LBS assistance in selling bike

CJG

Looking at bringing my bike back to South Africa to sell in February, will be in the Cape Town / Stellenbosch area for only 2 weeks. Don't have time to put advert on the hub to find potential buyers, but was hoping to leave the bike at a LBS on consignment. The bike will need a service and obviously the LBS will take a cut. 

What would be a fair cut for the LBS?

Looking at bringing my bike back to South Africa to sell in February, will be in the Cape Town / Stellenbosch area for only 2 weeks. Don't have time to put advert on the hub to find potential buyers, but was hoping to leave the bike at a LBS on consignment. The bike will need a service and obviously the LBS will take a cut. 

there are a couple of places that do this as part of their trade, but not a lot.

Cycle Traders aka Avron's in Woodstock is the most well known, but I think ReCycles in Bellville and HandleBar in Salt River also do it.

there are a couple of places that do this as part of their trade, but not a lot.

Cycle Traders aka Avron's in Woodstock is the most well known, but I think ReCycles in Bellville and HandleBar in Salt River also do it.

Ive heard of Avrons, have you dealt with them before?

Edited by CJG

My LBS charged me 15% for one sale a while back. Bike sold in one day.

I think I will try the bike shops in Stellenbosch. if it doesn't work out, will try Avron, aka Avbob

Edited by CJG

Myles:

I want to buy a bike (on the Hub) in CPT and I stay in Pta, would there be an LBS that can act as middle man for me. Checking the bike and sending to me once I have paid? Searched for info on the Hub and this is the closest thread I could find.

Myles:

I want to buy a bike (on the Hub) in CPT and I stay in Pta, would there be an LBS that can act as middle man for me. Checking the bike and sending to me once I have paid? Searched for info on the Hub and this is the closest thread I could find.

Cyclefunatic in durbanville did this for me , and packed and held for courier

Great service and have done some retail therapy when down that way as a result :-)

Remember to take 14% VAT into account when asking a bike shop to sell your bike for you. If they are a VAT vendor they will have to charge the guy buying your bike VAT. So if someone buys your bike for say R22 800, R2 800 of that is VAT, and if you take 15% off the balance, you're left with R 17 000, so effectively you're out of pocket 34%.

Honestly not sure, Andre. Not something I've ever had to deal with or investigate

Thanks for the feedback Myles.

Cyclefunatic in durbanville did this for me , and packed and held for courier

Great service and have done some retail therapy when down that way as a result :-)

Thanks Milosh, appreciate the feedback