ClaireT

This is not good advice. Rather recommend some Shin Guards. Those cheap pedals hurt just as much as pin pedals. 

My wife rode with the cheap ones for a while and went to pins when I upgraded. She did not notice the difference but she also commented that originals were in no way any safer (I asked since she rides less often and I try making her ride more comfortable).

My wife started riding 2 years ago and she has never ridden before she picked it up fast but still not comfortable(TITS would help) She does enjoy a early morning coffee ride on Sunday's tho.

My friend went from never really riding a bike he's about 150kg to riding some trails and doing some technical (he actually still rides his bear traps and he hates them unfortunately he is financially challenged)

Eeeerm no the pins hurt more... when it looks like your skin has been raked and you are bleeding into your socks - they hurt more.

She has already got the other ones... also when you are going down and your foot is "gripped" by the pins on the pedals - not fun - bought pinned pedals for wife on Saturday and they hit the classifieds on Sunday so I speak from experience.

if you can slide off your foot easily to prevent falling - much better.

Remember guys - she is not trying to keep up with Sam Hill so slipping off the pedals is not going to be such a problem as for the "pros". She is learning to ride a bike for the first time it seems. obviously if you use good flat shoes etc etc then perhaps later the pinned flats will be better...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back on point - find a friend or group that will help you and more importantly wants to help without getting fed up. Once you have basic riding well under the belt then attend a skills clinic. No use learning skills you not gonna use circling your driveway/complex parking etc.

More importantly - always wear a helmet!

you are in northcliff  so try the dam loop at emerentia it close enough to starting.

The loop is 5km almost on the dot , if you double back and skip the sharp climb at the southern most part and double back along the small stream than cross over at the bridge

Very flat and easy ,  low traffic in late morning and afternoons.

I have taken my wife there twice to get hand of bike in low key environment  

https://www.bikehub.co.za/gallery/image/9349-emarentialoop

Claire if you're able to decifer all of this cycling lingo well done to you!

The crux is that you need to keep riding and for now it's more important that you find the quickest way that works for you to build up your confidence rather than find unnecessary barriers to enjoying the time on the bike and the obvious learning curve that comes from being on it more!

Having someone who knows how to give you some specific pointers to what you may be doing incorrectly is the quickest way to overcome the hurdles you may be facing and therefore it makes sense to have someone help you! Whether you are just riding in circles in your driveway or something more adventurous! Also cycling by its very nature is quite social and it makes sense to plug into a group of people that will accomodate you and your current skill set! We have safety in numbers when we're out riding. Nothing else comes close to the safety of riding in a group that keeps everyone together! Don't be scared to join, thinking you need to be a pro to join on some of the more social rides. We're a crazy bunch that frequent the site, but mostly if someone says they'll take the time to help you, they're being genuine and wont simply meet you somewhere and ride off, leaving you to fend for yourself!

Look forward to you posting about your progress! Welcome to the Hub!

err...I wouldn't say that....only about 1% of the dh world cup circuit ride flats

BUT...the OP must get rid of the cleats! basic set of flats and sommer running shoes to start with...no need to go all out with 510's or any of that malarky

point 2...lady hubbers thread...go join it ASAP

But how many people ride clipless at rampage and do any of the crazy trials riders ride clipless pedals? That was actually my point.

But how many people ride clipless at rampage and do any of the crazy trials riders ride clipless pedals? That was actually my point.

Ok rampage and tricks is different cos you got to get your feet out to do tricks..that said there were a few at rampage with cleats

And the relevance of this to the OP who is TRYING TO LEARN how to ride a bike is what?

Why confuse her by making a completely irrelevant point, no matter how right you may be. Swing your willy elsewhere.

To Claire, riding a bike is easy and fun. All it needs is a bit of confidence. Fitness will follow. I would really not worry about the type of pedals World Cup racers use, it is not applicable to you as you have already found out by the bad advice you were given to start on cleats

As posted on page 1, go and see Sean at the Trailhead and he will ensure you get going without further confusion.

Let us know how you get on.

ClaireT, find a wall that you can hold onto whilst seated on your bike. Practice cleating and uncleating, one foot at a time, until you feel comfortable with the action.

I'm in Centurion but will gladly take you for a very slow and easy ride to help you get used to the wonderful world of mtbing.

aww if you were in Cape town I would have taken you out for a few nice rides... 

welcome and enjoy just riding.. don't stress to much and just have fun!! 

:clap:

Claire,

Take his offer. Don't even think twice about it.

AND THEN go for a cappuccino at his coffee shop afterwards !!!

Hi Claire, I started reading this thread and pretty much knew exactly where it was headed. The "flat pedals for medals" boys were going to suggest a flat pedal/shoe combo that probably cost as much as what you paid for your bike... (Because it teaches you bike skils, efficient pedal stroke etc. Not saying they are wrong but it doesn't really apply here)

Not trying to convince you otherwise but this is my story... My wife has a low skill level and lacks confidence on the bike. She walks wooden bridges and doesn't like going downhill on single track. Her seat is too low but she like to be able to touch the ground when she stops without getting off the saddle. She's never going to ride the Epic or Joberg2C but is always in a good mood after she has had a fun ride.

