awhile. I have 5.10s now and they are better but its not a deal breaker.

I think I still have the original plastic pedals lying around somewhere. Those'll do for now  :)

Hi Clair if your original pedals look like these then take DJR up on his offer.

http://www.performancebike.com/images/performance/products/large/00-0427-BLK-ANGLE.JPG

I mean no offence, But those pedals are called bear traps for a reason. 

They offer no grip whatsoever and are meant for nothing more than pedaling a bike out the store to get a 'feel' for the way a bike fits you. Most new bikes are sold without pedals at all. Because pedals are quite a personal thing. 

Anyways. This is what a decent flat pedal looks like

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/VP-aim-pedal-silver-600x525.jpg

See those pins on the pedal surface? With the right soled shoes they offer

PHENOMENAL grip. 

You don't have to invest in top of the line shoes and pedals but bear traps with slippery soled shoes can be as discouraging to a BeginnerBeginnerLikeReallyBeginner as being clipped in and I would hate for that to happen.

As for shoes. Kinda hard to explain upfront but here are some examples so you get a better idea.

Shoes with soles like this or similar are a terrible idea. 

http://www.19puma.cc/images/Puma-Future-Cat-M1-Carbon-Shoes-0174.JPG

You want something with a rubber compound is 'knobbed' or grooved in a way that provides traction with the pedal. Like this.

http://www.sicklines.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Specialized-2fo-shoes-slip-not2.jpg

even this will do

http://assets2.routeone.co.uk/media/productimages/x/00/10/001030951_d.jpg

Hope this helps

Happy trails

So much fantastic advice! Thank you all!

Ok. I am inspired to just get on the damn thing and go for a pedal!

Firstly, I am overwhelmed by the friendliness of you bunch  :D  I must admit, going in for the 'first post' in a super established community is a little daunting! But, really, thanks all for your friendly and open welcome and for all the advice!

Uni, I seriously might just take you up on that offer one soon! :)

Lurch... also might take you up on that offer when I can stay on the bike for more than a couple of hundred metres  :D

And thanks DJR! But I think I still have the original plastic pedals lying around somewhere. Those'll do for now  :)

As a matter of interest, besides the pedal issue, how 'bad' (ok, 'bad' is a poor choice of word) is the BeginnerBeginnerLikeReallyBeginner status?
By that I mean, did you learn to ride as a kid and remember the basics?
Did you learn but have managed to forget? (They say you don't forget, but you can, I had to literally teach my sister last year by holding onto the saddle like you would with a little kid)
Did you never learn at all before getting this bike and getting 'bullied' into the cleats?

I'd be worried about taking anyone named Lurch The Stalker up on anything they offer...

Last thing you need is to wake up in his "sister's" basement...

Be safe out there, Claire.

I agree Baaisikilist, I wouldn't trust me either :P

Hi Claire

Pop in at the Trailhead for a chat. I have a pair of flats you can loan till you decide if that's what you want or get your own. I have assisted a number of novices in accepting that it's okay to ride without cleats and can put you in touch with some of them to ride with. You will be surprised but nearly half of riders on The Spruit are beginners riding entry level bikes with flat pedals. I know because my shop is right at the main parking lot. That's why we are called the Trailhead.

Incidentally, I have assisted a few of the people in this thread with skills and advice so I'm happy to see the advice they pass on is spot on :thumbup:

Sean.

Hi Claire

Pop in at the Trailhead for a chat. I have a pair of flats you can loan till you decide if that's what you want or get your own. I have assisted a number of novices in accepting that it's okay to ride without cleats and can put you in touch with some of them to ride with. You will be surprised but nearly half of riders on The Spruit are beginners riding entry level bikes with flat pedals. I know because my shop is right at the main parking lot. That's why we are called the Trailhead.

Incidentally, I have assisted a few of the people in this thread with skills and advice so I'm happy to see the advice they pass on is spot on :thumbup:

Sean.

Claire,

Take his offer. Don't even think twice about it.

Claire,

+1

My wife was also a ride 10m and fall off type. Now she rides fine.

Practise practise practise... as with anything... and those flat pedals with the pins hurt more than cleat falls. Use those plastic ones you have they don't hurt so much when the crank arm spins round and klaps a chin.

Good luck! and don't give up.

Hi Claire.

Just to add to the encouragement above: When my better half started cycling 2 and bit years ago at age 50, she NEVER rode a bicycle before in her life (she grew up on a farm- they rode horses and tractors...)

She literally started out on flats on my old bike by riding up and down the driveway, then out on street early morning- first time she only rode 750 meters, then around the block and so on.

A month ago we cycled the last 280 km of the Camino de Santiago de Compostela in Spain- 5 of the 6 days was in excess of 50km per day- she rode with flats.

GO cycle. you will never be sorry.

Edit: spelling

Btw I don't think 5.10s are mandatory, but you will need shoes that are flat at the bottom, trail running shoes don't work very well. I rode in vans quite a bit and was fairly happy for quite awhile. I have 5.10s now and they are better but its not a deal breaker.

Yup i use Skate shoes with Flat bottoms works well for me with Flats and Pins

+1

My wife was also a ride 10m and fall off type. Now she rides fine.

Practise practise practise... as with anything... and those flat pedals with the pins hurt more than cleat falls. Use those plastic ones you have they don't hurt so much when the crank arm spins round and klaps a chin.

Good luck! and don't give up.

This is not good advice. Rather recommend some Shin Guards. Those cheap pedals hurt just as much as pin pedals. 

My wife rode with the cheap ones for a while and went to pins when I upgraded. She did not notice the difference but she also commented that originals were in no way any safer (I asked since she rides less often and I try making her ride more comfortable).

My wife started riding 2 years ago and she has never ridden before she picked it up fast but still not comfortable(TITS would help) She does enjoy a early morning coffee ride on Sunday's tho.

My friend went from never really riding a bike he's about 150kg to riding some trails and doing some technical (he actually still rides his bear traps and he hates them unfortunately he is financially challenged)

Claire,

The Trail Head is at the bottom end of Conrad drive, just before you cross the Spruit near Jan Smuts in Blairgowrie.

Take Sean up on his offer; he has taught people of all levels to ride better. Google their contact details or just PM him here on the hub.

I wish I had done it earlier as the confidence I got from doing basic things properly has changed the way I ride, and the enjoyment I get from it.

Today is Friday, you could be a cyclist by Sunday !!!!!!!

Notice that all the best technical riders in the world ride platform pedals, yes there are exceptions but predominantly if people are looking to push the limits of what's possible they do it on flats. 

err...I wouldn't say that....only about 1% of the dh world cup circuit ride flats

BUT...the OP must get rid of the cleats! basic set of flats and sommer running shoes to start with...no need to go all out with 510's or any of that malarky

point 2...lady hubbers thread...go join it ASAP

Guys, let us not turn this into a "flat pedal discussion". Lets stick to keeping it simple and helping this lady get riding her bike.

Why did I not know about this thread....

Claire, one other thing is to ask someone to check your saddle height.  Having it correct can make a big difference.  I've seen a lot of beginners riding with it too low and it makes it harder when your knees are sticking out sideways.

Good luck, enjoy and never be scared to ask someone for help or advice.  We all were beginners once.

Archived