TokaiMTB Update: Possible earlier access?

TokaiMTB

Which also hopefully means that some rebuilding can occur in the month before. Just glad that there's a significant chance of it being an 7-8 month wait instead of a year.

I'm frothing to get on Silvermine. 10km from home? A loop like that? Sjoe

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats the project schedule here? Does TMNP have a plan to co-ordinate the trail network reconstruction as the logging activities cease?

marking out trails and preparing the ground, laying foundation, sinking poles to support boardwalk, sourcing clay, delivery etc all takes a lot of time.

If there's no plan then likely "open" just means you ride the fireroad and admire the "magnificent desolation" from afar.....

till 2017-18

Edited by raptor-22

I'm frothing to get on Silvermine. 10km from home? A loop like that? Sjoe

Me too! And it'll help take the stress off other venues as well. I just hope Black hill won't suffer when we have both Silvermine and Tokai back. It'll definitely be nice to have such a rad variety in the south peninsula.

• 3 weeks later...

Any update on Silvermine West opening?  Surely by now the opening date has been confirmed.

Any update on Silvermine West opening?  Surely by now the opening date has been confirmed.

Would also love to know.

I checked the gate this morning, still firmly locked, with the barbed wire fence around the side.

Shared to TokaiMTB Facebook and twitter, plus a few retweets. 

UPDATE ON SILVERMINE WEST – TABLE MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK

Since the fire in March 2015 most of the central section (Silvermine & Tokai) was closed off to visitors for all activities in order for the section rangers team to get to work on post fire rehabilitation projects.

This included footpath work, rebuilding of fire damaged structures, closure of illegal paths, law enforcement and monitoring of the affected areas. SANParks have been working tirelessly to get the areas affected by the March 2015 fires opened again for our visitors to enjoy as they always have done.

On the 14 September, TMNP successfully reopened Silvermine East, while work at Silvermine West continued. The damage in this section included the re-building of all the boardwalks and walkways around the Silvermine Dam, down the ever popular River Walk as well as the viewing deck at Blackburn Ravine.

Although teams are hard at work, they still manage to record various interesting sightings of fauna and flora in the area. With many tasks still to be done, the Park plans to have Silvermine West reopened by the end of December 2015.

SANParks wishes to thank you for your ongoing support and will continue to provide updates to stakeholders and to the general public on progress as new information becomes available.

12360359_979775935429624_50804005908221612360190_979775962096288_444413685398611

Confirmed, Silvermine open as of tomorrow.

Thanks Myles.

Do you have more info? I cannot find further details on the web. Which sections are open, etc

Edited by Bloukrans

Apparently the notice was at the Tokai office. Probably not up on FB yet.

So they haven't notified any of their stakeholders?