Top-notch Allen keys?

gerhardsnorbaard

Hubbers

Looking to buy proper high-quality allen keys - currently I only have a horrid R150 multitool.  

What is the recommendation - do I go and get the best Park Tool keys I could find, or is there a decent high-quality hardware store alternative recommended? Probably looking at sizes 4-6, so dont want to buy a whole set either.

Also looked at this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/za/en/park-tool-3-way-hexagonal-wrench-aw/rp-prod13218  

I am sure one could find good allen keys at Builders Warehouse, or Midas, or where?

Some guidance please

#Friday

Any decent brand chrome vanadium Allen Keys are fine, Park Tools are undoubtedly good stuff but there you are definitely paying a hefty premium just for the name.

Any decent brand chrome vanadium Allen Keys are fine, Park Tools are undoubtedly good stuff but there you are definitely paying a hefty premium just for the name.

noted, thanks

just get from builders warehouse... you will even be able to get imperial sizes if you need

Which bike parts still use imperial nuts now bolts, Campy?

Most tool shops sell a set of ball ended T-Handle allen keys. Those are nice. Otherwise a set of long reach ball allen keys (Chrome Vinadium) will work.

Failing which Builders is fine.

A set of imperial allen keys is handy to remove some stripped cap heads.... The use of a persuader is sometimes required though......

We have six multitools at home but when I purchased my compound bow I had to go find a set of imperial allen keys.

A set of imperial allen keys is handy to remove some stripped cap heads.... The use of a persuader is sometimes required though......

correct and you can also use hex keys on stripped cap heads

If you near Randburg the Toolshop has awesome tools. Beta, Snap-on etc. but to be honest, any Chrome Vanadium set is perfect IMO.

Don't buy a cheap set either. They are usually over hardened in which case they shatter or not hard enough and they will either twist or lose their edges.

Best Allen keys in the business are EIGHT (Yes that's the brand).

Not even Snap-On come close.

Have to agree, have had a long reach set since 1998!

Archived