what oil/lubricant on chain

Slowbee

I've use White Lightning for years and it certainly does the job, but you still need to clean the chain regularly.  I've recently switch to Rock n Roll, man what a difference.  Low maintenance, cleans like a bomb and lasts really well even in wet weather.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Big H
There is only one sure-fire way to keep your chain clean!

There's no way I'll strip a chain down like that to clean it. I'd rather buy a new chain every week Dead

Typical of the humour we have come to know of Sheldon Brown (RIP). Even moere funny is the dislcaimers further down the page in the use of the cleaning equipment. Teeeee heeeeee. Who remembers the carbon fibre credit cards for the maargat weight weenies........with holes drilled into them to make them even more lighter!!!!!!!!

Have a look at this link' date=' local Swiss bike shop has done all the testing in their specialy built "petrus ketang oil" test rig. The PDF has the results of various popular chain lubes.

Sorry its all in Duetsch but the results are easy to understand.

Oh yes and if your into wet weather riding gear they have a special test rig for that as well...

[/quote']

I must say I'm impressed that the sentiment of chain lubrication is shared around the world.

How do you dispose of the products mentioned here safely?  In my family we've been throwing dirty petrol and thinners down the drain for ages. I mean it's not like you're throwing away liters at a time.  Normally I would only use a little petrol to clean something.

I've found Agip Engine cleaner to work very well for cleaning dirty car parts.  Just be careful, my hands are normally rimpled for a week after working with this stuff.  The soapy types aren't as strong and I've been frustrated by using it and decided never to buy it again.  If you want really strong stuff try Wynn's Carburetor Cleaner.  This will take of any stain and remove everything that is not metal from your chain.  It might not work on gravel so you'll have to rinse it off afterwards.

The last time I disposed of engine cleaner in the drain it was still there after two days floating on the water.  I think it eventually evaporated.  Fortunately no one in my family smokes.  Seriously how are you supposed to dipose of this stuff in a proper way?  If you throw it in your garden your plants die.  My mom used to rinse out her spray can directly over the drain after she had poisoned the ants or the lice on her plants.

Someone once told me that they wash of their workshop floor at the end of a day with a hosepipe (the water goes directly into the sewerage system).  They have a welding shop, but at that stage was overhauling an engine and oil spilled on the floor.

Considering what only my family does it's no wonder that most of my colleagues buy drinking water these days.  Well of course the Delmas guys buy water for other reasons.

Considering what only my family does it's no wonder that most of my colleagues buy drinking water these days.  Well of course the Delmas guys buy water for other reasons.

You bastard. So it's your fault. Wink

Cut cut cut.....

How do you dispose of the products mentioned here safely?  In my family we've been throwing dirty petrol and thinners down the drain for ages. I mean it's not like you're throwing away liters at a time.  Normally I would only use a little petrol to clean something.

cut cut cut

I am appalled by what I read here. However, I am not surprised that this is a wide-spread practice and I suspect half the cycling fraternity who still cleans chains with petro-solvents do exactly what you confessed to doing.

As I've said before, don't use solvents. There are strong enough soaps out there that cost just a little bit more than petrol but are benign enough to pour out on your lawn without any ill effect.

I find it hypocritical that half the world drives around with the proverbial Save the Whale bumper sticker yet pout petrol down drains. Are these the same people who point fingers at SAA when they pour jet fuel into a wetland or trigger chain-mail against Exxon and the like?

Being responsible means more than buying dolphin-friendly tuna. It starts in your back yard right there at your drail gulley.

I am appalled by what I read here. However' date=' I am not surprised that this is a wide-spread practice and I suspect half the cycling fraternity who still cleans chains with petro-solvents do exactly what you confessed to doing.

As I've said before, don't use solvents. There are strong enough soaps out there that cost just a little bit more than petrol but are benign enough to pour out on your lawn without any ill effect.

I find it hypocritical that half the world drives around with the proverbial Save the Whale bumper sticker yet pout petrol down drains. Are these the same people who point fingers at SAA when they pour jet fuel into a wetland or trigger chain-mail against Exxon and the like?

Being responsible means more than buying dolphin-friendly tuna. It starts in your back yard right there at your drail gulley.

[/quote']

Well Johan, When Eveready says it is safe to dispose of their batteries the normal way then who do you listen to these day?

With respect to solvents etc, find out if there is a depot in your area where you can drop it off and let the guys who know what they're doing dispose of it. I enquired at the refinery and they gave me a name of a depot not too far from where i live. I take all my unwanted old oil and paraffin to them to dispose of. 

Well Johan' date=' When Eveready says it is safe to dispose of their batteries the normal way then who do you listen to these day?

[/quote']

I don't get your point. Perhaps you want to rephrase it.

With respect to solvents etc' date=' find out if there is a depot in your area where you can drop it off and let the guys who know what they're doing dispose of it. I enquired at the refinery and they gave me a name of a depot not too far from where i live. I take all my unwanted old oil and paraffin to them to dispose of. [/quote']

For disposal of hydrocarbons, call The Rose Foundation.

Here is their website   http://www.rosefoundation.org.za/

Disposing of hydrocarbons down the drain is not very good practice. Ya sure you only pour 0.5L down the drain but if 100 people in your area pout that into the ground water per day I tall adds up and results in pollution of our wetlands. Bad bad practice.

Most of the "soapy" solvents you can buy over the counter are just Paraffin thats been cut back with water and has a Soap in it. Soap does not degrease. Only a hydrocarbon or refrigerant actually degreases anything.

So ebe if you buy finishline or muck off or whatever, there is still Paraffin in there. The concentration is just lower. even that stuff should be captured in a container and disposed of properly.

Bio degradable cleaner use Citric acid as the active agent. These are pricey and just as aggressive. These can be disposed off down teh drain because they dissolve in water when the concentration is low. Hydrocarbon never dissolve in water.

Off the rosefoundation website:

"PLEASE NOTE: We do not collect used oil that has been polluted with

solvents, cleaning fluids, or other hazardous wastes. Authorised waste

management companies need to handle these disposals."

So are we back to square one then?

Also, when you click on the "waste exchange" link, it takes you to the City of Cape Town website... Are they trying to tell us something? Dump your used oils in Cape Town?