FAT BIKES on the beach - Legal?

Ian-Ross

FAT BIKES have made riding on the beach a reality, but is it legal?

Are there any restrictions / regulations? Especially interested in KZN.

Thanks

Edited by Ian-Ross

Thanks for the help, got a cheap type to experiment with, strange sensation riding across soft sand, almost surreal, will be fun in Rhodes in July (snow).

This is good fun, why aren't more people out on the beach on fatbikes, am I missing something? 

Is it necessary to have a very low tyre pressure? I have reduced pressure, which is good for soft sand (thumb soft), but sluggish on harder (e.g. current spring low) sand..

Did a four day trip from Blouberg to Langebaan. And not withstanding the weight, the possibility of punctures that I luckily didn't experience I found that the sand really buggers up your equipment. 

The sand sticks to everything and gets into places were it grinds away and causes damage. 

My experience with these bikes are really limited and I've noticed that sand, sand is a problem.

Did a four day trip from Blouberg to Langebaan. And not withstanding the weight, the possibility of punctures that I luckily didn't experience I found that the sand really buggers up your equipment.

The sand sticks to everything and gets into places were it grinds away and causes damage.

My experience with these bikes are really limited and I've noticed that sand, sand is a problem.

Yep, beach sand kills parts quickly, as does the salt in that sand.

I have ridden from Kosi Bay to Cape Vidal along the beach and also the Wild Coast ( Imana route). Used an old Giant 860ATX rather than my dual sus bike.

I was using partially worn drivetrain but the chain and rings were dead after 4 days. BB and freewheel died a few months after in spite of marine grease applied beforehand.

The salt gets in everywhere. We stripped and rebuilt our bikes with marine grease before and after but even so, lots of corrosion in the nooks and crannies a few months later. Remember salt will accelerate corrosion between different metals in contact so interfaces such as alu hubs and rims with steel spokes will corrode quickly. Also wheel bearings, BB, cables and quick releases and derailer pivots.

Riding on the beach is awesome but use an old bike and recycling your used components through this 'beach bike' can keep costs down.

• 2 weeks later...

I chatted to the Fatbike rental guys in Swakop. They use very little lube, and no wet lube. They dont wash their bikes off with water, they rather use a kompressor to blow the sand and salt off. I cant comment on the effectiveness of this, but their bikes was in good nick when we rode it. 

Yep, beach sand kills parts quickly, as does the salt in that sand.

I have ridden from Kosi Bay to Cape Vidal along the beach and also the Wild Coast ( Imana route). Used an old Giant 860ATX rather than my dual sus bike.

I was using partially worn drivetrain but the chain and rings were dead after 4 days. BB and freewheel died a few months after in spite of marine grease applied beforehand.

The salt gets in everywhere. We stripped and rebuilt our bikes with marine grease before and after but even so, lots of corrosion in the nooks and crannies a few months later. Remember salt will accelerate corrosion between different metals in contact so interfaces such as alu hubs and rims with steel spokes will corrode quickly. Also wheel bearings, BB, cables and quick releases and derailer pivots.

Riding on the beach is awesome but use an old bike and recycling your used components through this 'beach bike' can keep costs down.

I chatted to the Fatbike rental guys in Swakop. They use very little lube, and no wet lube. They dont wash their bikes off with water, they rather use a kompressor to blow the sand and salt off. I cant comment on the effectiveness of this, but their bikes was in good nick when we rode it.

When you ride the Wild Coast at any time other than the Imana event, most of the ferries are not operational at river crossings. We had to swim our bikes across at least two of the crossings so they were totally immersed in salt water.

Was glad I took an old bike - then had to do a strip and rebuild immediately after. Serious corrosion was already beginning after just a few days. If you can stay out of the water and waves it is much less severe but the sand is still very abrasive.

Ja folks who don't live by the sea and spend a lot of time on/around the ocean just don't realise how much salt Eats Everything. And in double quick time. Add beach sand to the equation and you've got about the most corrosive environment you could possibly wish to expose metal equipment to. Those of us who work/play on the sea soon develop an attitude that everything is disposable. Metal, wood, all electronics. Use them, enjoy them, but you'll soon have to toss them. No matter how diligent you are about maintenance. And washing stuff in simple soap & water aint going to help much. There are special anti-corrosive solvents you need to spray on to everything after a proper cleaning. Including all your electronics. So if you're going to ride your bike on the beach that's fine. But just go into it with your eyes open.

• 2 years later...

What did you do around Koeberg?

I'm keen to do this ride... any tips?

Assume that the bike will be totally screwed after a few months of consistent beach riding. Make sure it's a beater!!

No doubt you'll find someone with a badge, or worse, a LAMINATED badge that will quote something about something, sometimes right, sometimes wrong, and, being the person 'in charge' have right-of-say... So, like most security guards really... 

You can argue the point, but it's far easier to go and do whatever you wanted to do elsewhere. Annoying, but there it is.

Edited by lechatnoir

No doubt you'll find someone with a badge, or worse, a LAMINATED badge that will quote something about something, sometimes right, sometimes wrong, and, being the person 'in charge' have right-of-say... So, like most security guards really...

You can argue the point, but it's far easier to go and do whatever you wanted to do elsewhere. Annoying, but there it is.

WTF are you on about????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What did you do around Koeberg?

I'm keen to do this ride... any tips?

Good day 

We got back on the West Coast Road and cycled pass Koeberg and gained entry to the coast a few kilometers before Silverstroom. From hearsay I understand that this area is off limits to the public these days.

Before we set off on the trip we got permission from the Silverstroom and Ganzekraal kraal resort managers to thru-cycle. As well as the owners of the farm after Silverstroom (can't remember the farm name) where we had to make use of their farm road. The beach north of Grotto was nicely packed but permission was given to make use of the farm roads on the Rondeberg and Jakkalsfontein farms as well for soft sand did us in.    

That was 2 years ago. 

I understand that there is presently a company called West Coast Fat bike Adventures/ Tours (?) that organize trips. Try and contact them for info.

ah, got them!

http://www.weskusfatbike.co.za/ 

Good luck

Edited by No Hare