Trans Baviaans 2016

Joe Low

Want to thank all who contributed to this (and previous years') thread with experiences and advice. Especially also Hboli for sharing your team info email and encouragement. Thanks guys, as a first-timer helped me immensely! We made it, one of the last teams with all 4 members on board, yes! and (mostly) still talking to each other!

And so I survived suicide by (26") hardtail:-)

Although I have been threatened with my life if I go so far as to even suggest doing it again next year :-)

How was that moonrise over Bergplaas??

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to everyone who finished, from the snakes with their sub-12 times to the middle packers who came in before 16 and the 'value-for-money' machines who get in under 24!

We had an interesting ride...came home in 17 hours. Headwind over the 1st 100km's made an impact and we took almost 2 hours longer for this stretch than the previous 2 years. 1st time teammate battled with cramps from Baviaansback onwards so we did some walking onwards but he pushed through and finished like a champ. My wonky knees managed to provide some 'good' quality time in the paincave from km 120 but was a great feeling to have that beer afterwards. Must say the railwayline section didn't disappoint in the suckiest section again!

Will I be back for number 8...probably. 

Want to thank all who contributed to this (and previous years') thread with experiences and advice. Especially also Hboli for sharing your team info email and encouragement. Thanks guys, as a first-timer helped me immensely! We made it, one of the last teams with all 4 members on board, yes! and (mostly) still talking to each other!

Although I have been threatened with my life if I go so far as to even suggest doing it again next year :-)

Great pleasure, well done on the finish!

That moon was spectacular and the reflection in the river towards CP5 also very special.

What a race! Some special memories made out there :clap:

We came in just over 12 hours, but very happy with our first attempt. There is something about riding in the dark and seeing nothing else but stars that made the pain and months of preparation worth it.

Congrats to everyone who finished!

Did my first TB this weekend. Hard Tail and all, was the hardest but best thing I have ver done!

Was able to come in at 12h46min so the hard work paid off :-) congrats to all that finished.

Will definitly be back next year!

Edited by phillipvdm

Did my first TB this weekend. Hard Tail and all, was the hardest but best thing I have ver done!

Was able to come in at 12h46min so the hard work paid off :-) congrats to all that finished.

Will definitly be back next year!

Really, can't agree more with this!

I'm a seriously back-of-the-pack rider.  For MTB events, before this weekend, I've only done 2: a couple of our local race, the G2C,  which is a very quick and short dirt-roadie downhill cruise to the sea (58km) and one very slow Karoo 2 Coast last year. The idea of finishing the Trans Baviaans was therefore pretty audacious really!

Our time was almost (ok not quite) twice yours and honestly, I'd do it in 20 hours or even more again because EVERY moment was totally special.

To the people like my team mates and those contributing here who take in first-timers, what you are sharing is priceless.

I will definitely be back. Unfortunately probably not next year (there will be a divorce...) but just as soon as the dots line up another group of crazies willing to ride all night with me!!

When I entered, people told me I'd lost my mind. After this weekend, I've realised, if that is true, I really don't need it.  :w00t:

Completed 2nd Baviaans this year with the same team, what a great race!

Organization superb, seconding stops fantastic, full moon going up never ender made it all worthwhile.

Definitely not for the common ant but I would say TB is a must at least once in your life!

First TB with team of 4 all the way from Ballito. 14 hours and a very special experience. Nothing to beat this and I have done 6 Sanis a Joberg2C and many others but no comparison. Will be back. Thanks Graeme, Kenyan Kev and Alex. You were machines. Barry

Congratulations to all who finished!

This is truly a special race.

The buzz around the last two weekends motivated me to finally finish & post our team's video of the 2015 race.

Have a look if you have a few (15) minutes. It is sure to stir up some good feelings...

Lekker vid Bushdaaif, we also went up Bergplaas in the light but down in the dark.

Thanks Bullet.

We managed to reach the bottom of the hill after bergplaas before switching on our lights.

The sun setting up at Bergplaas was one of the highlights of the day/night.

Unfortunately didn't ride this year, but will definitely be back in 2017.

TB2016, what an amazing ride and experience! To see the untouched beauty of the Baviaans in such a way is surely a privilege. The first half was fast, then "MAC"  were brutal as we were chasing the sun to ensure go down" big dipper" with daylight to spare. I" bought a piece of land" on one of the corners and thankful i did not went off the cliff. The " neverender" climb was awesome and legs felt great and guess what , it did end . . . The last 7 km next to the railway was the toughest part with all the mud. Our goal was 14 hrs and eventually completed in 13h14min . Our ride time were 11h18min , just show you how the checkpoints can take time  My Teamy Jaco were a super Diesel engine and a awesome team mate. Thank you Pa Monty for been our perfect support ensuring the checkpoint 5 and 7 sorted!  Thx to the organizers for a well run event ! And the biggest thank you to our Lord for giving us opportunities ! Bucket list checked. I am so blessed!

See everyone next year !

The funniest part was that profile map was so distorted & obscured that we never knew on which climb we were on. Only when arriving at a CP we will concur that that bump there was so & so.

IIRC she served her ban of 11 months from March 2015 to Jan 2016, so she is surely clear to compete again? I recall that they found traces of hydrochlorothiazide which she explained as medication she took for high blood pressure? I'm no expert here, can someone remember the full story?  

not sure how the ban works but Cycling SA only made the announcement on 05/02/16. 

So proud of my homie and our very own Nancy Drew finishing her 5th one! Legendary my friend

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

aaah, thanks NSBB  :thumbup:

That moonrise was absolutely breathtaking. It made the suffering so worthwhile... just like the shooting star that I saw at the pakhuis, very cool