Touring suggestion?

Sepia

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great stuff Freak.

I may be up to strength by then so would you mind if I could perhaps join you on one of the flatter sections?

should not be a problem... would have to be the first part on Freestate side... will post details

not sure when im going for sure...

should not be a problem... would have to be the first part on Freestate side... will post details

not sure when im going for sure...

Should also be no problem here.  I will be very flexible.  We can talk later.

Looks like an amazing route Freak! Would be interested in seeing the profile for the seven days if you are prepared to share it? Took me a day to get from himeville up to the top of Sani pass with my kit so I'm sure I would be needing more than 7 days for the route..   

the plan is 7 days... maybe August/September...

attachicon.gif1000km_1.JPG

Looks like an amazing route Freak! Would be interested in seeing the profile for the seven days if you are prepared to share it? Took me a day to get from himeville up to the top of Sani pass with my kit so I'm sure I would be needing more than 7 days for the route..   

Still working on it...

i cycled from Himeville to the top border post last year in 3.5hours, no kit

BUT, my kit setup is super lean at the moment. Planned average is 15km/h over the 7 days, will need to motor a bit on the 1st 2days before i enter Lesotho...

• 4 weeks later...

Slightly amended route and profile

attachicon.gifCapture2.JPG

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Thats a crazy route! Your trip seems to go counter clockwise, and if that is the case you are going to ride up Sani and Afriski on day 5 and 6? They are both HC climbs, but I am sure you already knew that. Are you planning on camping during your trip?

I just can't seem to get a nice 5 day, +-400 km route through Lesotho at the moment but I think this route going down Sani would be my best shot.

post-37005-0-45924200-1465799232_thumb.png

Thats a crazy route! Your trip seems to go counter clockwise, and if that is the case you are going to ride up Sani and Afriski on day 5 and 6? They are both HC climbs, but I am sure you already knew that. Are you planning on camping during your trip?

I just can't seem to get a nice 5 day, +-400 km route through Lesotho at the moment but I think this route going down Sani would be my best shot.

Yes, going UP Sani and yes, camping is the plan

We did Sani up and down last year, so i know what to expect

• 1 month later...

A photo from my recent overnight bikepacking adventure. Another seat bag made by Sepia. It works fantastic, I just loaded it wrong on the first use (which is why it is hanging a bit). Took it on some proper bumpy off-road conditions and no issues whatsoever.

post-64608-0-30321600-1468655376_thumb.jpg

post-64608-0-18252400-1468655389_thumb.jpg

Edited by tomezekiel

My opinion is these were made for European conditions.....I certainly would not use this particular rack on some of our roads? Motorways only?

not entirely true, actually a kiwi design that was quite successful. The swedes bought them out and rebranded. From what I've read they are pretty solid and adjustable to many bikes. The way to go for a dual susser

http://www.bicycletouringpro.com/blog/freeload-rack-review/

Edited by lets make MTB gr8 again

not entirely true, actually a kiwi design that was quite successful. The swedes bought them out and rebranded. From what I've read they are pretty solid and adjustable to many bikes. The way to go for a dual susser

http://www.bicycletouringpro.com/blog/freeload-rack-review/

Glad to hear.  I have just purchased one and still to try it out.

It looks quite ok on the rear and looks as though it could do the job.

I will maybe put it on the front for extended trios with the Old Man mountain on the back.

Thanks for the link.

A photo from my recent overnight bikepacking adventure. Another seat bag made by Sepia. It works fantastic, I just loaded it wrong on the first use (which is why it is hanging a bit). Took it on some proper bumpy off-road conditions and no issues whatsoever. More photos of the trip at http://www.wolfwolf.cc/20160716-overnight-bikepacking-theewaterskloof-dam/

attachicon.gif01.jpg

attachicon.gif02.jpg

Your blog pics made me feel homesick.  I spent 25yrs in that area and rode the same road as you, often.

Glad the saddlebag works although fitted incorrectly.  Mine is 100%.

Edited by Sepia

• 2 weeks later...

turn out my Lesotho trip is on ice... so to speak...

but will be doing a Loskop trip very soon... like in the next month or so...

done this route 4 times already, never gets old...

post-12987-0-53592200-1469609499_thumb.jpg

We have done a few such trips, did jhb to pmb in december, booked into backpackers along the way and even squeezed a 40km hike in up to Mount Aux Sources and back to take a break from riding the one day.

Must say as an AR enthusiast I prefer going old school with a maps and compass instead of a gps...