Flat Pedals vs Flat SPD Pedals vs SPD Pedals

AlanD

I put flat pedals on my new bike last month and the issues I've had so far are the following: (all due to bad habits / lack of skills).

1. Riding up switchbacks is proving to be difficult. I clearly relied on the up-stroke with cleats to get up switchbacks and am still trying to do it.

2. Bunny Hops - I learnt to do bunny hops with cleats so completely the incorrect technique. Just watch a few videos online and you will see how easily the guys to it. At this point I can now bunny hop a stick, just need to practice more and progress to a log.

3. Jumps / Drops. My feet keep leaving the pedals in the air. Also due to bad technique. After watching a few videos to learn the proper technique I can now do small jumps without my feet leaving the pedals.

Other than that, I really am enjoying the flat pedals. Don't have the right shoes yet, but I do have a birthday coming up in 2 months and have already been throwing the hints :-)

I feel that I am finally learning to ride a bike properly and am loving it.

Awsome, that sounds positive. I know i will have those issues and may not be as fun cos i probably won't be able to do alot of stuff but have to start somewhere

Please tell me the technique you learnt for the drop/jumps to keep you feet on the pedals...been reading about this and it seems you need to tilt your feet slightly down and push against the pedals??

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awsome, that sounds positive. I know i will have those issues and may not be as fun cos i probably won't be able to do alot of stuff but have to start somewhere

Please tell me the technique you learnt for the drop/jumps to keep you feet on the pedals...been reading about this and it seems you need to tilt your feet slightly down and push against the pedals??

Drop your heels, and bend your legs. The end. 

Drop your heels, and bend your legs. The end. 

Drop your seatpost too...That'll help create the compression, by getting your butt low down, between your feet and hands holding the bike in place

Having recently had a #:@#!! Moment when my foot slipped off my pedal resulting in me landing on the top bar in a very painful and unladylike fashion, I think it's time I reconsider my takkies and default cheap pedals approach. Shall be paying attention to this.

Drop your seatpost too...That'll help create the compression, by getting your butt low down, between your feet and hands holding the bike in place

Luckily i have a dropper post that I use at every drop off :).

Cornering? Same principle of outside leg down, hips turned into the corner? I have been getting better at this so wouldn't want to loose this also with the transition

Cornering? Same principle of outside leg down, hips turned into the corner? I have been getting better at this so wouldn't want to loose this also with the transition

Same same, don't worry about cornering. In all honest you'll probably find it easier on the flats. You can get a foot out more easily if you need to in a hurry

Cornering is actually much easier. Your body weight feels planted on the larger contact area and when you turn your hips your flat shoes grip into the pins aiding rotation of the bike through the corner. More stabilty.

Cornering is actually much easier. Your body weight feels planted on the larger contact area and when you turn your hips your flat shoes grip into the pins aiding rotation of the bike through the corner. More stabilty.

Also, dropping your heels here helps as well. As it does while clipped in also  :thumbup:

Interesting thread with lots of opinions, but If I look at the UCI downhill rankings, it seems clear that if you really want to go fast you clip in.

E.g. if the Crank brothers marketing is to be believed 7 of the top 10 UCI downhill racers ride Mallet DH Race.

Furthermore, if you look at the Downhill World Champions over the past 10 years, with exception of Sam Hill, they all ride clip in.

Loïc Bruni

Gee Atherton

Greg Minaar

Danny Hart

Steve Peat

Interesting thread with lots of opinions, but If I look at the UCI downhill rankings, it seems clear that if you really want to go fast you clip in.

E.g. if the Crank brothers marketing is to be believed 7 of the top 10 UCI downhill racers ride Mallet DH Race.

Furthermore, if you look at the Downhill World Champions over the past 10 years, with exception of Sam Hill, they all ride clip in.

Loïc Bruni

Gee Atherton

Greg Minaar

Danny Hart

Steve Peat

Its finally Friday!

Loïc Bruni

Gee Atherton

Greg Minaar

Danny Hart

Steve Peat

Yeah, but we're nowhere near their level of skill, and they ALL started and got the skills down on flat pedals. Once you've developed a good base, you can then move on over to cleats and use the skills you've learnt on flats. 

you can't learn how to do those things properly whilst clipped in. It just builds bad habits. 

Oh, and even Gee has had to switch out his cleats for flats when it gets really gnarly and wet. 

Yeah, but we're nowhere near their level of skill, and they ALL started and got the skills down on flat pedals. Once you've developed a good base, you can then move on over to cleats and use the skills you've learnt on flats. 

you can't learn how to do those things properly whilst clipped in. It just builds bad habits. 

Oh, and even Gee has had to switch out his cleats for flats when it gets really gnarly and wet. 

or you can go to cleats later, decide they're *** then go back to flats like I did :P

Flats and my orange tekkies . Flat pedal shoes are just another marketing ploy to get you to spend more of your beer money . And take out a few of those pins on the pedals to get that weight advantage you always been dreaming of.

... and if you so wish and need the benefits that cleats present then swop the pedals back.

in a perfect world we all have endless money and a bike for each purpose (same bike but one with flats and one with cleats)

there is no wrong or right here... some people will never need or use the skills they may or may not acquire on flats and some people will never need to be clipped in.

I sit on all sides of the fence... there actually is no fence... you got to do what suits you and what you want to achieve or need to do... I need to learn some skills so I am getting flats to swop out and learn some skills I WANT to learn to have even more fun.

Loïc Bruni

Gee Atherton

Greg Minaar

Danny Hart

Steve Peat

100% correct. I wonder what the ratio of cleats to flats was when Sam Hill was on the top of his game. He has hardly shown what he's capable of in the last 3 years or so and keeps crashing badly. Maybe he should switch too....

Archived