Shock horror

CleatsnCleavage

In October before W2W I took my bike to my LBS (who shall remain nameless as despite the story below I still like the shop), which has branches in several locations, for a major service including rear shock service.

I was told by the mechanic that they cannot get seals from DT Swiss, so they just clean the shock out. Yes ok, whatever, you are the expert, do your thing, call me in a day or two and I will come and pay you. They know I don't mind paying for my bike, if something needs to be fixed, please alert me and continue. 

Ride W2W, return to Jhb and a week later go to Modder for a night race, only to discover there is zero air pressure in my shock. Someone has a pump on hand, so they pump it up and I manage to ride the 25km although it clearly wasn't functioning properly. Return to shop, they keep it for a day and then call me to collect. Being a female and trusting this shop, I dont ask too many questions, assuming they replaced a seal or something. No charge.

This weekend, pack the bikes up and drive 300km to Van Reenen where we have booked into the Green Lantern Inn for 2 days of some serious LSD training. I managed to complete 30km on Saturday morning before my shock lost all pressure. Pumping it up wouldnt help, air goes straight through. Day of riding wasted.

Luckily had a sick friend who was staying in the vicinity for the Trans Draak dry run so she loaned me her bike so that at least I got to ride on Sunday. 

Today, called a Scott representative, who tells me that the shop has null and voided my shock warranty because they should not have opened it themselves. It should have been sent to them (a mere 10 minutes away).

The mechanic who did this has since left the shop. They have no explanation except to say he left a trail of similar stories in his wake. 

Shock will now finally be sent to DT Swiss to service, and I am getting a loan bike while this happens. Planning to ask them  to at least carry the costs of the proper service, since I have already paid once for this job.

I am quite dazed and confused that my reputable LBS has let me down like this. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds more like one mechanic let the shop down.

And since the shop has already done one FOC repair (even if it didn't work) I'd say that they are on the right track.

Why the premature rant?  Why not see what the outcome of the service with Scott is, and if there are any associated costs?

And since the shop has already done one FOC repair (even if it didn't work) I'd say that they are on the right track.

Why the premature rant?  Why not see what the outcome of the service with Scott is, and if there are any associated costs?

Nope, the mechanic did NOT let the shop down.

The shop let C&C down if they failed to supervise their employee. They are vicariously liable for his actions and have no right to blame it on him when talking to their customer. 

Whilst a bad workman blames his tools, a bad manager blames his employees.

Just replace that DT with a Fox, you'll thank me later. Seen many many MANY DT with the same problem.

The employer is always responsible for the actions of its employees. Imagine we lived in a world where a service provider could claim that it was the fault of one of their previous employees, so they can't be held responsible...

Edit: However, I realize it can't always be black and white, so there probably are some exceptions.

Had a DT swiss on a Scott spark, failed to hold pressure constantly. Service was more expensive than a 2nd hand Fox so turfed the DT! suggest you do the same, it will let you down again. 

sounds to me like the shop is not putting all the blame on the mechanic but letting CnC know the mechanic stuffed up - so she knows the reasons behind it. If they dont cover the service then my opinion of them will of course change

There are lots of LBS who have mechanics at the back who know the basics on how to build, fix, or service a bike... But, how many of them actually ride bikes? That's what concerns me the most... do they even know what to look for or do they simply just follow a rule book?! A good mechanic can ride or just look at the bike and based on his/her riding experience can single out a problem in no time.

I now only trust myself with my bike. If i don't know something, i learn through online manuals or you tube. But yeah i do understand that some people don't have the time to work on their bikes. 

LBS need to hire the right people for the job, ITS STARTS WITH THEM!! That being said, good and experienced bike mechanics are hard to find... Rather find the right person, pay them well, and the shop will earn a good rep. 

That was a major issue on a lot of DT Swiss shocks that came on Scott Sparks. Had the same issue with the sister in laws 2012 Scott Spark 30. ... That DT Swiss Nude 2 shock was horrendous. Eventually sent it to Scott and they did a full new internal swop and now its fine (touch wood).

The guys who we know battled too, so it also a case of faulty product, not just poor service.

______

EDIT :offtopic:  - CnC ....If you dont come right and get the horrors properly, I know someone (me :whistling: ) who is selling a top of the line Juliana Furtado Primeiro (Ladies Santa Cruz 5010) ... if you dont come right and need a new small carbon ladies specific bike let me know.   :whistling:  :ph34r:

I get why the OP is upset. Planning a weekend away riding, and then it fails due to technical issues that should have been dealt with 6 weeks ago first time.

If Scott does not honour the warrantee, ask them what the procedure would be to lay a formal complaint with Scott international with the shop that committed the breach. Ask to be notified of their findings and also ask them to suggest an appropriate remedy.  

As a customer you rely on an authorised dealer to always follow the correct protocol to ensure that your interests are being looked after.

There are lots of LBS who have mechanics at the back who know the basics on how to build, fix, or service a bike... But, how many of them actually ride bikes? That's what concerns me the most... do they even know what to look for or do they simply just follow a rule book?! A good mechanic can ride or just look at the bike and based on his/her riding experience can single out a problem in no time.

I now only trust myself with my bike. If i don't know something, i learn through online manuals or you tube. But yeah i do understand that some people don't have the time to work on their bikes. 

LBS need to hire the right people for the job, ITS STARTS WITH THEM!! That being said, good and experienced bike mechanics are hard to find... Rather find the right person, pay them well, and the shop will earn a good rep. 

Agree on your points...however I am one of those people who can diagnose a bike in a few peddle strokes - yes I am blowing my own horn here but my point is I moved away from a higher paying job in a shop to a lesser salary because of the management...right now I may be earning less but the job is fun and I get treated fairly! 

at the end of the day, the shop has offered me my position back and I said they don't have enough money to pay me for amount of K@k I would have to endure...

Have to agree with GLuvsMtb.

What the LBS and Scott have in terms of procedures, should in no way affect the client/end user.

They should make good, regardless, and then take it up with their client, the LBS.

I no longer have time for these companies & brands, who do their best to avoid responsibility.

The OP made 2 mistakes IMO: Scott & DT Swiss... :ph34r:

There are lots of LBS who have mechanics at the back who know the basics on how to build, fix, or service a bike... But, how many of them actually ride bikes?

A good mechanic can ride or just look at the bike and based on his/her riding experience can single out a problem in no time.

My mechanic used to ride a bike, but then he did the Munga and now no longer does.

Oh, sorry, he is the Crusher so he probably is riding home right now :ph34r:

That was a major issue on a lot of DT Swiss shocks that came on Scott Sparks. Had the same issue with the sister in laws 2012 Scott Spark 30. ... That DT Swiss Nude 2 shock was horrendous. Eventually sent it to Scott and they did a full new internal swop and now its fine (touch wood).

The guys who we know battled too, so it also a case of faulty product, not just poor service.

______

EDIT :offtopic:  - CnC ....If you dont come right and get the horrors properly, I know someone (me :whistling: ) who is selling a top of the line Juliana Furtado Primeiro (Ladies Santa Cruz 5010) ... if you dont come right and need a new small carbon ladies specific bike let me know.   :whistling:  :ph34r:

I never pegged you as a small lady...  :whistling:

Archived