what oil/lubricant on chain

Slowbee

Mampara' date=' which rock  n roll is it that you use? (on your chains) ?

[/quote']

The red but it is only for dry conditions. I got the blue for wet but still need to try it.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mampara' date=' which rock  n roll is it that you use? (on your chains) ?

[/quote']

The red but it is only for dry conditions. I got the blue for wet but still need to try it.

Excuse my ignorance, but can you tell me what to do if you put the dry one on, and it starts raining during the ride? Or if you get up in the morning, and it's raining, but you decide to ride anyway, do you have to clean the chain and put some other lubricant on? Risk damaging the chain with the incorrect lubricant? Do I need to get up an hour earlier now to overhaul the drivetrain before the ride?

Use parafien to clean your chain and gears.. Use a chaincleaner with parafien repeat it 2-3 times. rinse all with water at a reasonable pressure.

Apply white lightning while the chain is still wet. Leave for 5hours. Will not go black when used.

Ok, wait, then if it's dry the next day, must I put the dry stuff on? What if I get confused - ok, more confused - and ride the bike with the wrong flavour of lube on?

Excuse my ignorance' date=' but can you tell me what to do if you put the dry one on, and it starts raining during the ride? Or if you get up in the morning, and it's raining, but you decide to ride anyway, do you have to clean the chain and put some other lubricant on? Risk damaging the chain with the incorrect lubricant? Do I need to get up an hour earlier now to overhaul the drivetrain before the ride?
[/quote']

If it starts raining during a ride it's just too bad. If it rains before I ride, I don't ride. If it rained the night before and the course is wet you just quickly give the chain a wipe and add wet lube.

Chain lube is not a acid. So no it wont ruin your chain and if your going to ride in the wet its going to be dirty anyway......

But is it going to ruin my chain if I put the wrong one on?

Nope - as long as you don't use 3-in-1 or Castrol GTX.

If you put dry on when you need wet, you might get some chain suck or your

chain will start making a noise after a while and you will need to reapply on the

trail. I carry a small bottle of Squirt, anyway.

If you put on wet when you need dry you'll just pick up more dirt and will

need to clean your chain earlier.

What? Suck my chain? See? I knew something bad would happen... Use the wrong lube at the wrong time and you have to suck it off the chain or something... Which one tastes better then? The red or the blue?

bob_the_builder2008-05-05 06:23:05

Guest Big H

Use parafien to clean your chain and gears.. Use a chaincleaner with parafien repeat it 2-3 times. rinse all with water at a reasonable pressure.

Apply white lightning while the chain is still wet. Leave for 5hours. Will not go black when used.

Two thing you should never ever ever do is noted in this post.....

paraffin...... do not use it as minute traces of paraffin stays behind in your chain and this will dilliute your lubricant and change the viscosity of the lubricant rendering it useless.

Reasonable water pressure....... never ever ever use water that sprays with pressure near your bike. It WILL enter bearings and cost you a lot of money in the long run.

Rather wash your chain with a water soluble degreaser that is environmentally friendly. Paraffin should never be disposed into drain systems or disposed of in nature.

This posting is a very good example of advice given in good faith that is totally incorrect.

If its wet then you don't need lube because water is an excellent lubricator.  Just a small problem if it stops being wet.

Guest Big H
Big H .... Thumbs%20Up

hope the chinese arent giving you any more troubles ... Clown

如果他们给我麻烦我给他们地狱 ......... teee heeeee!!!!!!!!!

If its wet then you don't need lube because water is an excellent lubricator.  Just a small problem if it stops being wet.

Exactly... And then sucking the chain won't be a problem either. Which reminds me after a stage of a tour i rode, I overheard my one teammate telling someone to suck his chamois dry. Is that also to do with lubrication?

Two thing you should never ever ever do is noted in this post.....

paraffin...... do not use it as minute traces of paraffin stays behind in your chain and this will dilliute your lubricant and change the viscosity of the lubricant rendering it useless.

Reasonable water pressure....... never ever ever use water that sprays with pressure near your bike. It WILL enter bearings and cost you a lot of money in the long run.
MTB Online and most places say use paraffin:

http://www.mtbonline.co.za/info/mountain-bike-wash.htm

AFAIK, paraffin is OK, but is environmentally very unfriendly and can damage other

components (plastics, varnishes, ...).

The bit about water pressure is true, but no-one listens to it: ever noticed how many

bike washes after a MTB race clean bikes by hand gently and lovingly? The answer

is none: they all blast the hell out of the bike using high pressure hoses...

jmaccelari2008-05-05 07:16:15