Trans Baviaans 2016

Joe Low

Waiting to hear if our entry is confirmed and then we need to start organizing logistics and accommodation, let along laying downs some training miles...

I'm afraid you won't get accommodation in Willowmore if you wait until then. The little town was already quite full when I tried to find a spot last year.

There are rider lists on the website. You can check if your name is on one of those and take that as confirmation.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the training program that they have on the TransBaviaans website is 23 weeks long. As it turns out there are +-23 weeks to the beginning of August. Good time to start if you're going to follow it. 

I'm thinking of giving it a try this year rather than just winging it.

Just putting it out there

And if folk do the training they won't be whingeing it...................

...........not that we ever do....

....ever

Hi milky,

There are quite a lot of tips etc. on the 2015 thread if memory serves me right. I am doing my 7th straight this year. Velouria on here has done all of them so will also be able to give a lot of advise.

We usually plan for a 15-18 hour ride. You are welcome to send me a pm if you have any questions or need advise. I have a sort of general 'planning' mail I send to my team each year with loads of info which I can pm to you as well...if you understand Afrikaans  :ph34r:

Hi could you possibly send me that general mail as I need all the help I can get as I have entered the Trans Karoo. Its my first ultra endurance event. Call it my midlife crisis. Thanks in advance. Michael.

And if folk do the training they won't be whingeing it...................

...........not that we ever do....

....ever

exactly, remedy the 'wing' and sort the out the 'whinge'

a trained TB partner is a happy one......

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone please elaborate on what this means? Thanks

"Please note: Riders must take note that the route will not be marked as orienteering plays an important role during the event."

"Please note: Riders must take note that the route will not be marked as orienteering plays an important role during the event."

Don't worry there are no wrong turn-offs in the Baviaans that you can take. If you are half blind you might miss the Bergplaas waterpoint as it is a few 100 meters from the road and you need to check in there so you can't skip it (if you see a steep downhill after the MAC climb before you see a waterpoint you missed it).

And after the Baviaanskloof there is like one place where the road split where you need to take the correct turn-off which you have to take note off.

You get a detailed map telling you where to go. For the most part though, you get on the road through the Baviaanskloof and go straight. There are very few turn offs.

Don't worry there are no wrong turn-offs in the Baviaans that you can take. If you are half blind you might miss the Bergplaas waterpoint as it is a few 100 meters from the road and you need to check in there so you can't skip it (if you see a steep downhill after the MAC climb before you see a waterpoint you missed it).

And after the Baviaanskloof there is like one place where the road split where you need to take the correct turn-off which you have to take note off.

We actually missed the turn after checkpoint 5, where you turn off the tar road towards never ender. A few 100m down the road there was a sign saying, "you are off course. Turn around". So even though it's generally unmarked, there are some route markings. Your chances of getting lost is slim.

Ask last years almost winners what it means.  They lost there first plase due to a wrong turn.

Ask last years almost winners what it means.  They lost there first plase due to a wrong turn.

Well I did mention that ONE road split, I remember we were also unsure when we got there  ^_^

And they would have broken the course record. Think they turned right before Never Ender.

Just completed the Argus last week, so that's the end of my road bike season. From now on it's time to ride the "Dikwiel" for Trans Elands and Baviaans preparation.

We actually missed the turn after checkpoint 5, where you turn off the tar road towards never ender. A few 100m down the road there was a sign saying, "you are off course. Turn around". So even though it's generally unmarked, there are some route markings. Your chances of getting lost is slim.

This happened to us on our first Baviaans. Fortunately other riders made the same mistake ahead of us and corrected us before we rode too far out, so I'm very aware of that turnoff now. It's the only place that's easy to get lost if you're not concentrating. Ups to the organizers for arranging that sign 

This is the one bit in all the bumpfh they send out that gets up my nose as it seems like a real cop out for not putting up an arrow in the two places where it's needed. "Orienteering"? ...Piffle.

Missed out on an entry this year. 

History shown it is easy buying an entry in summer, but difficult to train in winter...

Wonder if there will again be so many entries for sale (closer to he event date) as last year. 

Maybe I should start training anyway ... you never know... :ph34r:

Our entry was confirmed this morning, so we are in!

It seemed like a great idea a the time, but now I am terrified!

240km in one go! SRSLY?

Archived