what oil/lubricant on chain

Slowbee

High pressure is fine if you know where to point the thing !! High pressure with paraffin is even better .

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Big H

Two thing you should never ever ever do is noted in this post.....

paraffin...... do not use it as minute traces of paraffin stays behind in your chain and this will dilliute your lubricant and change the viscosity of the lubricant rendering it useless.

Reasonable water pressure....... never ever ever use water that sprays with pressure near your bike. It WILL enter bearings and cost you a lot of money in the long run.
MTB Online and most places say use paraffin:
http://www.mtbonline.co.za/info/mountain-bike-wash.htm

AFAIK' date=' paraffin is OK, but is environmentally very unfriendly and can damage other
components (plastics, varnishes, ...).

The bit about water pressure is true, but no-one listens to it: ever noticed how many
bike washes after a MTB race clean bikes by hand gently and lovingly? The answer
is none: they all blast the hell out of the bike using high pressure hoses...
[/quote']

Read the part highlighted in my posting above. What use is your lubricant if it does not do the work it was designed for. If you elect to use paraffin you have to wash the chain afterwards with something that will dissolve and remove the paraffin. Why then not wash the stuf with this something right form the beginning. Why pollute when you spray the paraffin under high pressure and remove all the grease from your vital bearings.

I confirmed the above from the Barnetts Cycling Manual on Cleaning Chains. The Barnetts Cycling Manual is a leading Manual for Bike Mechanics and not advice given by backyard amateur bike fiddlers.

Two thing you should never ever ever do is noted in this post.....

paraffin...... do not use it as minute traces of paraffin stays behind in your chain and this will dilliute your lubricant and change the viscosity of the lubricant rendering it useless.

Reasonable water pressure....... never ever ever use water that sprays with pressure near your bike. It WILL enter bearings and cost you a lot of money in the long run.

Read the part highlighted in my posting above. What use is your lubricant if it does not do the work it was designed for. If you elect to use paraffin you have to wash the chain afterwards with something that will dissolve and remove the paraffin. Why then not wash the stuf with this something right form the beginning. Why pollute when you spray the paraffin under high pressure and remove all the grease from your vital bearings.

I confirmed the above from the Barnetts Cycling Manual on Cleaning Chains. The Barnetts Cycling Manual is a leading Manual for Bike Mechanics and not advice given by backyard amateur bike fiddlers.

so you take advice from me at your own risk ... rather wait till I am a professional backyard bike fiddler .... fiddling with a big hammer, screwdriver and a 5L bottle of parafin/turps/petrol. Dead

No , no Slowbee you will never make it as a real backyard mechanic if you use stuff like turps and petrol . Turps gotta get the white bread treatmunt and petrol is way to expensive . Believe it or not but parafin has got a lot of lube properties . Diesel is the same but again it is more expensive than petrol now !

oh I see dirt rider .... so parafin it is ..... just keep it away from the plants - but okay to add colour to the lawn, tones of yellow (dying) brown (dead) and green (still to be covered) are viable !

Use parafien to clean your chain and gears.. Use a chaincleaner with parafien repeat it 2-3 times. rinse all with water at a reasonable pressure.

Apply white lightning while the chain is still wet. Leave for 5hours. Will not go black when used.

Have you been sleeping all this time? Didn't you notice that this thread has developed into something where we discussed NOT using paraffin and other bad solvents for chain cleaning?

Whilst I have you on the line....what do you do with your old paraffin?

AFAIK' date=' paraffin is OK, but is environmentally very unfriendly and can damage other
components (plastics, varnishes, ...).

[/quote']

No, paraffin is not OK. You don't know very far or haven't bothered to read the thread properly.

Finally, there's nothing on a bike I know that can be damaged by paraffin other than a leather saddle perhaps, but that has NOTHING to do with why you shouldn't routinely clean your bike with solvents.

I AM A FRIKKIN' AMATEUR BACKYARD FIDDLER. LET ME USE PARAFFIN IF I

WANT TO - I promise to avoid the lacquer thinners, though. Wink

BTW, I don't use paraffin 'cos it's nasty stuff - I use clean green.