Keep Upgrading or Start Saving?

AlanD

Hi All,

With the large array of new bikes that have come onto the market, i feel that i have been left behind on the tech dramatically and need some advice going forward.

Currently i ride a Merida AM 26er and love it, 26ers are all i know and have never even tested or thought of testing a 27.5 and 29er as i am old school.

I bought this bike from a hubber when my old Mongoose Otera gave in and since then i have been upgrading her with everything possible: Seat, wheels (expensive upgrade afer finally finding some 26er rims and tyres), 1x10 conversion, shock services, bearing repalcements, new brakes, rotors, bottle cage, grips, handlebar, stem...etc.

Thinking of upgrading my front fork at some stage (will need to save for it) but there is nothing wrong with my current one which is a fox Talas (100-140mm adjustable although it stays on the 140mm setting), straight steerer, quick release. Want something a bit newer and thru axel but to try find a 26er thru axle, straight steerer with 140mm travel or maybe a bit more travel is rather difficult. Then i think to myself is it really worth forking (pun intended) out all that money to upgrade my 26er.

So the question i am asking is, do i keep updrading the 26er or start saving for 27.5er with some more modern tech where parts are freely availble. I would go 27.5 as i enjoy trail riding and am not a big guy and feel the 29er will be an overkill and sluggish on the trails.

Ideally i would like a 27.5er trail bike and maybe a 29er hard tail and keep my 26er just to have the experience of everyhitng but unfortunally i can only afford to maintian one bike so it's either leave the 26er where it is as its riding beautifully now and start saving for a newer bike?. I also have to take into account that the second lighty is baking in oven as we speak so cash will be tighter than a jew at xmas :-).

Any advice will be welcomed. Thanks for reading.

If you are enjoying your bike - why change?

Fashion catching up?

I guess its because parts are getting harder to find and trying to weigh up if it's worth upgrading or just save for another bike as the fork upgrades wil be very pricey

It's a good question.

I guess you have to be careful that you don't end up spending more on upgrades, than you would if you sold your 'old' bike and bought a 'new' one.

Looking at what you've upgraded, that you say your bike is working well, and that there's a new kid on the way, I'd stay with what you've got. But be wary of spending any more money on '26' specific parts if you're going to go 27.5 one day in the future. Maybe keep an eye open for 27.5 frames and then slowly build up that bike as money and time permits.

I'm very resistant to spending large sums of money, but have learnt that this has sometimes cost me more in the long run...

Good luck.

Fork upgrades are always pricey regardless of wheel size. You can still get forks for what you require from places like Chain Reaction Cycles. Only problem is 26er tyres. Spez store still stocks decent, tubeless and reasonably priced ones.

I don't think you need to be very concerned with 26er or changing asap. You could get parts from various sources but it takes a bit longer and not as readily available.

Either way since your happy with the bike I wouldn't rush anything. Building up a 27.5 from the frame and your old bike might be the more affordable option and always nice way to get what you want first time :)

It's a good question.

I guess you have to be careful that you don't end up spending more on upgrades, than you would if you sold your 'old' bike and bought a 'new' one.

Looking at what you've upgraded, that you say your bike is working well, and that there's a new kid on the way, I'd stay with what you've got. But be wary of spending any more money on '26' specific parts if you're going to go 27.5 one day in the future. Maybe keep an eye open for 27.5 frames and then slowly build up that bike as money and time permits.

I'm very resistant to spending large sums of money, but have learnt that this has sometimes cost me more in the long run...

Good luck.

Yeah, i am now concerned about spending anymore money on the 26er (unless something breaks) as i feel i will loose out in the end with all the new bikes avaiable. Problem is to contain buying bike stuff which is difficult :whistling:

Like the suggestion of building a 27.5 as then i can slowly do that when money allows. Thanks

upgrade as you go along and transplant when you get a frame, win win

Well i just upgraded the wheels so that is a fail if moving to a 27.5..would like to keep the 26er though.

Well i just upgraded the wheels so that is a fail if moving to a 27.5..would like to keep the 26er though.

we are talking about UPGRADES :whistling:  :whistling: :ph34r:  :ph34r:  

Yip. Upgrade doesn't mean wheel size change. If you love the 26er and want to upgrade then do it. Meaning buy better 26er wheels, frame or suspension.

If you want bigger wheels then save up! Like DIPS said you can do a transplant! 

upgrade as you go along and transplant when you get a frame, win win

Not going to work, 26er parts don't fit on a 29er, or at least it will fit, but will not ride like it supposed to...  :ph34r:

Not going to work, 26er parts don't fit on a 29er, or at least it will fit, but will not ride like it supposed to...  :ph34r:

So my stem, handle bar, seat post, saddle, brakes, crank, cassette...blah blah blah won't work on a 29er :rolleyes:

Thinking outside the box here.... you're looking for a fork upgrade and possibly going to 650b at a later stage.

Would it be silly to put a 650b fork on your current frame and keeping the current wheels? Would just slacken the head angle slightly, and allow you to go thru axle if your hub allows it. Makes for a "future proof" upgrade. Depending on your frame you may be able to get a "headset adapter" which would allow for a tapered steerer too.

I would personally only consider this if hub could take thru axle and frame could allow for a tapered headset adapter.

Thinking outside the box here.... you're looking for a fork upgrade and possibly going to 650b at a later stage.

Would it be silly to put a 650b fork on your current frame and keeping the current wheels? Would just slacken the head angle slightly, and allow you to go thru axle if your hub allows it. Makes for a "future proof" upgrade. Depending on your frame you may be able to get a "headset adapter" which would allow for a tapered steerer too.

I would personally only consider this if hub could take thru axle and frame could allow for a tapered headset adapter.

I was thinking that but wasn't sure if a 650b fork will work for 26er wheels and headset.

I googled headset adapters and couldn't seem to find anything that converts straight to taper but think there is an adapter to go the other way.

Archived