Let me introduce KODI to you...

Johnstoneighty6

Tedi.....please tell me your couch is made from a recycled citi golf :)

Most of what you said now is still Greek to me, but I get the gist of what you are doing and it sounds great

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hairy... no VW were killed or hurt in the making of my lounge..... Just skillfully skinned .....

Sonar. Is like couch potato.. or sickbeard.. used to get the metadata for series or movies. Will also keep tabs. On release dates and can automatically search for torrent files.. very useful

New features added to the phoenix addon including a lot of sports channels with numerous links :)

Also movies and tv series under Pheonix tv

Edited by shaper

• 2 weeks later...

I added Exodus last night as well as the Metal Kettle and the Turks addons (after reading good reviews online)

Streamed a bit of BBC Two last night watching a documentary about the Aussie coastline. Also started streaming Deadpool and saw that the new Superman vs Batman movie was available to stream as well.

Now just to figure out the EPG....

FTV Repo and FTV EPG Guide

IVue Repo and IVue EPG Guide

Renegades EPG Guide

Cheers thanks!

Will have a look tonight.

after reading this thread and speaking to a few guys here i decided to try it out and i must say i regret not doing this sooner, last week thursday i cancelled my dstv. whole family is extremely happy with the decision, no more repeats no more ads i watch what i want when i want to and save so much money in the process. sport is abit difficult to watch and get used to and quality is not as good but thats a small price to pay.

I ordered one of these this morning from Takealot:

http://media3.takealot.com/covers_tsins/41261749/6009704922865-1-zoom.jpg?1435909378

Very similar to the Rii i8 (Supplier out of stock) so decided to go for this one instead. Looks very similar though...

My TV Box remote is a bit temperamental... I have a Microsoft Wireless keyboard plugged in at the moment and that is working but just a bit on the big side.

I have 2 differnet keyboards and one is the same as you just ordered.  Quality is much better than my first keyboard, works well as a remote and you have the luxury of the keyboard for search functions and installing addons

I have 2 differnet keyboards and one is the same as you just ordered. Quality is much better than my first keyboard, works well as a remote and you have the luxury of the keyboard for search functions and installing addons

I started using raspberry pi with this keyboard. Does you keyboard lose connection at times. I then have to pull the dongle out and insert again to establish connection.

I started using raspberry pi with this keyboard. Does you keyboard lose connection at times. I then have to pull the dongle out and insert again to establish connection.

Ai... don't say that.... My TV Box remote loses connection every now and again... that's the reason for getting the keyboard. Tested a full size keyboard for the last week and it works when the remote doesn't. Would have kept it but it is a bit bulky and lacking the media functions.

I'm have a IR remote that does something similar.

I still find using my phone as a remote is quicker and easier.. and if you need to type. the phone keyboard works a charm

Never had this problem, you sure it is not the keyboard going into sleep mode, to conserve battery?

I generally just have to press a key and the keyboard wakes up from sleep and is active again.  Else I sometimes just toggle the keyboard switch off then on again

Okay, KODI noob... be patient....

I've opbtained a KODI pre-installed android device. Before using that, to get used to it, I installed KODI on PC and started playing around. I have some add-ons, I have the FTV EPG. 

BUT... one serious question. How the heck do I "record"? As example - I know MotoGP is coming up on say Sunday at 14:00, channel x. I am out riding a bike, jogging, or visiting. 14:00 is really an inconvenient time...  :whistling: Anyhow, how can I now "record" the MotoGP (as example - whatever live sport) to watch when we've returned, put the little one to bed and wifey is having her Sunday evening chillaxing bath?

Or am I missing the/a point entirely? :blush:

PS/Edit: I have not played around with the android mox whatsoever, it may become (even more) apparent that I am an idiot once I've done that... 

Edited by SeaBee

Okay, KODI noob... be patient....

I've opbtained a KODI pre-installed android device. Before using that, to get used to it, I installed KODI on PC and started playing around. I have some add-ons, I have the FTV EPG. 

BUT... one serious question. How the heck do I "record"? As example - I know MotoGP is coming up on say Sunday at 14:00, channel x. I am out riding a bike, jogging, or visiting. 14:00 is really an inconvenient time...  :whistling: Anyhow, how can I now "record" the MotoGP (as example - whatever live sport) to watch when we've returned, put the little one to bed and wifey is having her Sunday evening chillaxing bath?

Or am I missing the/a point entirely? :blush:

PS/Edit: I have not played around with the android mox whatsoever, it may become (even more) apparent that I am an idiot once I've done that... 

Am not 100% sure but from what reading have done is not possible. Well not easily possible to do.

Firstly you need a reliable stream, you then have to organise the kodi software to change from the home screen or whatever addon it was on and to go to the relevant addon for the sport you want to record or mu3 IPTV file, then connect and go live and then record.... whilst you are out riding your bike.

Unlike DSTV which broadcasts over the air all channels all the time live, kodi is internet which only "streams" a single live tv channel when connected/downloading to watch, to change channels you literally disconnect from that stream, go to a new stream and reconnect. 2 entirely different formats!!

You will need to do a lot of reading on IPTV, PVR functions such as IPTVSimple or TVheadend and then a backend.

Many kodi users overseas also install tv tuner cards for the "Free to Air Channels" to their computers/media boxes and PVR via the tv card.

I did a fair bit of reading a year or so ago and gave up on the idea.  Things may have developed/changed since then so you will have to research the kodi forums for more knowledgeable solutions if there is one ,, and enjoy learning another language as you have to try and build your PVR 

Here some forums to get you started and you may have to do a lot of googling

http://forum.kodi.tv/

https://forums.tvaddons.ag/

https://www.reddit.com/r/kodi/

Google PVR recording https://www.google.co.za/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=pvr%20recording%20on%20kodi

So think you are trying to compare apples with oranges with regard to kodi and dstv pvr recording.

I may be wrong as I said it was a year or so ago that I looked at it and I gave up on the idea... things move quickly in kodi/programming and addons/PVR fuctionability so may have changed.

If you do find a solution let us know :)