Review: Giant Reign Advanced 27.5 1

Iwan Kemp

Absolutely.  No disputing that.  To replace my bike now would also be a 30% jump over two years, which is ridiculous - and that is purely exchange rate driven since RRP hasn't changed.

Joke is, the actual point of my post initially was that bike prices are ridiculous.  In all countries and currencies.  It's a joke.  At least there seems to be some concensus on that.

2nd hand is the future.  Of this I am becoming more and more convinced. 

I know what you are saying, and having riding that wave now for many a years!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How does the new Reign compare to the Santa Cruz 27.5 Bronson (2015) much the same price range with the SCB being about 15K more,  

The Reign and the Nomad are comparable. Bronson is more of a Trance. Its a so-called "trail-bike" while the Reign and Nomad are "#enduro" ie more like downhill bikes and less like XC bikes. R15k is a massive difference in my book...

Huh? Since when is a R15k price difference in "the same price range"?!

Same DOLLAR price range...haha haha haha. 

How does the Reign compare to the Santa Cruz Bronson cc?

Bigger, more capable and slacker. Proper comparison (as said before) would be the trance and bronson or reign and nomad.In easy speak: bronson is a heavy hitting trail bike but is more comfortable on manicured trails. Reign is a mini dh bike that can punch manicured trail in the face, but is more comfortable on fast technical big hitting stuff.

Edited by Myles Mayhew

As a proud owner of a Reign 2, i honestly promise, to keep it all day safe, i will service it,i will always look after it, and clean after each (dirty) ride, by my self.

BUT ... i will ride it, like it is the last time i will be able to do so, i will not stop for obstacles that others tackled before, or chose a chicken line. I will ride witch ever trail has been build, regardless of grading, or i will try and try again, till i can.

I own this bike since March 2015, it only went on a tared road once, that was the Cradle Loop, @ Van Gaalen the odd gravel road's, to get from one trail, to another.

Every other kilometer, has been done on various trails around Gauteng.

Thaba Trails, Heia Safari, Hakahana, Red Barn, Kings Kloof, Hobby Park, Northern Farms, Klapperkop, Groenkloof .... i may forgott one ot two :blush:

2600km, 180h, 35 460m elevation gain and 80 rides all together, and i am still smiling every second i am on it.

For me personally, it is the perfect .... do it all ... bike.

Up or down it does it all, and it only stops, if i am running out of talent.

I bought it for R34 000, i could not spend my money better.

What have i changed?

Handlebar = i needed more back sweep

Brakes      = personal choice, may not rely necessary

Saddle      = just could not do a longer ride than 2 hours on it

Shimano clipless trail paddles and a Tubeless conversion.

As the little Advanced brother, it should count as mini review, for it ????

Edited by NicNacDH

How does the Reign compare to the Santa Cruz Bronson cc?

They don't.  One is a 911 GT 3 RS, the other is a Mahindra.

Giant Reign Advanced 27.5 1 $5,200. (http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/reign.advanced.27.5.1/22208/84051/)

SC Bronson CC XT build $6.399 (http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en/us/bronson)

HOWEVER

SC Nomad C S (SRAM GX build) $5,199 (http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en/us/nomad)

So, much of the same really, in $ speak.

But let's be honest now.  Nomad or Reign.  Nomad? Or NOMAD!

They don't.  One is a 911 GT 3 RS, the other is a Mahindra.

Bahahahahahahaha! Jeepers. You're really grumpy today, aren't you? Mahindra? Really? More accurately would be audi quattro and lancia delta integrale

But let's be honest now.  Nomad or Reign.  Nomad? Or NOMAD!

Except their sizing is whack. Was sized just as new world geo was getting a foothold. Large reign is the same as their XL. It's a very good comparison though.

Bahahahahahahaha! Jeepers. You're really grumpy today, aren't you? Mahindra? Really? More accurately would be audi quattro and lancia delta integrale

Not grumpy at all.  I am being dead serious, albeit a bit extreme to illustrate the point.  Nothing wrong with a Mahindra, but seriously.  Nomad's not in a different league, it's playing a different sport.

And if the pricing hadn't jumped so insanely, I'd have picked the Mahindra because it would be much better bang for buck at R49k.  But alas.

*Starts looking for well priced 2nd hand 911's* *Finds none* *Goes and rides his current bike, realises it's all bullsh1t hype and gets on with his life*

Not grumpy at all.  I am being dead serious, albeit a bit extreme to illustrate the point.  Nothing wrong with a Mahindra, but seriously.  Nomad's not in a different league, it's playing a different sport.

And if the pricing hadn't jumped so insanely, I'd have picked the Mahindra because it would be much better bang for buck at R49k.  But alas.

*Starts looking for well priced 2nd hand 911's* *Finds none* *Goes and rides his current bike, realises it's all bullsh1t hype and gets on with his life*

Honestly interested now. How are the 2 playing different sports? Seems you're buying into the SC hype now...

As for the dollar price, no relevance here in our market. Dragons only brings in framesets on the SC stuff, owing to most SC owners / buyers wanting a custom build. And at ~45k for the frame alone, there's no way you'll get anywhere close to the cost of that full bike pictured there.

So no - still 15-20k more than the giant.

gx gruppo - 7k

Pike - 10k (if you're VERY lucky)

Wheels - 6k (Flow ex / Hope)

cockpit - 2k

tyres - 1.5k

saddle - 1k

dropper - 6k (2,500 if giant)

brakes - 3k (xt) 

That's a build kit cost of R 36,500, bringing you to 80k. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew