Attakwas 2016

Jeanpg

I think it compares well, except in the Epic you should be able to do 4 of them in a row and then there are the other days as well...

To relate it to Epic last year, Atta would have been the easiest stage by far...!

P.S - Done 2 x Epic's and 3 Atta's

Edited by AuctionLamb

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To relate it to Epic last year, Atta would have been the easiest stage by far...!

Nou maak jy my f@<<en bang!

Nou maak jy my f@<<en bang!

Van die Epic stages is nie so lank nie en so 300m minder klimme in, die probleem is dat die Epic stages se oppervlakte heeltyd soos die eerste 70km is.

I don't agree, The longest stage for us at Epic last year was just over 7 Hours and Atta took me just over 8 hours (not my best day) The thing is most Epic riders wouldnt have been in prime condition yet when doing the Atta. 

So, a question for those who know.

How does Attakwas compare to an Epic stage?

I've done 1 Epic - doing 2nd this year- and this was my 2nd Atta ( did 7hrs06). I doubt I will enter another Atta, too much pushing up hills, too much bike and body shuddering rough, unpleasant riding over kikuyu and rough terrain to make it enjoyable. I prefer the Epic!! 

Done 2 Atta's and no Epic so from personal opinion I cant say.  I did however caught up with some guys currently training for Epic and asked them how the race compares to Epic as I'm also doing my first Epic this year.  Was a bit relieved when the one guy in his 50's that's done a couple of Epic's said that, you can't do this every day, you will die. But that being said he said that you will find about 3 days in the Epic that you will have a 8 hour day on the saddle that could be compared to the Atta.

So for what its worth, its just what I heard from a 2x time Epic finisher.

If the Epic was a prologue and 7 Attas, it would not be sold out in minutes!!!

Don't make that mistake. Also remember that if you blow that much cash on a race you DO put the effort in and the Atta is a reminder of where you are lacking. Allowing you time to up the ante.

What happens in the Atta is people get swept up in the hype and go off too fast and pop. The Epic at least has a prologue  to get the seeding sorted. That also keeps you in "check" at the start. After day 3 you are always going at the correct pace no matter what everyone else does. Why, because your legs tell you to.

Well that is my experience after 3 E's and may Attas.

• 1 month later...

If the Epic was a prologue and 7 Attas, it would not be sold out in minutes!!!

After stages 1-3 of the Epic this year, and all the pushing I did, the Atta seems not so bad!! I am not a fan of Tulbagh and surrounds!

After stages 1-3 of the Epic this year, and all the pushing I did, the Atta seems not so bad!! I am not a fan of Tulbagh and surrounds!

At least with the Atta if you are fit enough and a technical skilled rider everything is ridable. Unrideable sand sections for kilometres or sections where even pro's need to portage a couple of times in a stage race should not be part of a route in my opinion. If I want to go epic in sand I would go ride on the beach.

I agree. What I loved about the Epic in 2014, was that it was incredibly tough, much tougher than anything I had done before. BUT, 99,9 % of it was rideable and I couldn't wait to enter it again.

This Epic has been an incredibly tough route, but a highly unpleasant one, with far too many unrideable sections.

I have no interest in paying a fortune to push my bike.

Any idiot can design a tough route, the trick is to make it a pleasure to ride at the same time.

The Epic has got it badly wrong this year, in my opinion.

Edited by Jocklaw

• 4 weeks later...

Good day guys...

So in about 9 months time mountain bikers will line up again for the 2017 Atta... and so will i. Jip, entered my first ever Attakwas (

and even though its still 9 months away i feel really nervous about this. 

Anyways, let the training begin and i will see you guys on 21 Jan 2017 on the start line.  :thumbup:

I agree. What I loved about the Epic in 2014, was that it was incredibly tough, much tougher than anything I had done before. BUT, 99,9 % of it was rideable and I couldn't wait to enter it again.

This Epic has been an incredibly tough route, but a highly unpleasant one, with far too many unrideable sections.

I have no interest in paying a fortune to push my bike.

Any idiot can design a tough route, the trick is to make it a pleasure to ride at the same time.

The Epic has got it badly wrong this year, in my opinion.

I'll be doing the poor mans version of the Epic this year.

912km of riding in 9 days

12 883m Ascent

14 321m descent.

Riding area = definately more scenic than Epic

Cost = Less than half what the Epic costs.

Pleasure factor = more than double than that of the Epic.

:whistling:  :D  :thumbup:

Good day guys...

So in about 9 months time mountain bikers will line up again for the 2017 Atta... and so will i. Jip, entered my first ever Attakwas (

and even though its still 9 months away i feel really nervous about this. 

Anyways, let the training begin and i will see you guys on 21 Jan 2017 on the start line.  :thumbup:

With 9 months training you should be able to do a comfortable Epic. More than enough time to start training. Good luck and see you there