Trans Baviaans 2016

Joe Low

if that's true then I only need to train for the 140km that follows

No that's unfortunately not true.  First 27/30km has some nice climbs, though nothing too serious.  However the problem starts just after Geelhoutbos.   Some really bad climbs from there on.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was looking at route profile, gets a bit steep in some sections 30%  :eek:  either way we going to k@k ...230km 

Just pace yourself and walk when necessary.

This weekend we did our first really long ride. We started at Van Gaalens, headed out and did the concrete climb, then tant Miems & dagga pad. We headed towards oom Piets, did the Nguni and from there on we headed to Breedts Nek. When we got to the top I was broken so we did not go over. We turned around and headed back to VG. Eventually we ended on 133km in total of 8:10 (about 7:30 ride time) with 1350 accent.

After this, I am seriously reconsidering doing the TB. I don't think I have it in me...... How would I ride like this compare to the TB (except for the obvious 100km short)?

You 

This weekend we did our first really long ride. We started at Van Gaalens, headed out and did the concrete climb, then tant Miems & dagga pad. We headed towards oom Piets, did the Nguni and from there on we headed to Breedts Nek. When we got to the top I was broken so we did not go over. We turned around and headed back to VG. Eventually we ended on 133km in total of 8:10 (about 7:30 ride time) with 1350 accent.

After this, I am seriously reconsidering doing the TB. I don't think I have it in me...... How would I ride like this compare to the TB (except for the obvious 100km short)?

youll be fine, take it easy

You will be fine. It is very important to pace yourself, especially over the 1st 100km's. The temptation will be there to give it horns and latch onto faster teams but ride at your own pace (actually a little slower than you feel comfortable with). The 'real' Baviaans starts after 100km (basically after the 2nd checkpoint) with the real testing bits after the 3rd checkpoint.

If you pace yourself and ride from checkpoint to checkpoint you WILL finish, just treat it as a couple of 50km rides (not races) for the start and leave something in the tank for the hills.

Feel free to ask me anything as well, doing my 7th this year.

You 

You will be fine. It is very important to pace yourself, especially over the 1st 100km's. The temptation will be there to give it horns and latch onto faster teams but ride at your own pace (actually a little slower than you feel comfortable with). The 'real' Baviaans starts after 100km (basically after the 2nd checkpoint) with the real testing bits after the 3rd checkpoint.

If you pace yourself and ride from checkpoint to checkpoint you WILL finish, just treat it as a couple of 50km rides (not races) for the start and leave something in the tank for the hills.

Feel free to ask me anything as well, doing my 7th this year.

If I may ask you what do you use as a measurement to "pace yourself" ? Certain speed limit, HR zone ? I understand it will differ from person to person but just to get an idea.

If I may ask you what do you use as a measurement to "pace yourself" ? Certain speed limit, HR zone ? I understand it will differ from person to person but just to get an idea.

Pacing can take various forms.  One way is to take it slow on the climbs - specially in the beginning.  A 2nd way of doing it is to set yourself a reasonable target on where you want to be at what time. The first Trans Baviaans should be fun and a learning curve unless you are aiming for a podium place. Ride how you feel and remember its a long one! Important too is that the whole team has the same mind set.

Pacing can take various forms.  One way is to take it slow on the climbs - specially in the beginning.  A 2nd way of doing it is to set yourself a reasonable target on where you want to be at what time. The first Trans Baviaans should be fun and a learning curve unless you are aiming for a podium place. Ride how you feel and remember its a long one! Important too is that the whole team has the same mind set.

Really looking forward to this race. the timing of the start is interesting makes for some fun night time riding...after a few kms in the legs..

My longest ride recently is 155kms in 11 hours, 3700m ascent, so looking forward to breaking through that double century marker. Lets hope the weather is not like this weekend...

Really looking forward to this race. the timing of the start is interesting makes for some fun night time riding...after a few kms in the legs..

My longest ride recently is 155kms in 11 hours, 3700m ascent, so looking forward to breaking through that double century marker. Lets hope the weather is not like this weekend...

I'll say that you are ready to do it! If you can do 155 with that amount of climbing, you can do the Trans.  Just do some long night rides as well. Good luck.

have done a lot of night riding, for R2R prep, so happy with that.

but I know a lot can happen between 150 and 230kms, so still very nervous of this race. Its a long way and keeping all 4 guys going for the whole race is going to be an interesting part of the strategy.  

I bought over an entry for a spot on an existing team for the 1st weekend. The original rider couldn't go anymore. Turns out I can't go anymore either. If someone wants to take over the spot (rest of the team is 3 other guys) let me know. R1000. If you wanted to ride Trans, R1000 is the cheapest way you're going to get an entry into the race.

