Trail or XC

darthvader007

First, I have this 26" that I want to sell :http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-sports-bicycles-fitness/durbanville/26-gt-marathon-1-0-all-terra-mountain-bike-mtb/1001531821490910052422009

What is a reasonable price?

Then, what should I buy, XC or trail? I live in Durbanville and want to enjoy the koppies around me, but also want to get real fit for a big motorcycle race I am doing.

Can a trail climb properly? Can it do 50km easily?

No idea on old bike, most new bikes climb well. Look at review on the hub on the silverback slider for example.

Rocky thunderbolt is what I want, anthem 27.5 sx, pyga 120, it's all goin t t abou your budget.

And what about my 26" :) What should I ask?

I had a 2011 Trance X with fox and xt parts, only managed to get R8k on that a few months back. Even though the 26in bikes are great no-one wants them really.

Lots of trail bikes can climb very well and lots of dual 'xc' bikes like the Anthem have more then enough travel for most of the trail riding that people in SA do on a day to day basis. 

Work out where you're going to be riding most and get a bike that will work for it with the angles that you're going to enjoy. Do you want to a tight racer or a more playful, knock about type beast. Also who will you ride with? Lycra XC mile munchers or a bunch of guys exploring? Most of the time I'd say you're not going to need 140+ of travel in 90% of the places unless you like to huck and throw big lines... which if you're a MX rider you might very well. 

most bikes today are trail orientated unless you buy some 80mm suspension carbon hardtail thing that weighs 9kg and cracks if you pedal too hard.

I think a nice 120mm pyga or even a Trance 27.5 or a Anthem 27.5 SX just about any bike will do. When you start enjoying the mountain bike more than the motorized and wanna get more serious - you already have a more than capable bike.

I do XC and trail and whatever else is out there with my Trance 27.5 which is 140mm ... kind of that 1 bike that does everything well scenario.

This is a topic I'm also very interested in.

most bikes today are trail orientated unless you buy some 80mm suspension carbon hardtail thing that weighs 9kg and cracks if you pedal too hard.

I think a nice 120mm pyga or even a Trance 27.5 or a Anthem 27.5 SX just about any bike will do. When you start enjoying the mountain bike more than the motorized and wanna get more serious - you already have a more than capable bike.

I do XC and trail and whatever else is out there with my Trance 27.5 which is 140mm ... kind of that 1 bike that does everything well scenario.

@s14phoenix You've touched on a scenario I currently face: buy a Trance or an Anthem.

If I want to ride socially I know I will be riding with pure XC riders. That does not change the fact that I love trails first and foremost. I'm really torn about which bike to get as I don't want to sell a few months down the line.

Edit: I've created my own topic as I've narrowed down bikes too.

Edited by justanotherbiker

This is a topic I'm also very interested in.

@s14phoenix You've touched on a scenario I currently face: buy a Trance or an Anthem.

If I want to ride socially I know I will be riding with pure XC riders. That does not change the fact that I love trails first and foremost. I'm really torn about which bike to get as I don't want to sell a few months down the line.

Edit: I've created my own topic as I've narrowed down bikes too.

...ok, he's a bit over the edge wrt 80mm cracking when you pedal hard...????

..but ANYway,..for your purpose, I'd get an Anthem and slap on an "adjustable" fork,..it'll cover all your needs ????

Edited by BRAND:O)N

Thank you for your valuable insights.  It seems I need a trail bike with about 120mm of travel.  The Anthem looks like the tool for the job!

Now I must just sell the 26!