Touring suggestion?

Sepia

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SO 

im at it again... not quite a tour, but...

my own little dusk till dawn, unsupported adventure

leave Centurion friday night, cycle to Breedts nek, aim is to summit around 00:00 and cycle back, 200km of full moon night time bliss... anyone keen to join?

post-12987-0-03395300-1473762282_thumb.png

14 Oct

Does anyone have any experience of design of bicycle trailers that they can share? I'm looking to tour with my dog (border collie) and need to build one. It will be predominantly dirt road touring. I've seen the child carriers that can be purchased, but I'm not sure that they will withstand a couple of thousand kms of dirt road.

I had one of these tipes of bikes for my son, if you can modify one of these to have a "flat bed" and use it as a trailer it woulod be the cheapest and most easy option

Or copy the hotching mechanism, it WILL work...

post-12987-0-04004000-1474437351_thumb.jpg

Does anyone have any experience of design of bicycle trailers that they can share? I'm looking to tour with my dog (border collie) and need to build one. It will be predominantly dirt road touring. I've seen the child carriers that can be purchased, but I'm not sure that they will withstand a couple of thousand kms of dirt road.

I'd be tempted to try and stick with the child carrier idea or a modified version - if it was robust enough - as it has suspension (if I remember correctly?). Or put suspension on your flat-bed on a half-wheeler? No reason why your collie should bounce like luggage. And don't forget.....all the gear, all the time!  :whistling:

post-77414-0-47677200-1474443416.jpg

I'd be tempted to try and stick with the child carrier idea or a modified version - if it was robust enough - as it has suspension (if I remember correctly?). Or put suspension on your flat-bed on a half-wheeler? No reason why your collie should bounce like luggage. And don't forget.....all the gear, all the time!  :whistling:

attachicon.gifsafety-in-bicycle-dog-carrier.jpg

I missed out on the trailer in the classified last week and haven't been able to find one since. Absolutely regarding the suspension. Our dogs are our children so safety is a priority - not too sure about helmet for dog though :whistling: . 

She will be wearing a pair of tackies for Karoo thorns!

I had one of these tipes of bikes for my son, if you can modify one of these to have a "flat bed" and use it as a trailer it woulod be the cheapest and most easy option

Or copy the hotching mechanism, it WILL work...

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

Good idea. The coupling to the bike is the part I'm battling to envisage at the moment.

very simple

google can supply you with plenty ideas on that hitch

I was looking a building a trailer couple of years back thats why i know, did my home work back then already

I missed out on the trailer in the classified last week and haven't been able to find one since. Absolutely regarding the suspension. Our dogs are our children so safety is a priority - not too sure about helmet for dog though :whistling: . 

She will be wearing a pair of tackies for Karoo thorns!

Just a thought - have you put out a wanted ad?

I built a few in 2011 after I did a tour with a borrowed "bob trailer" in Alaska the year prior.  I've got some pictures and might even have some drawings.  I scrapped 4 of the trailers that i built last year, because these were designed for a quick-release 26" MTB and at the time I've upgraded to a 27.5" through axle.

Bob trailers (you can google it) have a great design that really rides well on all sorts of terrain.  The critical design parameter is the angle of the hinge between the front triangle and the trailer base.

I built a few in 2011 after I did a tour with a borrowed "bob trailer" in Alaska the year prior.  I've got some pictures and might even have some drawings.  I scrapped 4 of the trailers that i built last year, because these were designed for a quick-release 26" MTB and at the time I've upgraded to a 27.5" through axle.

Bob trailers (you can google it) have a great design that really rides well on all sorts of terrain.  The critical design parameter is the angle of the hinge between the front triangle and the trailer base.

Thank you for this

• 1 month later...