As Frikkels said, I would not 'race' my 1st Trans (I still don't, we have a 1st timer or two each year and normally finish in the back third, we also take our time at the checkpoints and stop for photos etc etc. - you can also loose a lot of time at the checkpoints, this is also where a 2 man team is much 'better' than a 4 man).

I don't ride with a HRM but on how I 'feel', whether it is battling with breathing or feeling too much strain on the legs or a combination of both, as soon as that happens I communicate it with the team and we go a bit slower. Over the 1st 100km, I just-just like to feel a moderate amount of 'resistance' in the legs and keep it that way.

There is a 'split-time' calculator on the website you can use as well. We normally aim to be at Doornkraal (Checkpoint 3) at 16.00 - we send our lights to this checkpoint. We then aim for a 14-16 hour Trans...

have done a lot of night riding, for R2R prep, so happy with that.

but I know a lot can happen between 150 and 230kms, so still very nervous of this race. Its a long way and keeping all 4 guys going for the whole race is going to be an interesting part of the strategy.  

The team dynamic is what makes the race both interesting and tricky. I have seen good friendships go out the window on this race. You need to manage each rider and sacrifice your own goal and adapt as the race progresses.

One guy might suffer in the 1st 50km and stay strong for the rest, others suffer multiple times or only at 200km. I've seen teams abandon on 210km...

As Frikkels said, I would not 'race' my 1st Trans (I still don't, we have a 1st timer or two each year and normally finish in the back third, we also take our time at the checkpoints and stop for photos etc etc. - you can also loose a lot of time at the checkpoints, this is also where a 2 man team is much 'better' than a 4 man).

I don't ride with a HRM but on how I 'feel', whether it is battling with breathing or feeling too much strain on the legs or a combination of both, as soon as that happens I communicate it with the team and we go a bit slower. Over the 1st 100km, I just-just like to feel a moderate amount of 'resistance' in the legs and keep it that way.

There is a 'split-time' calculator on the website you can use as well. We normally aim to be at Doornkraal (Checkpoint 3) at 16.00 - we send our lights to this checkpoint. We then aim for a 14-16 hour Trans...

You are  my type of rider! Exactly how I do Trans.  Every year I take novice riders with me. Has never done it with riders who did it before. Be honest with one another and just keep going! 

You are  my type of rider! Exactly how I do Trans.  Every year I take novice riders with me. Has never done it with riders who did it before. Be honest with one another and just keep going! 

Martin Dreyer Mantra, one foot in front of the other! :)

My biggest concern is the weather. Did my first last year and the weather was awesome. I've heard though that it's usually a different story. Cold I can handle, but cold and rain... I don't know.

It's a special race! Enjoy it and take in all the sights.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

* Re - posting for the original tread..*

So... Lets get into a bit of a Trans mode here.. Lets talk gear, training and tips 'n tricks.

My first time this year, haven't trained, full of cigars and wine, but did the Epic, which makes me indestructible... :whistling:   :whistling:

Bike  : Santa

Tyres : I usually Schwalbe everything, but going for Vittoria's just to be sure :thumbup:

Apparel : Assos everything

Lights : Need some

Nutrition : 32GI

Hopes  : To finish

Dreams : No Rain whatsoever

If you'd like to add some valuable info, plz proceed..

Have a great week gents!

Did it last year.... Was fantastic!

Partner(s) with good sense of humour. The Never Ender becomes very lonely if you and your partner don't get along.

Sort out your waterpoints. Don't have too much *** in there. Keep it simple.

Vittoria a good call.

800 lumen light enough, but have a good battery.

Know your saddle  :)

My biggest concern is the weather. Did my first last year and the weather was awesome. I've heard though that it's usually a different story. Cold I can handle, but cold and rain... I don't know.

It's a special race! Enjoy it and take in all the sights.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Last year was good, it can get hotter, it can get wetter, it can get windier and it can get a lot colder...2010 was very hot, 2011 had so much rain beforehand that the 'Langsbaviaans' was held (the day itself also got quite cold with temps below freezing during the night), 2012 had LOTS of watercrossings - we stopped counting at 30-odd, 2013 was a moderate year, 2014 had quite a strong headwind on the 1st 100km's and last year quite a strong tailwind. The road surface also varies quite a lot from year to year, 2014 especially was quite bad if I remember correctly.

Maybe Velouria can confirm but there was a year where it rained almost for the full 24 hours...

Archived