She uses those plastic flat pedals that come with the lower end bikes coupled with a pair of running shoes. She doesn't have any ugly scars on her shins and calves from slipping a pedal on that gnarly drop off or from misjudging a tail whip...  :ph34r:

You need to ride to enjoy the ride. Start slow (Baby steps). Hit the jeep track and dirt paths with a normal set of pedals and running shoes. When the confidence on the bike builds and you are "into" the sport then look at dropping cash on flats (or switch back to your cleats)

If however somebody offers you a decent pair of flats take them but be careful.... those pins bite if things don't go according to plan!

The most important thing is to have fun while you ride  :thumbup:

Good Luck!

Riding a bike is FUN - even in the middle of Jhb along the Spruit.

Yes, it can be hard, even daunting sometimes, and you will fall (but that's OK).

We ALL FALL and most of us have fallen in the Spruit (some of us more than once...).

The Botanical Gardens are closest to you but Delta Park is probably the best place to learn, as there's more level ground and it's less crowded.  Park at the trailhead and follow the stream of mtbers along the river.

Hope you have lots of FUN riding -  GOOD LUCK!

AND THEN go for a cappuccino at his coffee shop afterwards !!!

Thanks guys. We do have the best coffee.

I think having a female mechanic sometimes helps the fairer sex feel a bit less intimidated.

I think we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves here and are going to scare her off with all this talk about riding different obstacles or going with the stream of riders down the Spruit.

The way I understand it, and I am happy to be corrected if I am wrong, is she needs to start from the very basics of how to actually just get on and start riding the bike.

And the relevance of this to the OP who is TRYING TO LEARN how to ride a bike is what?

Why confuse her by making a completely irrelevant point, no matter how right you may be. Swing your willy elsewhere.

Oh dear and now you've dragged me into an argument. MTB is about pushing ones personal limits. Please don't start debating the nature of MTB, I promise you everyone who gets on a bike wants to do it better every time they ride if that weren't the case we would never have persevered past our first scraped knee. For some its back-flipping a canyon for others its riding between two trees. Both of these individuals are pushing their limits. Both of them need to feel confident and anything that makes them feel less confident is a problem. Both of these riders benefit from pushing their technical ability. I really think you're misinterpreting my point. Efficiency means nothing without the requisite skill to make it useful. And frankly your point about my willy is a little childish.

edit:spelling

And now for my RANT!

Technical skills are worth developing for all riders. It makes the trail safer, more fun and frankly everyone benefits. If all we do is pretend that you can buy gear that will magically make you faster or safer - I'm looking at you 29ers and full sus riders we end up with a riding populace that someone feels that its the arrow and not the indian. This furthermore leads to rubbish dirt roadie events that lack really exciting singletrack. It leads to people straight lining sweeping flowy single track on the spruit (and everywhere else, but the spruit is particularly susceptible). It leads to people removing rocks and cutting roots that they think are too hard. It leads to people complaining that XC events are too technically demanding. It leads to people breaking down berms because they don't know how to corner. It leads to no one building anything interesting. It leads to untold destruction and general misery within the sport. IF YOU WANT ME TO SWING MY WILLY STAND BACK BECAUSE I SHALL SWING ITS MIGHTY RIGHTEOUSNESS AND SMOTE ALL WHO OPPOSE ME!

Have a nice day.

Oh dear and now you've dragged me into an argument. MTB is about pushing ones personal limits. Please don't start debating the nature of MTB, I promise you everyone who gets on a bike wants to do it better every time they ride if that weren't the case we would never have persevered past our first scraped knee. For some its back-flipping a canyon for others its riding between two trees. Both of these individuals are pushing their limits. Both of them need to feel confident and anything that makes them feel less confident is a problem. Both of these riders benefit from pushing their technical ability. I really think you're misinterpreting my point. Efficiency means nothing without the requisite skill to make it useful. And frankly your point about my willy is a little childish.

edit:spelling

And now for my RANT!

Technical skills are worth developing for all riders. It makes the trail safer, more fun and frankly everyone benefits. If all we do is pretend that you can buy gear that will magically make you faster or safer - I'm looking at you 29ers and full sus riders we end up with a riding populace that someone feels that its the arrow and not the indian. This furthermore leads to rubbish dirt roadie events that lack really exciting singletrack. It leads to people straight lining sweeping flowy single track on the spruit (and everywhere else, but the spruit is particularly susceptible). It leads to people removing rocks and cutting roots that they think are too hard. It leads to people complaining that XC events are too technically demanding. It leads to people breaking down berms because they don't know how to corner. It leads to no one building anything interesting. It leads to untold destruction and general misery within the sport. IF YOU WANT ME TO SWING MY WILLY STAND BACK BECAUSE I SHALL SWING ITS MIGHTY RIGHTEOUSNESS AND SMOTE ALL WHO OPPOSE ME!

Have a nice day.

And how does this help the OP who wants to START riding a bike ?

Archived