Review: Giant Reign Advanced 27.5 1

Iwan Kemp

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever driven a rally car slowly? It won't handle and the gear change is crap.

get it going faster and suddenly you realise why you were born

so you have tried the bike with a non offset pike then?

so you have tried the bike with a non offset pike then?

No but the principle is familiar to me. (karts, XC bike, Trail bikes I've owned). Everything has a performance window and it's seldom going to be perfert straight off the shop floor

When ever I see a bike has been developed by a team rider, then immediately I think ok that guys weighs 20Kg less than I do, os going to be travelling xxkm/hr faster tham through a bend/berm etc and I start thinking about what that means for how I need the bike to be set up.

Personally I don't see how I could ever get the maximum out of a Reign and would lean more toward the Trance.

So I can understand how fitting a different offset (in this case a std offset) would benefit Joe Soap instead of the custom offset fork which was developed to go as fast as possible. I'm never going to get the bike anywhere near to its performance potential

Edited by raptor-22

35% increase year on year on the RRP?  Is the bike different in spec for 2016?

ALL 2016 bikes are that much more than 2015 models.  Say thanks to the esteemed custodians of our economy and the Chinese slowdown.

However, if SA gets downgraded to sub-investment grade (AKA "junk"), ALL BETS ARE OFF (as they say in the movies) and the ZAR may go into freefall.

Very good review man. Spot on. have one thing to add, which you probably didn't get to test... I've had my reign for more than a year now and the custom offset on that fork isn't an advantage. I fact i put a pike rct3 with no offset on and the handling is much better. It also climbs better if you get your bar height, and suspension tune right. It felt "too long" around corners to me with the custom offset. I am 115kg with gear so maybe that plays a role. But now, with 2 tokens in the fork at 87psi and a few bands i the back with 200psi and some thicker oil and rebound tuning it now works like nothing i have ever ridden.

Bikes and suspension are designed to be more and more plush and to give excellent small bump performance. This does mean one have to dial it to your liking and to ensure it doesn't dive under load. Pike's tokens make it easy enough, though.

35% increase year on year on the RRP?  Is the bike different in spec for 2016?

Yip, like others have said that's the R/$ for you. I still think it represents excellent value for money. Building a frame up with those parts will cost you close on double. Carbon frame alone would be R40k +

When ever I see a bike has been developed by a team rider, then immediately I think ok that guys weighs 20Kg less than I do,

True and what I was trying to get at in the review as well. I felt with this bike even more so than some others I've tested recently. You really not to get on with it to get near the bike's limits and where it's in it's element. Great bike that's an absolute blast to ride.

ALL 2016 bikes are that much more than 2015 models.  Say thanks to the esteemed custodians of our economy and the Chinese slowdown.

However, if SA gets downgraded to sub-investment grade (AKA "junk"), ALL BETS ARE OFF (as they say in the movies) and the ZAR may go into freefall.

All 2016 ranges are 35% more expensive?  No they're not. 

Yip, like others have said that's the R/$ for you. I still think it represents excellent value for money. Building a frame up with those parts will cost you close on double. Carbon frame alone would be R40k +

Sorry, but no.  The ZAR only has so much to do with it.  Other brands have reflected ZAR-linked inflation and have a 15% year on year increase to show for it.  The bike itself is more expensive in USD base.

Furthermore, it'll be a cold day in hell that I concede that R70k is "good value for money" for a bicycle.  Relative to other overpriced, overmarketed, overhyped bikes?  Sure, a bargain.  In actual terms compared to, oh I don't know, a motorvehicle?  Don't make me laugh.

The bike industry is too busy backslapping itself to realise it's becoming a joke.  Seriously, Lacondeguy's sentiments on enduro find application.

Sorry, but no.  The ZAR only has so much to do with it.  Other brands have reflected ZAR-linked inflation and have a 15% year on year increase to show for it.  The bike itself is more expensive in USD base.

Furthermore, it'll be a cold day in hell that I concede that R70k is "good value for money" for a bicycle.  Relative to other overpriced, overmarketed, overhyped bikes?  Sure, a bargain.  In actual terms compared to, oh I don't know, a motorvehicle?  Don't make me laugh.

The bike industry is too busy backslapping itself to realise it's becoming a joke.  Seriously, Lacondeguy's sentiments on enduro find application.

