what oil/lubricant on chain

Slowbee

I am appalled by what I read here. However' date=' I am not surprised that this is a wide-spread practice and I suspect half the cycling fraternity who still cleans chains with petro-solvents do exactly what you confessed to doing.

[/quote']

Johann you make me feel very ashamed of myself.

Like I said I don?t pour liters of hazardous stuff down the drain ? only a few drops here and there when rinsing a paint brush that had been cleaned under a tap or so.  And there was the one time when I let the engine cleaner down the drain.  All the other times I diluted it with water and poured it over my lawn.  I don?t know what was wrong with my head that time.  I let my old engine oil go out with the trash (hope that?s not bad too)  I?ll find out if there?s a depot nearby.

The point I was trying to make however is that many people like myself dispose of stuff recklessly and are not even aware that they are doing something wrong.  What you and other people have mentioned in this topic made me much more aware of the fact and I fully agree with you that conservation should start in our back yards.

I don?t think enough is done to educate people in this respect however.  I believe I?m on the right way now.  I had enough guts to admit guilt and from now on will take care to be a responsible citizen and never trespass again.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ClapThumbs%20Up Well done eliminator. You are right about education though, that applies to almost everything in life let alone correct disposal methods...

Off the rosefoundation website:

"PLEASE NOTE: We do not collect used oil that has been polluted with

solvents' date=' cleaning fluids, or other hazardous wastes. Authorised waste

management companies need to handle these disposals."

So are we back to square one then?

[/quote']

Can JB or Lefty comment please... I am wanting to do as they suggest with solvents and such, but I do not understand the contradictory advice.

Have a look at this link' date=' local Swiss bike shop has done all the testing in their specialy built "petrus ketang oil" test rig. The PDF has the results of various popular chain lubes.

Sorry its all in Duetsch but the results are easy to understand.

Oh yes and if your into wet weather riding gear they have a special test rig for that as well...

[/quote']

I must say I'm impressed that the sentiment of chain lubrication is shared around the world.

How do you dispose of the products mentioned here safely? ....

Leeeeet meeee tell you something, you guys got it easy there in SA.

Just try and wash your bike (never mind clean the chain...Shocked) here at home or in the garden, garage, street or anywhere other than a designated washing bay (i.e a car wash where you have to pay).

The local spy will report you and probably write you sh*tty note telling you how inconsiderate and stupid you are for washing your bike in an unapproved spot. And once they catch u in the act then your really going to be under 24 hr surveilance.. big brother type!

Once or twice I even considered washing my mtb in the shower Ouch out of desperation.

SwissVan2008-04-24 08:33:44

Off the rosefoundation website:
"PLEASE NOTE: We do not collect used oil that has been polluted with solvents' date=' cleaning fluids, or other hazardous wastes. Authorised waste management companies need to handle these disposals."

So are we back to square one then?
[/quote']

Can JB or Lefty comment please... I am wanting to do as they suggest with solvents and such, but I do not understand the contradictory advice.

I posted the Rose Foundation's website in response to the comment about dumping oil. It is now even more pertinent since it is clear that some people put old oil in the trash.

As for disposing of solvents....I dont know where you can take the stuff. I simply don't generate contaminated solvents in quantities I can't burn off in a tin can. I decant and filter until the solids solidify and dry by evaporation.

All of us use solvents - turpentine, thinners, paraffin. One shouldn't have to even dispose of contaminated petrol or diesel.

Small quantities of oil, diluted with soapy water gets eaten by bacteria. By small quantities I'm talking of a bit of Prepsol that was used to clean an oily chain.

As for the comment that soapy solvents contain parfaffin. I doubt my brand does. I wash the dishes with it as well as chains and several observations tel me there's no paraffin in there.

1) No evidence of oil on top of the water.

2) No smell

3) No taste of paraffin.

However, I'll phone Allijam tomorrow (they don't answer their phone anymore, gone home) and ask what's in Prepsol. If I don't get a satisfactory answer, I'll find a spectroscope and we'll soon see.

