Flat Pedals vs Flat SPD Pedals vs SPD Pedals

AlanD

^^This.

Flats teach you proper technique through forcing you to keep your heels down and become one with the bike through your feet. They're superb.

Fit them. Now. There's a pair of SAINTS going for R 500 in the classifieds, otherwise the GIant pedals offer a good budget alternative. 5-10's are worth every penny.

SPD with cage (platform pedals) offer a little bit more security than normal spuddies, in that there's not as much urgency to relocate the cleat - you have a wider, less slippy surface to plant your foot when you get going again, until such time as you can re-cleat without hassle.

I'm running SPD's with a platform at the moment, but I'm just about to change back to my flats 'cos I just can't get to grips with the feeling of being attached. I used to ride SPD all the time, but the feeling of being confined to one foot position is off-putting.

If you want to learn proper technique, flats are the only way to go. Once you've got the technique down, you can then move back over to SPD's if you really want to, and carry your new-found skills across.

Flats also make it far easier to just hop on the bike for a quick trip to the shops or your mate's place without having to look like a ballerina.

What about the option of having a flat pedal with spd one side as a starting point so you have best of both? Someone mentioned not to sit on the fence though..

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it seems like a Friday thread but maybe it will continue into Friday and become a Friday tjread..lol

Quite like the idea of cleat one side and flat the other as a starting point.

nope don’t do it, that was my only regret

What about the option of having a flat pedal with spd one side as a starting point so you have best of both? Someone mentioned not to sit on the fence though..

NO. 

That is all. 

Okay - real reason. 

ZERO grip on those POS's. As in nada, niks, nutting. You either get cleats, or flats. Not some Jenner flip-flop. 

The thing is you end up turning your peddle around and it always stops on the wrong side.  This takes all the fun away.

Fun is Priority No 1

My dad rides flip flops...... he doesn't know better. But he also rides mostly blue trails. For him its working but I hate them they become a problem to clip in and when on flats they provide no grip.

If you have time to read, you can have a look at this.

http://www.bikejames.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Flat-Pedal-Revolution-Manifesto.pdf

"But what I don’t like to see is a rider start using clipless pedals too soon and not take advantage of the lessons that flat pedals force them to learn. Too often a well-meaning fellow rider will see them struggling on the trail and suggest to them that getting clipless pedals will help them out. They know that being attached to the pedals keeps your feet from flying off and makes it easier to bunny hop so why not help a newbie by encouraging them to make the switch?

The problem is that a lot of riders have a tough time learning several key lessons on clipless pedals and this makes it important for them to develop these skills before making the switch. Those struggles that are avoided with clipless pedals contain lessons that help you pedal and ride more efficiently.

By working through those struggles on flats you become much better, well rounded riders who can then transfer those skills to the more complex clipless pedal system."

From James Wilson

NO.

That is all.

Okay - real reason.

ZERO grip on those POS's. As in nada, niks, nutting. You either get cleats, or flats. Not some Jenner flip-flop.

Lol...Get it. So what about the 5 tens..can i use flat pedals with takkies in the interim or will this put me off?

Just thinking of cost here.

Lol...Get it. So what about the 5 tens..can i use flat pedals with takkies in the interim or will this put me off?

Yeah, you can. Some sort of skate shoe or old running shoe that's been worn flat would do the trick. 

Just be prepared to be amazed when you change to 5-10's/

I ride with a pair of Vans, they work lekker.

Good place to look is at the flee market, get a pair of skate shoes there.

If you have time to read, you can have a look at this.

http://www.bikejames.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Flat-Pedal-Revolution-Manifesto.pdf

"But what I don’t like to see is a rider start using clipless pedals too soon and not take advantage of the lessons that flat pedals force them to learn. Too often a well-meaning fellow rider will see them struggling on the trail and suggest to them that getting clipless pedals will help them out. They know that being attached to the pedals keeps your feet from flying off and makes it easier to bunny hop so why not help a newbie by encouraging them to make the switch?

The problem is that a lot of riders have a tough time learning several key lessons on clipless pedals and this makes it important for them to develop these skills before making the switch. Those struggles that are avoided with clipless pedals contain lessons that help you pedal and ride more efficiently.

By working through those struggles on flats you become much better, well rounded riders who can then transfer those skills to the more complex clipless pedal system."

From James Wilson

Will be sure to give this a read..thanks

Yeah, you can. Some sort of skate shoe or old running shoe that's been worn flat would do the trick. 

Just be prepared to be amazed when you change to 5-10's/

Sk8 shoes are great and SUPER grippy on the flats...IMHO potentially even more so than the 5-10...BUT they're not as stiff, so don't pedal quite as well and they die WAY faster.

The other option is the Specialized 2FO. Similar price to 5-10 and I prefer them. But...man after 2.5 months and about 700km they're showing quite a LOT of wear on the soles from my Saint pedals.

Great flats as well are the DMR's which yuo can often pickup for very cheap (try Dial'd bikes). CRC has them for great prices, I had the DMR V8's for about 5 years, NO services and only changed to the Saint's cos I wanted new pedals. The Wellgo DMR V8 copies go for about R250 on CRC. But as someone said earlier...The Saints for R500 in classifieds here are a great deal! :)

Just remember to take the washers out from under the pins on the outsides of the pedal or they don't quite feel grippy enough.

Sk8 shoes are great and SUPER grippy on the flats...IMHO potentially even more so than the 5-10...BUT they're not as stiff, so don't pedal quite as well and they die WAY faster.

The other option is the Specialized 2FO. Similar price to 5-10 and I prefer them. But...man after 2.5 months and about 700km they're showing quite a LOT of wear on the soles from my Saint pedals.

Great flats as well are the DMR's which yuo can often pickup for very cheap (try Dial'd bikes). CRC has them for great prices, I had the DMR V8's for about 5 years, NO services and only changed to the Saint's cos I wanted new pedals. The Wellgo DMR V8 copies go for about R250 on CRC. But as someone said earlier...The Saints for R500 in classifieds here are a great deal! :)

Just remember to take the washers out from under the pins on the outsides of the pedal or they don't quite feel grippy enough.

I have a pair of old mongoose flat pedals and think one or two, perhaps more pins have come off. Should i ise these as a trial with running shoes that i have or will the put me off for life?

I want to try the flat route at some point but don't want to be put off at first try as i am sure it will take many many many many times to start getting a feel for it

I have a pair of old mongoose flat pedals and think one or two, perhaps more pins have come off. Should i ise these as a trial with running shoes that i have or will the put me off for life?

I want to try the flat route at some point but don't want to be put off at first try as i am sure it will take many many many many times to start getting a feel for it

I rode flats with old trail running shoes for like 2 years...until the shoe was moertoe. Only then did try skate shows and then only move to MTB specific flat shoes.

If you want good deals on skate shoes check these guys out they always have them on sale...

http://www.revolution.co.za/

I think the pedal is more important than the shoe to be honest. At least that's what my experience tells me. 

As for pedalling efficiency...negligable difference when riding trails with your mates. I'm often out front on hills anyway riding with other peeps who are not unfit and ride clipped in.

I would guess for long dreary boring gravel road commutes (i.e. gravel radies) clipping in might be more efficient :)

replaceable pins? If so, then yeah. Just grab some grub screws and replace the ones that have come off. 

replaceable pins? If so, then yeah. Just grab some grub screws and replace the ones that have come off.

Will check the pedals when i get home.

James Wilson says in his articles that you should give it 12 rides to get used to flats.

I use flats with 5-10s for part of the year, usually now, and then switch back to clipins when I start pushing up the milage

Archived