Trans Baviaans 2016

Joe Low

Sorry guys, Rant on…

This was my first time flying with my bike to the TB and I am shocked at how my bike was manhandled. Last night I opened my bike bag and after I wrapped it in bubble wrap and also wrapped things like the handlebar and saddle/saddle post as well as the area around the rear derailleur in cardboard, some of the items weren’t even in the cardboard boxes anymore. It doesn’t look like they opened my bike bag (but I am not sure), but they must have given it some rough treatment for the boxes to come lose around the handlebar which then scratched my top tube and also took a chip out of the frame. The screw holding the hanger in place broke clean off. One piece of the screw is still in the frame. Like all of us I treasure my bike and saved up a long time to buy it (even with it being second hand). I take super good care of it and when stuff like this happens I just get so frustrated! I knew it is a risk to take the bike on the plane but (like many) one needs to looks at costs to do so. Flights, accommodation, entry and then to add more than R1000 for bike transport can get a bit much. Aai aai. My brother in law have flown with his bike a couple of times without issues so I suppose I was just unlucky.

Suppose there is nothing one can do…Rant off

I have previously used Bike Transport for my bike down to W2W  - cost R1000 and no problem.  Bike doesn't get dismantled at all - basically roll on, roll off.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry guys, Rant on…

This was my first time flying with my bike to the TB and I am shocked at how my bike was manhandled. Last night I opened my bike bag and after I wrapped it in bubble wrap and also wrapped things like the handlebar and saddle/saddle post as well as the area around the rear derailleur in cardboard, some of the items weren’t even in the cardboard boxes anymore. It doesn’t look like they opened my bike bag (but I am not sure), but they must have given it some rough treatment for the boxes to come lose around the handlebar which then scratched my top tube and also took a chip out of the frame. The screw holding the hanger in place broke clean off. One piece of the screw is still in the frame. Like all of us I treasure my bike and saved up a long time to buy it (even with it being second hand). I take super good care of it and when stuff like this happens I just get so frustrated! I knew it is a risk to take the bike on the plane but (like many) one needs to looks at costs to do so. Flights, accommodation, entry and then to add more than R1000 for bike transport can get a bit much. Aai aai. My brother in law have flown with his bike a couple of times without issues so I suppose I was just unlucky.

Sorry to hear about the damage to your bike.

It's disgusting how baggage handlers throw the bikes around. I remember the first time we flew to Durban for Sani2C. we sat on the plane and watched in horror how they threw the bike boxes around. It seemed that the more 'Fragile' stickers there were, the harder they threw it.

The bikes that were without boxes, were wheeled and stacked fairly neatly and seemed better off.

The guys that traveled often used the hard shell travel boxes.

I now use a bike transport company for an event. A bit more expensive, but much less admin and far more peace of mind.

I have previously used Bike Transport for my bike down to W2W  - cost R1000 and no problem.  Bike doesn't get dismantled at all - basically roll on, roll off.

Sorry to hear about the damage to your bike.

It's disgusting how baggage handlers throw the bikes around. I remember the first time we flew to Durban for Sani2C. we sat on the plane and watched in horror how they threw the bike boxes around. It seemed that the more 'Fragile' stickers there were, the harder they threw it.

The bikes that were without boxes, were wheeled and stacked fairly neatly and seemed better off.

The guys that traveled often used the hard shell travel boxes.

I now use a bike transport company for an event. A bit more expensive, but much less admin and far more peace of mind.

Ja, thanks guys. I learned my lesson here. I will most certainly use a bike transport company in future... Expensive lesson though :(

Maybe it is a good thing - by then, everything will be numb and the pain for the remaining 130km will be numbed even further by the MAC :eek:

hahaha.... :w00t:

so will be doing my 1st real baviaans this weekend (langsbaviaans 2011 just didnt count for me)

I`ve  heard of a few guys getting a turn wrong on the top of bergplaas, can someone please give me more info of this turn?  Were it is and why they getting it wrong?

Sorry guys, Rant on…

Sorry to hear that!!!......but, that's why I use Bicycle Transport provided by Joggie Rautenbach. Real professional setup and I know that my R80k machine is going to be looked after!! :thumbup:   I highly recommend him and his business! 

so will be doing my 1st real baviaans this weekend (langsbaviaans 2011 just didnt count for me)

I`ve  heard of a few guys getting a turn wrong on the top of bergplaas, can someone please give me more info of this turn?  Were it is and why they getting it wrong?

I really can't think of a reason to get it wrong to be honest...Maybe it is because we always get there after dark and can see all the people coming back down after checking out and going up after checking in, and you can see the checkpoint to your left..

Might be the front runners who blitz through and don't look around and don't look at the map beforehand...

Regarding Bergplaas...After you finish the climb 'proper' you get a drag of about 3km long if memory serves with the checkpoint off to your left at the top of the drag.

Then another 600m or so up to the checkpoint itself.

so will be doing my 1st real baviaans this weekend (langsbaviaans 2011 just didnt count for me)[/size]

You can't go wrong at Bergplaas. The only "turn" is the turn off to the checkpoint. We were there at dark but I think its even easier in Daylight.

It's very difficult to miss Bergplaas. Usually the bright orange cones and/or marshall with a torch (we get there in the dark) are a sign that you need to turn left. The riders busy leaving as we're arriving helps too  :blush:

It's very difficult to miss Bergplaas. Usually the bright orange cones and/or marshall with a torch (we get there in the dark) are a sign that you need to turn left. The riders busy leaving as we're arriving helps too  :blush:

I think it would be easy to miss if you didn't know you had to turn off the road and ride 500m up to the checkpoint - not that obvious at all really unless you knew - fortunately my partner knew this - otherwise I would have ridden past thinking that the flag was just a warning for an upcoming stop.

This might be easier at night when the lights of the stop are visible - but the checkpoint is not very visible from the road in daylight - easy mistake to make for a newbie.

I think it would be easy to miss if you didn't know you had to turn off the road and ride 500m up to the checkpoint - not that obvious at all really unless you knew - fortunately my partner knew this - otherwise I would have ridden past thinking that the flag was just a warning for an upcoming stop.

This might be easier at night when the lights of the stop are visible - but the checkpoint is not very visible from the road in daylight - easy mistake to make for a newbie.

You might make a good point  :D

Edit: 'At night..... it would be very difficult to miss'

I agree, a flag in the middle of nowhere, checked some people ride past but managed to turn them around.

Regarding Bergplaas...After you finish the climb 'proper' you get a drag of about 3km long if memory serves with the checkpoint off to your left at the top of the drag.

Then another 600m or so up to the checkpoint itself.

It is really amazing how many riders (1st timers) miss that left hand turn-off towards Bergplaas in the daylight!!! :eek: ....they just focus in front of them and miss the turn-off!!! :blink:

At 90.7km on the left hand side of the road is a small POLAR GPS unit that sprung out of my arm band. Would be very grateful if someone found it & returned it to me. I'm in Cape Town. So if someone is cruising on 2nd TB & passes that point...

At 90.7km on the left hand side of the road is a small POLAR GPS unit that sprung out of my arm band. Would be very grateful if someone found it & returned it to me. I'm in Cape Town. So if someone is cruising on 2nd TB & passes that point...

Sorry man that's unfortunate

If you are unsuccessful have a squiz below

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/203308-computers-tech/

I am assuming its the GPS unit?