The Rose Foundation's patrons are the cement kiln companies who burn the old oil - very, very little oil gets re-refined in ZA. I can't see why they won't want to burn the households solvents we produce, other than it is a hazard to store and transport.

But back to square one (pouring stuff down the drain), we aint.

Guest Big H

Have a look at this link' date=' local Swiss bike shop has done all the testing in their specialy built "petrus ketang oil" test rig. The PDF has the results of various popular chain lubes.

Sorry its all in Duetsch but the results are easy to understand.

Oh yes and if your into wet weather riding gear they have a special test rig for that as well...

[/quote']

I must say I'm impressed that the sentiment of chain lubrication is shared around the world.

How do you dispose of the products mentioned here safely? ....

Leeeeet meeee tell you something, you guys got it easy there in SA.

Just try and wash your bike (never mind clean the chain...Shocked) here at home or in the garden, garage, street or anywhere other than a designated washing bay (i.e a car wash where you have to pay).

The local spy will report you and probably write you sh*tty note telling you how inconsiderate and stupid you are for washing your bike in an unapproved spot. And once they catch u in the act then your really going to be under 24 hr surveilance.. big brother type!

Once or twice I even considered washing my mtb in the shower Ouch out of desperation.

While I was in Tanzania a few years back I washed my MTB in the bath many times. The telephone shower works well and does not sparay so hard that the BB and headset bearings can get contaminated with water.

The downside was that the drains in the single quarters got blocked with silt. I just kept quiet and the artisans (welders and boilermakers doing a rehab of the sugar mill) got blamed!!!!! Teeee heeee!!!!!!!

Also' date=' when you click on the "waste exchange" link, it takes you to the City of Cape Town website... Are they trying to tell us something? Dump your used oils in Cape Town? [/quote']

I haven't followed that link but I suspect that the City of Cape Town also has an oil disposal tank at their dump site. These were inspired by the Rose Foundation. If you go to the dump site you'll find a nifty steel container there with a special type of drip tray thing where you can just invert your cans whilst you go browse the dump for discarded bicycles and other good stuff.

so what is the conclusion? i hate sh*t that turns my chain black. i use "dirtwash citrus degreaser spray" and "xtreme wet active chain lube". works fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the "soapy" solvents you can buy over the counter are just Paraffin thats been cut back with water and has a Soap in it. Soap does not degrease. Only a hydrocarbon or refrigerant actually degreases anything.

As promised, I phoned the manufacturers of Prepsol and asked whether their product contains any hydrocarbons. The answer was an emphatic NO.

They promised to fax me a spec sheet but I haven't received it yet.

Therefore, you can safely degrease with Prepsol (and I suspect Clean Green as well) and chuck it on your lawn with no ill effect to man or beast.

Thats what they say !!! Spilled some used Clean Green onto my weed and it tastes like old oil now !

Okay, so I used Rock 'n Roll's very expensive red chain lube. And after the ride when it was time to clean the bike, the chain, casette and blades were quite clean and only used my normal carwash shampoo and and a brush and everything was nice and sparkly again.

Hi Guys

The chain on the old bike always went black after I put some white lightening on it.

Is this normal to do it?

On the new bike (hope you all seen the pics of the Ciocc)' date=' the chain is nice and shiny and I want to KEEP it that way?

Is it just a case of cleaning all the time or is the lubricant also important ?

[/quote']

Chains normally do go "black". This is dirt being ground into the lube and is why you

need to clean your chain - it acts as a grinding paste after a while.

You need to clean & lube regularly (lube more often than clean, normally). A good

quality lube is imperative - and use a lube - not an oil!!!

I use a Pedros chain cleaning widget. Park & BBB also sell them. It hooks onto

the rear derailleur and you fill it with cleaning agent (purists look away: I use Clean

Green). I then hand scrub with an old dish washing brush (you can use your current

one as long as you clean it before putting it back and your misses doesn't see you).

Make sure you scrub the chain ring and cassette nice and clean.

Once nice and shiny, I then dry and lube. I normally use a dry lube, unless conditions

dictate.

I use powerlinks on all my bikes, so the chain is easy to remove, but I prefer to

clean on the bike...

jmaccelari2008-05-05 05:51:39