Yeah, I'm relating that to other bikes with similar spec and build. Ys, R70k is a lot of money, but I'd rather spend R70k on a bike that represents good value for money than spend R120k for one with the same parts, just because it's "boutique". I'd also rather buy a R70k bike than a motor vehicle of similar value to go ride single track on.

Nico, the USD price increase was just 7.36% (4850 to 5200)Remove that from the equation and the increase attributable to the USD/ZAR exchange remains 27.5%. And here's the thing - IT COULD BE WORSE. If Giant SA hadn't bought this lot at that old rate, the increase would have been 50% (taking current exchange rates into account)If the exchange rate hadn't changed, RRP would be just be 7.36% more. Stop complaining about stuff which you clearly do not take the time to understand.

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Nico, the USD price increase was just 7.36% (4850 to 5200) Remove that from the equation and the increase attributable to the USD/ZAR exchange remains 27.5%. And here's the thing - IT COULD BE WORSE. If Giant SA hadn't bought this lot at that old rate, the increase would have been 50% (taking current exchange rates into account) If the exchange rate hadn't changed, RRP would be just be 7.36% more. Stop complaining about stuff which you clearly do not take the time to understand.

So how is it that other brands managed to restrict their increases for 2016 to 15%?

The ZAR rate was at a low of R10.18 during the last two years and a year ago it was around R11.50, which on a year on year comparison is about a 25% deterioration, but of course they didn't pl ace the order today and given the gradual slide of the ZAR the last few months the difference would be less than the current December - December extremes (but probably around the 20 - 25% range). 

So I am still not seeing the 27.5% or the 50% you hint at?

But ok, since we're chucking insults around, I'll make you a deal.  I'll stop complaining about things I don't understand if you stop posting advice about things you don't understand.

Why did Giant even bother with the Dual Position Pike, when it's widely regarded as the unloved stepchild of the Pike family?

Anyhow, a 2X10 SLX drivetrain R67k bike makes me nauseous. 

Good review, Iwan. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What this guy said.

You can get a 2016 Kawasaki KX450F for 91k. The 250F comes in at 85. And believe me that thing will still have you soiling your underwear.

It comes out the factory with Renthal bars, Nissin brakes and a KYB air forks.

The cycling industry is a joke and we are all to blame.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Why did Giant even bother with the Dual Position Pike, when it's widely regarded as the unloved stepchild of the Pike family?

Anyhow, a 2X10 SLX drivetrain R67k bike makes me nauseous. 

Good review, Iwan. 

:thumbup:  Thanks. Dual Position is much improved over the Two-Step that went before it. Performance deficit to the fixed travel version is less than Talas to Float, even though that gap has also been narrowed.

I guess it's to help with the climbing bit. I'm not too fussed about that and would prefer a fixed travel fork, but the dual position gives little away. Some prefer its feel over a tokenless Pike.

So how is it that other brands managed to restrict their increases for 2016 to 15%?

Different purchase times, I'm assuming. Quite simply. When you have to pay at a certain time, you either have some set aside for future purchase (if your bank or provider allows you the option of doing that, though it creates havoc with some accounting systems paying for stock and receiving nothing in return until some and such date) or you pay according to the rate at that time. Rate went up from 10 to 12 VERY quickly, and then up to the current 14.5 even faster. 

So I am still not seeing the 27.5% or the 50% you hint at?

$4,850 = R 49,995 = 10.31:1

$5,200 @ 10.31:1 = R 53,603 (rounding up)

$ 5,200 = R 67,500 = 12.98:1

$ 5,200 @ 14.5: 1 = R 75,400 

Taking figures above - if ZAR / USD hadn't changed AT ALL - increase would have been R3,604 or 7.2%.

But it did.

The exchange rate changed by 25.9% between RA1 2015 & RA1 2016. The 27.5% I alluded to was because I was working off your claimed increase of 35% and reducing that by the 7.216% USD cost increase. 

IF we were working off today's rate @ 14.5:1, we'd have a ZAR price of R 75,200. For a fully XT equipped carbon bike. a 50% increase in cost, almost SOLELY attributable to a rise in exchange rate.

But ok, since we're chucking insults around, I'll make you a deal.  I'll stop complaining

about things I don't understand if you stop posting advice about things you don't understand.

How about you tell the likes of Chris Porter, Giant, Mondraker, etc yourself, instead of attacking me. That's just some of the contributors to the material I've read, in order to form my opinion. Not to mention my own experiences, which, whilst at warp snail, are still valid. Seems you're just having a problem accepting that you may be wrong.

Edited by Myles Mayhew