RACE PACKS! What gear and gadgets do you really want in your next one?

mikeonthetown

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am running out of water bottles as I haven't done the argus in more than 2 years.

How many people do you see at races with the Hollard Water bottles, its been great advertising for them over more than just a few races.

love the mini lubes as they fit so perfectly into my camelbak

I like socks, they are something you need quite a few of. 

A nice race branded key ring would be nice.  We got a bottle opener one as a Medal at one of the Nav challenges, love it.

A personalized picking option when entering race on line

A) std goodie bag

B) select from a "basket " stuff I actually want choose 5 out of 10 items

C) discount of the goodie bag that normally gets given to someone else

D) as said above discount to the next race

End of the day if the all the posts above are anything to go on,,,most want different goodies, therefore chances of you getting something you don't want/need are pretty good unless you choose,

Generally the goodie bags you get are filled with crap thats about to expire, as well as a whole lot of paper rubbish that whatever sponsor is too lazy to take to nampak recycling themselves so they essentially "shed the load" on all the riders.

Rather give us the following useful things:

• GOOD quality water bottles
  • Plugs & bombs
  • Discount voucher on the next event (DONT markup 50% first and discount 10%)
  • Race shirt like what you get at 3 Towers??
  • Small decent Kitbag with a zip, not a stupid little string bag which we already have 100's of.

They are marketing people, let them be a bit innovative.

can't say that anything in a racepack ever made me go "WHOOAAH!".  And please refrain from the future life sachets...

best ones to date were the the more expensive items on the expensive races.  Examples are jackets and riding shirts from Sani2C and maybe riding glasses from the Jock Tour.

However, with any one of these items mentioned retailing for way more than R1000, it's not really a "gift" and there's no way that you don't "pay" for it at that price.  Also, none of this can be provided for a one-day event.  Even on multi day races it becomes an issue if you get the same stuff every year.

Maybe something like a headlamp, plugs, funnel for bleeding brakes, and some generic eats, maybe something like a bar-one, game sachets, a snacker, jellie sweets etc.  Not a fan of hardcore "nutrition" products like protein bars or stuff that i'd rather use for window putty.

One of the best goodie bag's I've received is the Kremertart. I also find a number of smaller races have better stuff for riders, with the Sedhaven race this year, riders received wind breakers.

Having said that, I wont say no to instead of goodie bag stuff, I get a voucher for a beer/coldrink and boerrie roll. 

I think a Race T-Shirt or Cap especially nice if it is a big event.

From there we have to split the types of packs...

Small packs for your R200 to +- R300 entry fee.

Medium packs for Expensive events R300 - R1000

Large Pack for short multi stage events. (2 day etc) (R1500+)

XL Pack for the big ones like the epic etc. (R10000+++)

You also need to consider if you pay R200 for an entry - you lucky to get anything really. Your medal (if applicable) and a cold beverage at the end is usually already the "extra" cash in your entry after overheads.

I don't mind the other stuff but expired items are a slap in the face. They can find another use for it rather than dump their bio-hazard on us.

I must admit - the ice cold wet towel/facecloth at 94.7 MTB was awesome. I just wish they did it for the Road event also. Was a bit disappointing not getting one after the mtb event.

Also some races can really better their hydration stations rather than give goodie bags...

Guest notmyname

I want to go to Worlds, apparently you get epipens and blood analyzers in their goodie bags! WOWZERS!!!

Be sure to leave them in the capable hands of your doctor. Contravening this guideline forces you to revisit your creative writing and acting course material.

Why not have the option when you enter, X with goodie bag, X less a few rands without... Have definitely entered races before where I've had the option of a t-shirt etc. I personally would just pay for the race, and then if I saw something decent at a sponsors stand at the event, I'd buy it there.

See what you did there  :ph34r:

1. Bombs
  2. small 1st aid kit (plasters, tape, disinfectant, cotton. all small and squishable)
  3. small bike aid kit (cable ties, rubber band, glueless patches, small insulation tape, allen keys, lube etc)
  4. Non-crap socks. amazing.

a chain link would be sweet but then there's the 8/9/10/11speed problem so wont work. 

See what you did there  :ph34r:

1. Bombs
  2. small 1st aid kit (plasters, tape, disinfectant, cotton. all small and squishable)
  3. small bike aid kit (cable ties, rubber band, glueless patches, small insulation tape, allen keys, lube etc)
  4. Non-crap socks. amazing.

a chain link would be sweet but then there's the 8/9/10/11speed problem so wont work. 

Whats 8/9 speed?

Archived