what oil/lubricant on chain

Slowbee

Don't forget to give your jockey wheel a wipe when you clean your chain. That's where the black stuff that isn't on your chain sits.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Slowbee, the 10 spd link will work. I am using one on a Campagnolo chorus chain and cassette at the moment.

Mampara' date='

Connex link for 10 speeds.  Good LBS's have them.

Regards,

casspir

[/quote']

Then I will need to get me some.

BTW, It's only Sram that makes Powerlinks. Connex ones are called Connex Links.

Yes and the 10 speed Sram Powerlinks are one use only, i.e. once they are fastened they cannot be reopened. The Connex link can be used over and over.

Some important tips

white lightening is a lube that is designed to "shed" the dirt.  Put on wait wipe go.

I really tried hard not to get involved in this thread. Even the dipstick comment couldn't make me put pen to paper, but this!

Phuleeeze.

How does White Whatever "Shed" dirt. I understand how a dog sheds hair. I even the euphemism of a "shedload of this or that" but shed dirt?

How?

If you put the stuff on a dirty chain, can you see the dirt falling off?

If you put it on a clean chain and ride over some dirt and immediately stop, can you see the dirt being chucked off the chain by the White Stuff?

Or does the dirt get "Shed" at night when you sleep? This is quite easy to test, since you should have a line of shedded (what's the past tense of shed, somebody?) dirt on the floor under the chain? Surely this would keep you awake at night, the noise and all?

Can anyone send me a sample of this dirt-shedding stuff? I'd like to perform a controlled experiment and report back to the group.

OK, back to diesel, paraffin and other eco-bad solvents. Don't use solvents on your chain because you don't have a proper way of disposing of dirty diesel/paraffin/petrol. Please use a soap-based degreaser that doesn't harm the environment.

Yes and the 10 speed Sram Powerlinks are one use only' date=' i.e. once they are fastened they cannot be reopened. The Connex link can be used over and over.

[/quote']

also heard this - why would you use one then if you cant open / re-close it?

(my chains have them on by the way,  but the reason they are there is to open / close them when i want to clean the chain &  obviously I have not done this yet...)

Guest Big H

Squirt Road or MTB ..... whichever dicipline you do. It work for your Dandruff as well. Never used it for pimples!!!!!!!!

How does White Whatever "Shed" dirt. I understand how a dog sheds hair. I even the euphemism of a "shedload of this or that" but shed dirt?

How?

Ok, JB, can you explain how eksdom can loadshed?

Some important tips

white lightening is a lube that is designed to "shed" the dirt.  Put on wait wipe go.

OK' date=' back to diesel, paraffin and other eco-bad solvents. Don't use solvents on your chain because you don't have a proper way of disposing of dirty diesel/paraffin/petrol. Please use a soap-based degreaser that doesn't harm the environment.

[/quote']

Shocked i dispose of stuff correctly, especially hazardous (smelly) material !! Wink

past career makes me a tree hugger type ...

JB, in a few weeks will be doing one of your bike courses. Hope you have lotsa time for lotsa questions ... Smile

Oh' date=' and I seriously suggest putting a power link on your chain. That way you can quickly take the chain off, put it in a glass bottle of degreaser, and wash it properly.[/quote']

Please show me a 10spd powerlink.

That would be the Black one. Silver is 8speed, Gold is 9 speed and Black is 10speed.

Connex 10s Quiklink is also pretty good.

Oh' date=' and I seriously suggest putting a power link on your chain. That way you can quickly take the chain off, put it in a glass bottle of degreaser, and wash it properly.[/quote']

Doesn't it work in a plastic bottle?

No, after a while the plastic gets scratched and then you cant see how pretty your chain looks indegreaser!!!

Have a look at this link, local Swiss bike shop has done all the testing in their specialy built "petrus ketang oil" test rig. The PDF has the results of various popular chain lubes.

Sorry its all in Duetsch but the results are easy to understand.

Oh yes and if your into wet weather riding gear they have a special test rig for that as well...

Guest Big H

Yes and the 10 speed Sram Powerlinks are one use only' date=' i.e. once they are fastened they cannot be reopened. The Connex link can be used over and over.

[/quote']

also heard this - why would you use one then if you cant open / re-close it?

(my chains have them on by the way,  but the reason they are there is to open / close them when i want to clean the chain &  obviously I have not done this yet...)

I only use my clamshell cleaner from BBB and Sunlight Liquid to clean chains. It works and it cleans the chain properly without the schlepp of removing the chain.

http://www.bbbparts.com/products/accessories/tools/images/brightnfresh.jpg

BTL-21 Bright & Fresh

? Modern chain-cleaning tool, for the best result within minutes. No chain de-assembly needed.

? Smooth chainguide mechanism inside.

? Made of nylon plastic with replaceable brushes.