Touring suggestion?

Sepia

I have had this idea in my head for some time and wonder what other Hubbers may think? I know they will suggest something!

What about arranging short slow tours initially with an overnight stop and return the next day? It could begin with full support gradually doing longer trips increasing the number of overnight stops if required? These longer trips could be supported or unsupported?

I feel this would introduce more people to trekking and to see another dimension of cycling which people may be uncertain about but would like to try. Safety in numbers? Move from one town to the next and invade on another Hubbers hospitality.....

Opinions welcome. Just a thought.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We (3) did knysna>uniondale>patensie>jbay unsupported over 5 days @ 65 km per day ave in 2004. Basically doing a reverse k2c and transbaviaans at a leisurely pace.was an awesome time...

We (3) did knysna>uniondale>patensie>jbay unsupported over 5 days @ 65 km per day ave in 2004. Basically doing a reverse k2c and transbaviaans at a leisurely pace.was an awesome time...

Did you overnight in B&Bs?

Did you overnight in B&Bs?

friend in knysna, b&b in uniondale and baviaans, dad's farm in patensie.

On our first trip through the baviaans we freecamped. Was way back in 2000 on my 1st mtb ride.

I know of a good place to base such S24O's   ;)

I am sure you do!

Could be longer and leaving from a central point, town specific.

I'm with Sepia.

This sort of thing needs to be grown until it becomes a culture.

The events they have in the States are evidence of the possibilities. I'm not talking about racing, per se, just riding.

The recent Grinduro, the Salsa Ride Camps organized touring on publicly accessible routes.

Bikepacking.com has a travelogue on it where the two protagonists travelled through South Africa and a few more Southern African countries.

Frikking amazing scenery.

What's not to like?

I have had this idea in my head for some time and wonder what other Hubbers may think? I know they will suggest something!

What about arranging short slow tours initially with an overnight stop and return the next day? It could begin with full support gradually doing longer trips increasing the number of overnight stops if required? These longer trips could be supported or unsupported?

I feel this would introduce more people to trekking and to see another dimension of cycling which people may be uncertain about but would like to try. Safety in numbers? Move from one town to the next and invade on another Hubbers hospitality.....

Opinions welcome. Just a thought.

So when shall I expect you at my place?

So when shall I expect you at my place?

Plan to leave this weekend but going on to Boston.  Bypass Pmb (fortunately!) Route bit sketchy but will wing it.  Beauty about this - no rush.

Need those bars though......

Edited by Sepia

where is sunny SA you planning this?

We have done some bike packing round northern province and mpumalanga

I would be very interested, live in Pretoria and would prefer to start from here of course but it's not a deal breaker to travel.

Currently trying to recover from some medical issues  (unfortunately areas with malaria are out for me too) but should be good to go from about mid February, I don't mind whether it's road, off road or a mixture of both, camping or B&B.

Each town could hang this together for themselves and move onto another town by road if the bush is not your thing.

Just looking at getting people out there who do not race or are unable to race.

Putting some miles in to a different place is more appealing than finishing at the start?  Going places is better!

This could lead to doing further distances and to check gear if the intention is to go minimalist for events coming up you are not sure about doing but would like to give it a try?

Durban is a good place to start something like this?

Edited by Sepia