Touring suggestion?

Sepia

me, myself and I...  ^_^

Super impressed!! I have been thinking of making one for a while...not sure it will turn out as good as yours. 

I have done a few overnight trips and also just using a tarp... and no mattress...but if I went for a bit longer I recon I'd have to find a nice mattress option. 

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Super impressed!! I have been thinking of making one for a while...not sure it will turn out as good as yours. 

I have done a few overnight trips and also just using a tarp... and no mattress...but if I went for a bit longer I recon I'd have to find a nice mattress option. 

Im doomed the second i fit the panniers to my bike... pack WAY too much then...

This weekend will be the lightest ive ever bikepacked...

Some random info that might be of use to someone... For those of you that drink Horlicks, keep the container, I found it fits perfectly in a bottle cage and is a handy storage container, Its a decent volume, has a nice wide mouth for easy access and is transparant once you rip off the outer plastic branding.

http://mytuck.co.za/image/cache/retail/makro-horlicks-300x300.jpg

Good trick that, the bike specific ones are about the same quality and cost R180, actually on mine since new the lid wouldn't stay tightened, eventually used a peanut butter bottle lid to replace it.

Those self inflating micro mattresses are about the best option?

Those self inflating micro mattresses are about the best option?

Jip

i got this one from k-way, doesnt weigh much. Bought it for hikeing

post-12987-0-97363100-1456926941_thumb.jpg

I'm planning on doing a Bloem to CT tour this year...when I find a gap.

Plan it properly and you will find than the Munga is still taking entries.......

Looks good Freak!

Would hate a crawley to pay me a visit .

What weight is that set-up?

@Freak that looks really cool.  I'm riding to Magalies on 19 March to camp over at Mountain Sanctuary Park.  Do you have a link to your route? (apologies if you've posted it before)

@Freak that looks really cool.  I'm riding to Magalies on 19 March to camp over at Mountain Sanctuary Park.  Do you have a link to your route? (apologies if you've posted it before)

I only get it to export to gpx, sorry, having a slow morning... too bog to port here

message me your email and ill sent it to you

Where you cycling from?

Looks good Freak!

Would hate a crawley to pay me a visit .

What weight is that set-up?

Not that afraid of clawlies...

i felt save enough...

Total came to about 5kg, but varried as the diet changed along the route... 90% of my food i got along the way...

Not that afraid of clawlies...

i felt save enough...

Total came to about 5kg, but varried as the diet changed along the route... 90% of my food i got along the way...

Did you have a groundsheet, what would happen if it rained?

One option is a bivvy bag/basically a waterproof cover for your sleeping bag. Didn't all those waterbottles on the bars/forks make the handling a little heavy/awkward?

Did you have a groundsheet, what would happen if it rained?

One option is a bivvy bag/basically a waterproof cover for your sleeping bag. Didn't all those waterbottles on the bars/forks make the handling a little heavy/awkward?

My wife asked the same thing...

answer: if it rains i get up and cycle on... if it rains from the right angle, you could still get some sleep

you will see in the one pic I have little ground sheet (bivvy is too bulky for me), more for if the ground is already wet when pitching the tent.

I really did not find the extra water bottles to be an issue, Ive had them on for a couple of trips, on road and off, no hassle

We call it "adventure cycling" more than bike touring anyway...