Touring suggestion?

Sepia

Cool thread,

Myself and two friends did a slow and scenic trip from the Caledonspoort border post in Lesotho , down through Lesotho exiting at Telle bridge. We then continued through to Cape Town.

Took us 32 days, 2500Km completely unsupported , we spent the odd night in BnB's.

In total it cost us each around R3000 each for a month of riding through South Africa- was awesome ! 

We made a little video if would like to watch

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2e4xjy_the-naked-trail-2014_sport

Very lekker trip.  Nice way to tour.  No place you have to be at a certain time, no strict plan, no race, have certain comforts, enjoy the ride, no commitments, take it all in.  

Must have been a blast!

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see you worked the bag out then?

How did you find it?

Edited by Sepia

Pink ticket is not required but in the interest of matrimonial harmony, it was asked for and received this weekend.

Planning  for the second chapter of my tour around the back roads of the Klein Karoo start today.

Last year I did Willowmore-de Rust via Meiringspoort, De Rust - Prince Albert via Oude Muragie road and Swartberg Pass, Prince Albert- Calitzdorp via the pass, Kruisrivier and Groenfontein, Calitzdorp-Top of Seweweekspoort and back to a farm in the Rooiberg via Huisrivier pass.

Thinking of doing something like Calitzdorp to Prince Albert over the pass; PA to somewhere in the Kammanassie via Meirings poort. Kammanassie to maybe van Wyksdorp,  van Wyksdorp to Calitzdorp via the Rooiberg pass.

Suggestions welcome !

Edited by eddy

Stop falling off and go ride your bike.... :)

OK - so that's 2.... wait for Friday....

Look who is talking. At least I don't have to investigate my helmet crash replacement offer...

I see you worked the bag out then?

How did you find it?

Perfect...

I fit my tarp,sleeping bag,pillow,shirt,shorts,jersy and later in the ride my arm warmers and body shell in the bag...

Leaving my frame back for tools and spares and the handlebar only for food...

Worked well!!!

just didnt have room for my stove, but i refused to take a back pack...

Perfect...

I fit my tarp,sleeping bag,pillow,shirt,shorts,jersy and later in the ride my arm warmers and body shell in the bag...

Worked well!!!

and i strapped the solar pannel ontop of it...

Look who is talking. At least I don't have to investigate my helmet crash replacement offer...

It's a bell.... no big deal....  :)

Perfect...

Worked well!!!

Pictures please of what goes in....  not quite sure how I would fit my sleeping bag in... :)

I have mapped out two potential ride for my year-end tour. One would be a 4 day ride of 400km and the second a three day one of about 320km.

I have not decided yet, but as both will start in Calitzdorp, I will probably do them anti-clockwise so I can do Rooiberg pass (its on both routes) and Swartberg pass in the early morning before the heat of the day.

The shorter one will in essence do most of the 36One in reverse with Oudtshoorn being missed out and staying further north in the Swartberg foothills.

post-50-0-02189900-1472813418_thumb.png

The longer one will do the same until de Rust when it will veer off through Meiringspoort towards Prince Albert and over the pass  along the reverse of the Swartberg 100 Grand Fondo route, before picking up the 36One route at Kruisrivier.  

post-50-0-60716000-1472813442_thumb.png

Comments or suggestions, particularly on places to stay.

Ps. I had noticed that van Wyksdorp is just off the route so I will try and make a plan to see if Margaret is there.....

Ok so the bug has bitten again! Damm reoccurring sicknesses I tell you foresooth. All this after a ride with eddy in the Cradle yesterday. Decisions need to be made build a new CX tourer, finish the expedition rig or dust off the Rans recumbent. In the mean time anyone got a Backburn front rack? And some front and back bags mine all donated to people unknown during the last move

• 2 weeks later...

A friend sent me this pic from the UK.  Cant work it out.  Electric?  Must be;

looks like a kick bike...   ...   ...why not???

looks like a kick bike...   ...   ...why not???

Wish I knew?  Sounds like a logical answer but keeping that going must be quite difficult, to say the least.