Trans Baviaans 2016

Joe Low

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done!! :thumbup:  I was permanently in 34-42 and my right hand thumb was continuously searching for a lighter gear!!! I MISSED MY GRANNY!! :wacko:  :ph34r: .....a 32t in front for MAC would have suited me better......but then again, I would have lost a lot of top speed going into the Baviaans!! :whistling:  (Guess, I just need to get a bit more stronger..... ^_^ ). 

That top speed bit is my motivation for staying with the triple. It's rather funny seeing everyone spin out at 55km/h.

There were times - particularly on the Fangs where those 42s on the 1x11s looks rather appealing - I got 19% on one section!

What an awesome Trans Baviaans it was. This was my 5th and in all the years I have never seen the road like this. Very dry and VERY corrugated and at places washed away. A bit dangerous at some places too. The first 100km is hard on the body. Hard on the bike too. I regard myself extremely fortunate for not having to go single speed!!!

attachicon.gif13892123_10154448379999696_2401632233072701771_n1.jpgattachicon.gif13934597_10154448379824696_7623212542302755827_n1.jpg

Blessed are those with full suspension although for me I'm not sure it helped must! The 2nd Fang is a killer! Good luck to those riding this

weekend. Enjoy the race.

I will be doing it on my trusty hard tail this weekend - what tyre pressure did you ride?

I will be doing it on my trusty hard tail this weekend - what tyre pressure did you ride?

Bliksem ManicMark....jy is HARDCORE!!! :eek:  Sterkte!! :thumbup:

Op jou hardtail, niks meer as 1,8PSI......afhangende van jou gewig!! :whistling:

About 1.9. The road surface is hard but corrugated.

Bliksem ManicMark....jy is HARDCORE!!! :eek:  Sterkte!! :thumbup:

Op jou hardtail, niks meer as 1,8PSI......afhangende van jou gewig!! :whistling:

Maybe it is a good thing - by then, everything will be numb and the pain for the remaining 130km will be numbed even further by the MAC :eek:

About 1.9. The road surface is hard but corrugated.

I rode 1.5....  just soft enought to roll easily over pepples and still not kill hands and shoulders - ok - it has traction you probably don't need too... unless you go for 34 x 11.... in which case you will need traction going up fangs....

I am curious about peoples tire choices - I just rode the Rocket Ron's that I used for the epic this year - so they were not exactly new.

Maybe it is a good thing - by then, everything will be numb and the pain for the remaining 130km will be numbed even further by the MAC :eek:

In my experience If you do all your training & other racing on the hardtail your body is used to the extra bumps and you will be fine.

Santa Cruz tallboy.

Rear tyre Maxis Ikon 1.8 bar

Front tyre Maxis Ardent 1.8 bar.

Weight 92kg. :whistling:  :eek:

Hands were SAT at Bergplaas :blush: , the descent did not help either.

I pity the guys on hardtails this weekend. :eek:

Have fun and be safe, it supposed to be fun. :devil:

Waterpoints were tops as usual, good sportsmanship amongst the riders(in the middle where we rode) :clap: .

Dry clothes for Bergplaas and not at CP3, you will be sorry that you changed at CP3. Lekker 80m water crossing as you leave.

GO AND HAVE FUN, DONT TAKE RISKS ON THE DESCENTS.

BE WATCHFULL OF THE BLIKSEMS JUST BEFORE THE PAKSTOOR CP5. THEY PELT LARGE ORANGES AT YOU IN THE DARK. LUCKILY FOR US THEY THREW K,K. :cursing:  

Santa Cruz tallboy.

Waterpoints were tops as usual, good sportsmanship amongst the riders(in the middle where we rode) :clap: .

Dry clothes for Bergplaas and not at CP3, you will be sorry that you changed at CP3. Lekker 80m water crossing as you leave.

BE WATCHFULL OF THE BLIKSEMS JUST BEFORE THE PAKSTOOR CP5. THEY PELT LARGE ORANGES AT YOU IN THE DARK. LUCKILY FOR US THEY THREW K,K. :cursing:  

Thanks for the pity  :D  I'm just telling myself that I am used to corrugations and rough roads (we don't have much else in the Free State to train on) and that I am now used to doing it on the HT. Will not be so stupid to do it on a rigid again like I did in 2012...

That stretch after CP3 you are talking about is not known as 'Langwater' for nothing...

Had some issues a couple of years back with the outjies after CP5, only this time they were throwing stones. Alerted a policevan that was parked at the Humansdorp turn-off.

Santa Cruz tallboy.

Those little bliksems got me properly with the lemons didn't know what the heck was going on... 

Those little bliksems got me properly with the lemons didn't know what the heck was going on... 

Crusing at around 30km/h aint fun should you get knocked off the bike. Jy gaan FKN eina kry. Glad you were ok to complete the race. 

just some free advice. take warm clothes with and plenty light to last you. I unfortaunitly bombed out on Bergplaas and got a free IV in the arm to sort me out , so race over.

A lot of corrugated sections and long. River crossings wasn't to bad ( up until Bergplaas). Fang 2 and MAC was hard....very hard.

the one section there was little laaitjies who wanted to "assist" you up the hill and while they pushing you, stealing what they can. There was a number of cyclists who had there back lights pinched. So if they don't hear the first time , a good PK always works.

Organisation of everything was tops. There was earlier a question of whether the organisers check ie space blankets etc. Take the neccassary. if you develop mechanical or your body temp drops , you on your own. so don't be braveheart. Very nice race but its hard. Lack of training makes it harder.

Go out and enjoy. Great vibe,people and experience plus the views and scenery . Coming back next year to tame this monster

I rode 1.5....  just soft enought to roll easily over pepples and still not kill hands and shoulders - ok - it has traction you probably don't need too... unless you go for 34 x 11.... in which case you will need traction going up fangs....

I am curious about peoples tire choices - I just rode the Rocket Ron's that I used for the epic this year - so they were not exactly new.

I have a Nobbly Nick on the front from 2013 that I'm getting rather attached to. The damn thing just keeps on going! On the back I have a Geax Saguaro. I tend to run my tyres quite hard - certainly over 2. Makes them faster, but you pay when it comes to comfort (and grip). Swings and roundabouts.

Sorry guys, Rant on…

This was my first time flying with my bike to the TB and I am shocked at how my bike was manhandled. Last night I opened my bike bag and after I wrapped it in bubble wrap and also wrapped things like the handlebar and saddle/saddle post as well as the area around the rear derailleur in cardboard, some of the items weren’t even in the cardboard boxes anymore. It doesn’t look like they opened my bike bag (but I am not sure), but they must have given it some rough treatment for the boxes to come lose around the handlebar which then scratched my top tube and also took a chip out of the frame. The screw holding the hanger in place broke clean off. One piece of the screw is still in the frame. Like all of us I treasure my bike and saved up a long time to buy it (even with it being second hand). I take super good care of it and when stuff like this happens I just get so frustrated! I knew it is a risk to take the bike on the plane but (like many) one needs to looks at costs to do so. Flights, accommodation, entry and then to add more than R1000 for bike transport can get a bit much. Aai aai. My brother in law have flown with his bike a couple of times without issues so I suppose I was just unlucky.

Suppose there is nothing one can do…Rant off

Archived