what oil/lubricant on chain

Slowbee

I have to admit that this is a sensitive topic. Some will say that the wax type lubricants aren't really lubricants, and with this i do agree. So I once tried putting some Castrol GTX, (left overs from my cars oil supply) I only put a little bit on and went for a ride the next day. I found so much grit and cr@p stuck to my chain that i will never go this route again. I think the other "lubes" are better because there is nothing worse than this grinding paste in your chain. That wears it out quicker than an under lubed chain I'm sure....  

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some important tips

white lightening is a lube that is designed to "shed" the dirt.  Put on wait wipe go.

I really tried hard not to get involved in this thread. Even the dipstick comment couldn't make me put pen to paper' date=' but this!

Phuleeeze.

How does White Whatever "Shed" dirt. I understand how a dog sheds hair. I even the euphemism of a "shedload of this or that" but shed dirt?

How?

If you put the stuff on a dirty chain, can you see the dirt falling off?

If you put it on a clean chain and ride over some dirt and immediately stop, can you see the dirt being chucked off the chain by the White Stuff?

Or does the dirt get "Shed" at night when you sleep? This is quite easy to test, since you should have a line of shedded (what's the past tense of shed, somebody?) dirt on the floor under the chain? Surely this would keep you awake at night, the noise and all?

Can anyone send me a sample of this dirt-shedding stuff? I'd like to perform a controlled experiment and report back to the group.

OK, back to diesel, paraffin and other eco-bad solvents. Don't use solvents on your chain because you don't have a proper way of disposing of dirty diesel/paraffin/petrol. Please use a soap-based degreaser that doesn't harm the environment.

[/quote']

good point  re the disposal of hydrocarbon's contaminated with solids.

If you have a diesel generator then you can dispose of the diesel in the fuel tank after filtering through a paper filter. The type used for makign filter coffee is fine.

Same with petrol or Paraffin.

I reuse paraffin after filtering and never mix it with other fuels. This lowers flash point and it becomes a safety issue.

I burn the paraffin in a Prius Camping stove, the diesel in a genny. I never use petrol. That stuff is just too dangerous to leave layign about. It's more damgerous than TNT since it has a high Calorific value per Kg.

I burn the paraffin in a Prius Camping stove' date=' the diesel in a genny. I never use petrol. That stuff is just too dangerous to leave layign about. It's more damgerous than TNT since it has a high Calorific value per Kg.
[/quote']

see its cause you use the wrong stove rather use the MSR XGK-EX, although calorific content of petrol aside, it does make the pasta taste funny

I never use petrol. That stuff is just too dangerous to leave layign about. It's more damgerous than TNT since it has a high Calorific value per Kg.

So... ah... a couple of cans of petrol in the wendy house is a ... bad... idea?

I never use petrol. That stuff is just too dangerous to leave layign about. It's more damgerous than TNT since it has a high Calorific value per Kg.

Confused thats what i got in the store at the bottom of the garden..together with thinners, turps and some other funny looking paint type canisters ..

Confused thats what i got in the store at the bottom of the garden..together with thinners' date=' turps and some other funny looking paint type canisters ..
[/quote']

Isn't that what you would call the "granny flat" for your mother-in-law?

Confused thats what i got in the store at the bottom of the garden..together with thinners' date=' turps and some other funny looking paint type canisters ..
[/quote']

Exactly... I left out the other stuff I keep i there cause then I'd really be in trouble...

Right! The nuclear waste staysBig%20smile

can you send some to me pls ??

I need a day glo bike

Some important tips

white lightening is a lube that is designed to "shed" the dirt.  Put on wait wipe go.

I really tried hard not to get involved in this thread. Even the dipstick comment couldn't make me put pen to paper' date=' but this!

Phuleeeze.

How does White Whatever "Shed" dirt. I understand how a dog sheds hair. I even the euphemism of a "shedload of this or that" but shed dirt?

How?

If you put the stuff on a dirty chain, can you see the dirt falling off?

If you put it on a clean chain and ride over some dirt and immediately stop, can you see the dirt being chucked off the chain by the White Stuff?

Or does the dirt get "Shed" at night when you sleep? This is quite easy to test, since you should have a line of shedded (what's the past tense of shed, somebody?) dirt on the floor under the chain? Surely this would keep you awake at night, the noise and all?

Can anyone send me a sample of this dirt-shedding stuff? I'd like to perform a controlled experiment and report back to the group.

OK, back to diesel, paraffin and other eco-bad solvents. Don't use solvents on your chain because you don't have a proper way of disposing of dirty diesel/paraffin/petrol. Please use a soap-based degreaser that doesn't harm the environment.

[/quote']

okay as a dipstick making the comment, white lightening sells itself as a chain cleaner/ lube all in one.  Many people therefore put it on and leave it, never to be wiped off.  (unless chain tattoos count).

I think it is important to read instructions on the bottle.